Making a 3 point Quick Hitch

/ Making a 3 point Quick Hitch
Just a question regarding the quich hitch locking mechanism Mike... Can you elaborate on how the mechanism works? Maybe a sketch?

I am not much of an artist and I do not have any drawings of what I did. but I took some pictures and tried to draw on them to show the internals of things. This is what I did, as I really do not know how the professional QH's work or what kind of latch mechanism that they have. I am just using the weight of the latch and the rod going out the top to close it. It seems to work well--I plowed some snow today and that puts the weight of 3 pt against the latch and it NEVER came loose. :D Love it when something that I designed actually works huh?!! The harder that the pin pushes against the latch the tighter that it should hold the pin. The clearance with the pin is pretty tight--there is no slop when it is latched. The latch barely clears the pin when closing.

I used a rod 10mm out the top so that if I have a stubborn fit that I can push down on it. I would not want to hammer on it, but 10 mm is pretty strong to push to get a positive latch. The release is a piece of 3/4 pipe that just clears the hitch when fully open. I may have to do something to help it stay open, but so far I have been able to get it to just hang on the edge of the hole that it would go down through.

If you have any other questions I will be glad to explain it more. Where are you in "western Europe"? What kind of tractor do you have? If you need some info about the rollover too just let me know.

Mike

Attachments

• internal of latch.jpg
    internal of latch.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 758
  • internals of latch side.jpg
    internals of latch side.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 567
  • internals of latch side closed.jpg
    internals of latch side closed.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 592
  • internals of latch rear.jpg
    internals of latch rear.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 593
   / Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #32  
Thank you very much for the kind words. I really do enjoy making something useful and practical.

Larry, considering that you and Rob or the kings of special fabrication/modification, I take that as a very high praise indeed. Thank you very much--I have read every thread of your constructions with real interest. With every project you have upped the ante. I have not seen any new projects lately though. You have something on the back burner?

Pollack jokes are rather popular, the national subject of such jokes changes with the country that you reside. Here Russians are often the subject.

One funny joke deserves another--:D 3 friends were carpooling to work, one was a Pole and the brunt of the Pollack jokes of the other 2. The Pole just sat quietly looking out the window. The 2 ask, "What's the matter, you do not think our jokes are funny?" The Pole replies, "Can you read Polish?" The 2 reply, "NO, of course not." Silence. . . Pole, "Can you speak Polish?" The 2, "NO, who would want to?" The Pole just stares out the window. The 2, "What is all this stuff about reading and speaking Polish?" The Pole, "Well I was just wondering, what is it like being dumber than a Pollack?" :D:eek:

Well back to topic---I discovered something yesterday that I had not anticipated--well I should have if I had thought things through. :rolleyes:

I was using my scoop in the reversed position--back into a pile mode--as a large dust pan. Normally, when I dump it I can just reach back and trip the mechanism, however with the QH, I cannot easily do that, the hitch blocks me and I cannot reach the trip without being a contortionist. I am going to do something about that--beyond the rope that is normally used in the forward scooping position. Have to think!!!

Have a GREAT New Year!!!

Mike

Thank you Mike and happy new year too!

"I have not seen any new projects lately though. You have something on the back burner?" - Nothing on the back burner. Just keeping warm by the fire and enjoying everyones winter projects for those in the northern hemisphere and all the summer projects for those in the southern hemisphere. Love your joke too - Since I can't read, speak or write polish......:eek:

Thanks for sharing the internal secrets of how your quick hitch works. Did you figure out a means to trip the roll over scoop with the QH attached?

Larry

/ Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #33  
Thanks for the description Mike. Nice simple design, should serve you well.

Where are you in "western Europe"? What kind of tractor do you have? If you need some info about the rollover too just let me know.

Mike

I'm in the south of Ireland Mike. My tractor is a kubota B7100. I only have a sub soiler and a rear scoop that I've made myself, but I am in need of a boxblade for my 2009 project and I like the versatility of your rollover unit. Thanks for your offer, I may take you up on that.

Did you figure out a means to trip the roll over scoop with the QH attached?
Well I have been working in my mind what I will do. I believe that I will make a mechanical linkage up to a lever on top of the scoop on the trip end and then an extension on the scoop end so that I can eliminate the rope. I have it worked out in my mind, but have not compared what I have in mind with the reality of wha tis there on the scoop.:rolleyes: The rollover works with the hitch, but For the life of me I cannot figure out why I put the handle in the middle of the blade--it should have been more on one side or the other, then it would miss the top link connection and I would not have to twist around so far to work it. :eek:

Nice simple design, should serve you well.
Maybe that is why it works, it is simple!!:cool: If the pieces do not hang on the edge of the hole like they are supposed to, I have an alternative that is not complicated that could make it work. But so far it has worked as well as can be expected.

I considered a 7001 (I believe it is very similar to the 7100) for a long time before I decided on the yanmar 1510. The Yanmar was much more money, but I really wanted the powershift if I could. I am thankful that I have it for maneuvering in tight places. What kind of scoop did you make--similar to mine? Which is a KK copy based on pictures that I saw.

Mike

/ Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #35  
MJP, not sure of where your thought process is but have you entertained the idea of welding a bracket on top of the QH that a single linkage could slide though or be pinned to that would work both the scoop and the roll over. I realize you would most likely have to dismount the tractor to attach the linkage. Make the bracket attachment captive only when you need the linkage and be able to remove the linkage when not needed. I know I did not explain this well and the attachments may not allow for one universal linkage. Just thinking out loud. Read the build thread on the rollover today, when I first saw the picture of the rollover in one of your previous theads I thought it was "store bought", you do very nice work.

It has been awhile since I updated this thread and I want to show what I did in regard to the scoop. I was busy but finally had a chance at some shop time. :)
I was using my scoop in the reversed position--back into a pile mode--as a large dust pan. Normally, when I dump it I can just reach back and trip the mechanism, however with the QH, I cannot easily do that, the hitch blocks me and I cannot reach the trip without being a contortionist. :(
I tried simple things first like just extending a handle out the top etc, but nothing would really work properly, so finally I broke down and made up the linkage that you will see in the pics. I wanted to make sure that the latch closed properly so I doubled up on the latch counter-weight. If the linkage was attached to the end of the weight handle it would interfere with the top hook of the QH, so I fudged a bit with the linkage alignment. By crossing the linkage between handles from top to bottom, I was able to keep most of the linkage protected in between the top frame and that make both handles work the same. Just give the handles a push and the latch releases. This really works well, at least for the three trips that I made with it. I only wish that I had done something like this from the beginning. That is what I get for being such a "copy-cat" and slavishly copying the KK. :eek:

Mig is pretty amazing in the holes that you can easily fill in. The handles are made from 3/4 black pipe, I did not have a piece of rod in hand, but that meant that the pipe top need to be covered so that it did not become a reservoir for water and crud. I simply welded around and around and filled in a 3/4 inch hole!! To me that is amazing--I had never used mig before getting this one. Then I used the flap disk to clean it all up. The result is a nice looking handle.

Have a good one.

Mike

Attachments

• linkage 2.jpg
    linkage 2.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 436
  • linkage 3.jpg
    linkage 3.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 603
  • linkage 7.jpg
    linkage 7.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 587