Making hay with a Willys Farm Jeep

/ Making hay with a Willys Farm Jeep #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
My son Evan and I have run FarmJeep.com since 2002. We have just completely redesigned the Web sight and added a bunch of new items. One of those is a section on making hay with a Jeep. You can read it here - Haying – FarmJeep.com I just added another post to this section today. I hope you will stop by for a quick read.

If you are a Facebook user, stop by Willys Farm Jeep - Home | Facebook and give us a like if you enjoyed the read. More importantly, we would really like to hear any Jeep related hay making stories.

Thanks
Barry

/ Making hay with a Willys Farm Jeep #2  
Good read :thumbsup: thanks.

/ Making hay with a Willys Farm Jeep
Good read :thumbsup: thanks.

Thank you! We are trying to make the site more about recording the stories that are a part of our agricultural history.

Barry

/ Making hay with a Willys Farm Jeep #4  
A lot of Willys pickup trucks were employed in citrus groves in FL...the most popular were the ones with the L6 226 (Continental red seal blocks) engines and the T-90 tranny's w/ PTO...often used to pull sprayers and dusters etc...

A lot of Willys pickup trucks were employed in citrus groves in FL...the most popular were the ones with the L6 226 (Continental red seal blocks) engines and the T-90 tranny's w/ PTO...often used to pull sprayers and dusters etc...

Thanks! I'm working on a post about 3-point lifts for the Willys PU. While we have focused on the CJ models, it appears that the PU trucks were active in agriculture too. Any other info you might have would be helpful. We have video of Jeeps working in the vineyards in California, but I've never seen anything about the citrus groves in FL. Fun stuff.

/ Making hay with a Willys Farm Jeep #6  
I once worked as an occasional substitute driver for a hay baling company. They used tractors to pull the powered balers (Wisconsin V4). I drove a CJ at the time, and asked if they had ever tried a Jeep to pull the balers. The answer was that they had tried but the frame broke after a short time due to the constant surging forward and backwards. A IH Scout worked better than the Jeep, but they preferred the tractors after all.

Bruce

I once worked as an occasional substitute driver for a hay baling company. They used tractors to pull the powered balers (Wisconsin V4). I drove a CJ at the time, and asked if they had ever tried a Jeep to pull the balers. The answer was that they had tried but the frame broke after a short time due to the constant surging forward and backwards. A IH Scout worked better than the Jeep, but they preferred the tractors after all.

Bruce

I'm working with a guy in California who has video of his dad driving a CJ5 pulling balers in the late 1960s. This was a large contract operation. I was surprised. I need to collect more stories like yours, but frankly we have focused (as Willys always did) on the positive side. About what year are we talking about?

/ Making hay with a Willys Farm Jeep #8  
I'm working with a guy in California who has video of his dad driving a CJ5 pulling balers in the late 1960s. This was a large contract operation. I was surprised. I need to collect more stories like yours, but frankly we have focused (as Willys always did) on the positive side. About what year are we talking about?

That would have been in the 60's. I don't know what year Jeep they tried.

Bruce

/ Making hay with a Willys Farm Jeep #9  
I used to own a 1942 Ford GPW that had sat for several decades. I started to rebuilt it so many times, but always lost interest or got distracted before getting anywhere with it. After ten years, I sold it for twice what I paid for it. I just realized that if I ever did get it running, I wouldn't use it for anything after buying the Kawasaki Mule. I still enjoy seeing them, and other people driving them around.

Is that your's on FB with the 2 bottom plow?

I used to own a 1942 Ford GPW that had sat for several decades. I started to rebuilt it so many times, but always lost interest or got distracted before getting anywhere with it. After ten years, I sold it for twice what I paid for it. I just realized that if I ever did get it running, I wouldn't use it for anything after buying the Kawasaki Mule. I still enjoy seeing them, and other people driving them around.

Is that your's on FB with the 2 bottom plow?

Yes, I show the 1949 CJ3a with a two-bottom plow. You can read about my plows here - Plows – FarmJeep.com