Maintenance myths

/ Maintenance myths #41  
Last year I bought a one owner 2000 Buick Century with 80K miles on it. It was in very good condition but the water pump went out. My mechanic replaced the water pump and needless to say the coolant in that engine looked like crap. Those 3.4L Buick engines are known for bad lower intake manifold gaskets. Regular maintenance includes periodic coolant flushing. We've run diesels here on the farm for years and as a rule of thumb we've always kept the additives up to date on the coolant and flush out every five years. Never had an issue with cavitation.

/ Maintenance myths #43  
Me Too!

I gotta hear this reasoning.:laughing:

Well apparently it gets on your clothes and costs you money. Some things that the grease does not go back out into the air could fill up with grease. But greasing them wheel spindles looks to me like overgreasing might cause a mess, but if you wipe off the old grease each time, (which I do) I don't see how that would be much of a problem if I greased it every hour on the hour.

/ Maintenance myths #44  
I bought a new Scag Tiger Cat II, there are plugs where the grease fittings go in the wheel casters, fittings everywhere else, dealer told me Scag removed them because people were breaking them off.

When I install mine for the next greasing they'll stay there.

Not sure why they didn't install them on the backside of the spindle, or even the top if breaking was the problem.

/ Maintenance myths #45  
I bought a new Scag Tiger Cat II, there are plugs where the grease fittings go in the wheel casters, fittings everywhere else, dealer told me Scag removed them because people were breaking them off.

When I install mine for the next greasing they'll stay there.

Not sure why they didn't install them on the backside of the spindle, or even the top if breaking was the problem.

Sounds like the engineer could have used a dose of "real world".

/ Maintenance myths #46  
Just because one person got by 19 years without changing coolant doesn't mean the next person will. That is the same with a lot of the maintenance items. I was surprised, however, after retiring from Caterpillar early and taking up farming at how frequent the service intervals are. Construction equipment users will not tolerate that, at least not Cat's customers. An example is hydraulic oil - with my last machine series I was able to increase hydraulic oil change from 1,000 hours to 2,000 hours, 4,000 hours if testing the oil at 1,000 hour intervals. Engine oil - 250 hours wasn't good enough so with filter improvements, improved oils, and a slight crankcase increase we got that up to 500 hours. Coolant, everything leaves the factory with ELC, extended life coolant good for 5 years. What is so different? I do know that at Cat we filter our hydraulic oil to a cleanliness much better than that of my Kubotas. But one unexplained item is that now Cat uses Kubota engines and uses Cat's oil change interval instead of Kubota's. Surely the same engine in a Kubota compact track loader can't see all that much higher duty cycle than it does in a Caterpillar compact track loader.

But then again realize that service intervals are educated best guesses. When a machine is released for production none of the test machines have ever run to the end of life. At Caterpillar every machine worked on by a dealer, in or out of warranty, is logged into the system giving a tremendous amount of data with which to work, and we have tools to analyze all that data.

As for my largest Kubota tractor, fluids have been changed by the book and samples go to the Cat dealer whose system keeps track by serial number even though it is not Cat. All samples have come in green with the comment that no wear metals above usual found, continue to service at recommended intervals. That is boiler plate for they're covering their *** not saying I should extend intervals but nothing is wearing, it's barely broke in.

/ Maintenance myths #47  
I guess I will have to go to church and bring this up during confession, for I have sinned

May the vehicle gods forgive me and the moneys I have saved I will contribute to the church

That should make it ok

/ Maintenance myths #48  
Just to be clear - referring to a
WET sleeved diesel engine correct?

DRY sleeved diesels are supposedly about the same as a parent bore design, as far as coolant cavitation damage risk.
I have heard dry sleeved engines may not cool as well as a Wet sleeve design though. Of course this wouldn't help the water pump damage shown do to worn out/ depleted / or incorrect coolant.

True...I should have been more specific and said wet sleeved engines.

/ Maintenance myths #49  
I have to admit that I might slip a few year on changing of coolant. With 5 years lifetime, it sometimes sneaks up on you that it has been more than that time since changing. Many times I look at the coolant color and if not discolored, I may let it slip for some time. I cant believe anyone can go 19 years without changing the coolant and it still be good, likely it is rusty as all get out by the time it hits 7-10 years if it had 5 year coolant.
I just had the coolant changed on my 2007 truck for the first time even though it was still pristine in appearance. Also had the coolant changed in wife's 2003 for the second time (first time was when water pump bearings failed in 2007) as it hit 100K miles. It should be good for the life of the car now (up to 2021).
As for greasing bearings, too much grease can make the bearings overheat plus cause them to be harder to turn thus robbing power from your engine. I have seen this confirmed on large industrial electric motors due to excess amp draw but it is not easily determined on internal combustion engines. I too am guilty of over greasing lawnmower bearings due to not being able to see if grease is coming out like it does on wheels etc. so I pump about 10 shots in each bearing about every 20 hours on the clock (about twice a year) and hope it is good.

/ Maintenance myths #50  
Some equipment like bakers and mowers that get a lot of chaff you don't want too much grease. Then it attracts junk in the bearing areas and maybe they run a little hotter. If you can see and reach the squeeze-out to wipe it up I'd favor more than not-enough myself.
Jim