Majik Paint from TSC

/ Majik Paint from TSC #21  
By the time I buy half a dozen spray cans I would have as much money in it, with out the added bonus of being able to get a good multi layer build up. I did think about it. I shot all the primer with a $10 HF gun, and an ancient compressor (60 year old uncle in law got it used, and old when he was a teenager).

I sanded with 220 grit the off color doors, and bondo, before priming with two good coats. I lightly sanded the primer with 320. Should i sand/prime/sand the good panels as well, or just scuff and hit with two coats of color?

I haven't decided on clear coat. If I can get by without it, I will. I read that the catalyst increases gloss.

Roll it with a sponge roller :thumbsup:

/ Majik Paint from TSC
Well, in some ways this project has morphed. Originally I desperately needed to sell this truck do to being broke. I will be starting a new job Tuesday, nov.12, and I think I will keep the truck now, and fix/sell a dodge dakota I have with bad serpentine belt and water pump. Still going to paint with Majic, but im spending more time prepping then I was going to. Ill up date when I get some color shot.

I did two coats of primer on good panels, three on bondo. Actually, only one coat on top of roof.

Anyone have tips for shooting roof and center back of hood with out dragging hose on wet paint.

/ Majik Paint from TSC #23  
Well....Ironic timing I found this thread.

I can say that I am not a fan of the majic paint now being sold at TSC.

I am using it on my IH300 I am working on. I got grey primer, IH white, red primer and IH red.

The primers do seem to shoot well but I agree there was a TON of solids at the bottom. Over 1" of solids. Once mixed though, no issues.

But the red and white paint, using hardner and mineral spirits, dont shoot well at all. Not sure if it is me, the mix, or the gun?? The the spray isnt consistent. More like It will spray well for a few seconds, then not, then well again, then not. Like in spirts. Dont make any sense to me, all other paints I have ever shot (mostly the BPS stuff TSC used to sell), and even this majic primer, I have never had any issues.

I can spray red, have issues, then mix some primer and it shoots fine??

I am not an expert painter though. And I will make due with it this time. But will likely not use majic paint any more.

/ Majik Paint from TSC
Couple shots I took about mid way through priming. I ended up taking decals off rather then taping them off.

ForumRunner_20131104_112751.png

ForumRunner_20131104_112728.png

ForumRunner_20131104_112708.png

BTW the ugly bondo at rear fender area will be covered with a piece plastic trim.

Last edited:
   / Majik Paint from TSC
For those who have used it, with hardener, how bad was the fumes. They put such harsh safety warnings on Everything now, you never know what is actually bad, and what is lawyer induced protection (ie wear gloves and respirator to pump gas, wash for 30 minutes if splashed, and go to ER to have hand amputated).

I have used "methyl ethyl something" before (fiber glass resin hardener), and it took your breath away, but if you didn't eat it, no har.

/ Majik Paint from TSC #26  
I dont notice any difference in fumes between the paint with hardener and the primer without.

/ Majik Paint from TSC
One safety warning that isnt included on Bond-O is "clean all fresh bondo from hands BEFORE using restroom"
Trust me, it was a "warming" sensation.

/ Majik Paint from TSC #28  
That last comment about the "warming" sensation reminds me of a time in the 60's when I was doing lab. facility design for a big 10 reseach building, and toured a Dow Chemical research lab with my boss- one of the exec's that was taking us around took us to lunch, and before eating, we went into the washroom... he asked me if I knew how to tell the difference between a chemist and a biologist? "The chemist washes his hands before he pees, the biologist afterwards..." and that made perfect sense to me!

/ Majik Paint from TSC #29  
One safety warning that isnt included on Bond-O is "clean all fresh bondo from hands BEFORE using restroom"
Trust me, it was a "warming" sensation.

:laughing::laughing:

/ Majik Paint from TSC
Well, I got a $5 off $25 coupon at TSC, so I figured fate wants me to get to work. Picked up Majic Tractor Truck and Implementation Glossy Black gallon ($29.99) and 8 oz Majic hardener ($14.99).

TSC refused to honor e-coupon (Palatka Fl store) but said if I print it out, and drive back up with coupon and receipt (30 miles) they would give me $5.00.

Paint was much easier to mix then the primer was. Decided to try it on tail gate first, so I measured 12 oz of paint (one soda can, lol) and did the math, 4 tsp of hardener (kids medicine cup) and I threw 4 tsp mineral spirits in to thin just a touch. Lesson one; 12 oz is Way too much to just shoot a tail gate; Lesson two; fumes, what fumes, I read that the hardener was so harsh it would send you to ER, I barely noticed shooting out side, no mask.

Dried with in 24 hrs except the runs and boogers. Shot well, but one side air jet kept getting semi blocked some how, and would randomly not atomize properly. I should have stopped then, but I knew the paint in gun would harden weather I was spraying or not, so I kept going. Shot tail gate and both sides of bed yesterday. This morning it has a high gloss (revealing all the imperfections.)

Anyone have a good method to pour from gallon can to small 8-12 oz cup without getting paint all down side of can?