Maintenance myths

/ Maintenance myths #51  
New filter "specs" is proprietary information (all colors/brands do this). All that the aftermarket can do is cut apart and attempt to reverse engineer. So that it fits the application but does not necc do the same thing. Probably overkill for lower priced machines like l&g, but buyer beware there is some junk out there in the aftermarket world and unless it is a filter that has been around for many years the aftermarkets DO NOT have specs for any brand of oem filters. I know, someone will say that this oem has filters built by this company, etc. But the last thing that filter company wants to do is tick off the oem, get sued, lose a lot of money and a customer. IMAO

Greetings Morrison,

My own personal experiences don't agree with the idea you expressed of how aftermarket filter manufacturer's operate on tractor parts. I'll use an example of just this week. My Massey Gc1700 series parts are all branded under the parent company name of Agco. I had recently purchased a couple Wix compatible oil filters but was unable to get a hydro filter and hadn't even considered a fuel filter. So recently I was at an.open house at my Massey dealer and they had a parts sale so I got a fuel filter, another oil filter, and a hydro filter. All AGco product.

I took those boxed items to two different auto parts stores who each contacted their helpndesks with the actual agco part numbers. Here is what I was told.

"No problem getting their brand of compatible oil filter and fuel filter, because Agco had released the oem specifications and measurements a couple years ago. But the hydro filter we can't provide because AGCO as yet has not released the specifications andvrequirements for that hydro filter item. When they do . . We will be able to have an alternate choice."

The filter business appears to operate much today like the pharma industry. Their products are their engineered specs and filtration requirements in order for the existence of generics to be safe. Similarly the manufacturers of equipment have filters built for them by a filter company . . . but they don't have the patent protections that drugs do. So manufacturers release the same specs to 3rd party filter asdociation membets willingly at given times. The specs and requirements are the same as when the manufacturer gives to the company that makes filters for their own branding as the manufacturer. The manufacturer may require certain methods or components used to attain the specs with their own filters . . Where the 3rd party makers are free to use their own methods or material choices as long as all the sizes and filtration flows and numbers and bypass processes are the same.

The only variation I know of today . . . is filter suppliers that don't belong to the National Asdiciation or pay no fees. But that's been my experience. Many tests done over the years on oil filters show some remarkable differences in how makers achieve those specs and requirements but then many brands are really made by a hand full of actual manufacturers and sold under many names. My favorites personally are wix and purolator for many vehicle choices . . Without paying lavish prices for premium filters.

Here's the funny part of the story. Dealer pricing varies a great deal on parts as each dealer chooses their markup factors. Both the oil filter and fuel filters I bought from the dealer on their parts sale were cheaper than either parts supply chains I checked lol. In fact a fair amount cheaper percentage wise.

I'm sure all dealers vary on thst situation.

/ Maintenance myths #52  
My owners manual calls for flushing the cooling system every 2 years or 2000 hours. But after owning it for 3 years it has only 275 hours on it. Maybe I'll flush it next year if i don't forget.

/ Maintenance myths #53  
I am rather bad on the coolant as well. I change it out ever 5 years when I do the belts and radiator hoses.

/ Maintenance myths #54  
You're supposed to change coolant out?

/ Maintenance myths #58  
I am rather bad on the coolant as well. I change it out ever 5 years when I do the belts and radiator hoses.
You're supposed to change belts or hoses before they break?

Last edited:
   / Maintenance myths #59  
All this talk about coolant reminds me of my auto shop class in High school back in the early 80s. We had attachments for flushing the water out, and tests we took on the coolant. Over the years, I just forgot all about that and haven't changed the water ever since unless I blow a hose or the radiator. I do that often enough on my tractors that I'm probably right on schedule. I just took out the radiator on my backhoe last month because a very aggressive branch found it way through my screen and put a pin hole through it. Nothing like clearing land to tear stuff up!!!