Making money with your tractor

/ Making money with your tractor #31  
Thats why I bought my 2 tractors , using the rotary cutter , core aerator , snow removal ( mostly use the trucks ) grading etc . I rarely bid a job by the hour , I price it . As far as insurance , I am a licensed Home improvement contractor , where landscaping and irrigation are my best profit items . I am near annapolis md , everybody and their brother has a skid steer . Very few have tractors . Most of the skid steer guys have no attachments , just a bucket they move dirt and tear up established lawns as they move .

I am doing a job this week where I have to grade a sloped back yard , access to the back yard is 50 inches , 4 other guys turned the work down because they all had big machines and would either tear up the side yard going in and out or they couldnt fit .

/ Making money with your tractor #32  
Just to touch on this "Insurance" thing,,
I don't see why a "waiver" couldn't be made up before work is done on a property where you are giving a cheaper price for your services.
You have them sign a waiver saying you are NOT responsible for any damage that may occur.
I mean, if someone ask you to dig a hole or a trench, etc,, do you ask them for "locates"??
What happens if you hit a bell wire etc, etc, etc....If you firmly tell the customer or friend, neighbor etc that you are not and will not be responsible for any damage "whatsoever" and have them sign a waiver stating this, you should be good to go.IMO
Otherwise, walk away, getting insurance for these types of little jobs is ridiculous, whatever happened to the old days where the neighbor would help out and say, ahhh, just throw me a 20 or a box of beer.
Just inform that person that you have "no" insurance, thats why your doing it so cheaply, if he agrees it's not a problem, have em sign your waiver and get er done.
He/they must take "full" responsibility for the work being done, use common sense, if you see a danger or something that may be an issue, inform them before hand, note it on your waiver and have them initial it.

I know, I know, some are going to say, "your opening yourself for a law suit" etc, etc.

Here's a scenario, I had a 70 foot weeping willy ( a biggy, 3 feet wide, doubled ) was quoted $1200 to cut er down by a company. My buddy did it for $300 and I helped with the clean-up. What would have happened if he would have fell off the tree, "My insurance " would have covered him, why, because he was a quest at my home and he was helping me, if a customer asks you if you have Insurance, "walk away" or,, triple your price and see what they say then.
Now, this is a different story if you "Advertise" yourself as a business, then you definitely should have insurance.

Anyways, it's your call, if you feel comfortable with the person your helping out, go for it,
if not, forget about it and stay on your property and tell them , sorry, I don't have enough gas...lol

/ Making money with your tractor #33  
Just to touch on this "Insurance" thing,, I don't see why a "waiver" couldn't be made up before work is done on a property where you are giving a cheaper price for your services. You have them sign a waiver saying you are NOT responsible for any damage that may occur. I mean, if someone ask you to dig a hole or a trench, etc,, do you ask them for "locates"?? What happens if you hit a bell wire etc, etc, etc....If you firmly tell the customer or friend, neighbor etc that you are not and will not be responsible for any damage "whatsoever" and have them sign a waiver stating this, you should be good to go.IMO Otherwise, walk away, getting insurance for these types of little jobs is ridiculous, whatever happened to the old days where the neighbor would help out and say, ahhh, just throw me a 20 or a box of beer. Just inform that person that you have "no" insurance, thats why your doing it so cheaply, if he agrees it's not a problem, have em sign your waiver and get er done. He/they must take "full" responsibility for the work being done, use common sense, if you see a danger or something that may be an issue, inform them before hand, note it on your waiver and have them initial it. I know, I know, some are going to say, "your opening yourself for a law suit" etc, etc. Here's a scenario, I had a 70 foot weeping willy ( a biggy, 3 feet wide, doubled ) was quoted $1200 to cut er down by a company. My buddy did it for $300 and I helped with the clean-up. What would have happened if he would have fell off the tree, "My insurance " would have covered him, why, because he was a quest at my home and he was helping me, if a customer asks you if you have Insurance, "walk away" or,, triple your price and see what they say then. Now, this is a different story if you "Advertise" yourself as a business, then you definitely should have insurance. Anyways, it's your call, if you feel comfortable with the person your helping out, go for it, if not, forget about it and stay on your property and tell them , sorry, I don't have enough gas...lol
yes. I know lots who operate
Like that and do fine.

/ Making money with your tractor #34  
Think I will start a thread how much does it cost per hour to run your tractor. This is closely related to making money with your tractor. With fuel and maintenance on an hst 47 hp kubota I believe about 15 per hour.

/ Making money with your tractor #35  
Think I will start a thread how much does it cost per hour to run your tractor. This is closely related to making money with your tractor. With fuel and maintenance on an hst 47 hp kubota I believe about 15 per hour.

That sounds about right.
An experienced hoe operator charges in the $100 hour range, probably a little more now with the price of gas and all, on a personal level, I figure around $50 would be a nice range but personally i prefer to charge by the job because of my inexperience. If the guy asks "me", its because he's on the "I don't have that much money" side of things and I can understand that, plus, I'm always willing to help out whenever i can.