Making a 3 point Quick Hitch

/ Making a 3 point Quick Hitch
I actually am an American. We are missionaries and have been in Poland for 14+ years. We live on the outskirts of Warsaw and have started a a Baptist church in what is actually a suburb of Warsaw.

It has been interesting to see the change take place over the last 14 years. Even things like McDonalds. When I first visited in 1992 there was one in downtown, now there are probably more than thirty in Warsaw alone and many of the outlying areas.

I got the small Yanmar to do some work at the church property and around home. It is my hobby that gets me out of my office and the stress of that. I have worked as a heavy equipment operator and mechanic, which paid for school. My Dad is the farmer; he grows mostly hay both wet baling and dry for horses which he winter boards. he also has livestock.

But my main job now is pastoring those in our church, and teaching (mostly Old Testament courses in Bible Schools in Poland and Ukraine mostly. So my English is quite good, and my Polish is not bad, but Russian and Ukrainian are not so good. :D

I decided to do something special for my rollover to make it conform to the Standard. I hope to finish it tomorrow, maybe. I will post some pics of what I am doing anyway.

Mike

/ Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #22  
Thank you. You truly are doing the Lord's work in two areas and have a land and people hungry for knowledge in both. Congratulations on having the desire and being in a position to be able to influence the lives of so many. Your good deeds may well inspire for generations to come.
And your welding is pretty good as well.

For agricultural or technical knowledge, this board is the best out there.

Thank you guys for your very kind words. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. A wise man once said, "For a Christian there is no difference between the secular and the sacred; all things are sacred." What he meant by that is that for a believer in Jesus Christ every calling is a sacred calling. If you are doing God's will it is sacred.

I had a few snatches of time here during Christmas break to work a bit on conforming my implements to the QH. First I polished the QH up a bit and sprayed some primer on it. Then, I started with the RB and ended with the Rollover. For most part I just did the standard thing to conform them, but the rollover I treated special.:D

The RB top link connection was a 1/4 inch low.:eek:
The ball hitch was right at standard. :)
The scoop needed its bottom pins spread about 1/2 inch, top is OK not perfect.

Mike

Attachments

• chromed.jpg
    chromed.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 810
  • Rear Blade.jpg
    Rear Blade.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 790
  • with trailer hitch.JPG
    with trailer hitch.JPG
    826.7 KB · Views: 1,081
  • scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 1,029
Now the imitation Gannon rollover was OK on the lower pins, but somehow in the manufacturing I messed up and the top was about 1.5 inches high. It is not a design that would be easy to just lower the hole or drill a new hole. I was going to require some major work to conform it.:eek:

If I was going to do some thing major I might as well do something exciting.;) So I drew up this curved neck for a top link and cut the pieces out of the old top link mast. Well I had to patch a few pieces together to get sufficient width.

Then I doubled up on the neck where the pin goes through to give it a bit more strength.

Then I conformed a 2 inch wide flat stock to separate the posts and provide some stability. I have wanted to try to do something like that for a while and it was a good opportunity. I just heated, bent, and tacked until it was all in place.

I welded it on the draft tube of the rollover, sprayed some primer on it and it was ready to go. I like the way it looks. It looks special and it was fun to do--although it did take some time. It sort of looks like a penguin sitting there. :D

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1975.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_1973.jpg
    IMG_1973.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 451
  • patern and pieces.JPG
    patern and pieces.JPG
    905.7 KB · Views: 472
  • painted rt and project.JPG
    painted rt and project.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    930.3 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_1978.JPG
    IMG_1978.JPG
    853.7 KB · Views: 489
  • Rollover.jpg
    Rollover.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 590
   / Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #27  
Thank you guys for your very kind words. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. A wise man once said, "For a Christian there is no difference between the secular and the sacred; all things are sacred." What he meant by that is that for a believer in Jesus Christ every calling is a sacred calling. If you are doing God's will it is sacred.

Mike

Sure wish more knew that.

I was impressed before I realize you were in Poland and not Portland and really impressed with your work there. May God Bless you and your family along with those who you are working with teaching.

/ Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #28  
Mike,

Impressive fabricating skills making your very own quick hitch. I read your "Imitation Gannon" roll over blade project and I must have missed that one during it's construction. That is the best home made Gannon blade I have ever seen. You sure did good on that as well, equally impressive is you did it all with common hand tools, so my hat's off to you. Now I suppose I should stop telling all those Pollock jokes, well maybe all except the one about the two Pollock carpenters nailing siding on a house. The master carpenter was watching his apprentice nailing the siding, as time went on, he noticed the apprentice throwing about half the nails onto the ground. The master carpenter asked the apprentice why he was throwing away so many nails. The apprentice replied "Because the head of the nail is on the wrong side" The master carpenter disgustingly shouted out to the apprentice "You moron, you should save those nails for the other side of the house"

Mike, your projects are tops and I look forward to many more. :)

Larry

Thank you very much for the kind words. I really do enjoy making something useful and practical.

Larry, considering that you and Rob or the kings of special fabrication/modification, I take that as a very high praise indeed. Thank you very much--I have read every thread of your constructions with real interest. With every project you have upped the ante. I have not seen any new projects lately though. You have something on the back burner?

Pollack jokes are rather popular, the national subject of such jokes changes with the country that you reside. Here Russians are often the subject.

One funny joke deserves another--:D 3 friends were carpooling to work, one was a Pole and the brunt of the Pollack jokes of the other 2. The Pole just sat quietly looking out the window. The 2 ask, "What's the matter, you do not think our jokes are funny?" The Pole replies, "Can you read Polish?" The 2 reply, "NO, of course not." Silence. . . Pole, "Can you speak Polish?" The 2, "NO, who would want to?" The Pole just stares out the window. The 2, "What is all this stuff about reading and speaking Polish?" The Pole, "Well I was just wondering, what is it like being dumber than a Pollack?" :D:eek:

Well back to topic---I discovered something yesterday that I had not anticipated--well I should have if I had thought things through. :rolleyes:

I was using my scoop in the reversed position--back into a pile mode--as a large dust pan. Normally, when I dump it I can just reach back and trip the mechanism, however with the QH, I cannot easily do that, the hitch blocks me and I cannot reach the trip without being a contortionist. I am going to do something about that--beyond the rope that is normally used in the forward scooping position. Have to think!!!

Have a GREAT New Year!!!

Mike

/ Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #30  
Its nice to see your "petersen rollover blade" with some dirt and rust on it Mike.
I am seriously considering making my own shortly. You have made it easy for us to follow...
I like the new goose neck mod for the top link on the rollover...

Just a question regarding the quich hitch locking mechanism Mike... Can you elaborate on how the mechanism works? Maybe a sketch?

Thanks,

b