Marijuana Harvester???

/ Marijuana Harvester??? #62  
The requirements in CA vary by county but what I've seen in NorCal and southern Oregon for outdoor grown is mostly just tall fencing with opaque panels to block the view. Of course with any lease there will be people coming and going. And the fence still looks like its hiding an industrial complex.

Another problem with leasing to marijuana growers is that the market is highly unstable. I think it's even worse for outdoor grown which a lot of consumers look down on.

Plants for CBD or hemp which contain little to no THC may be under different regulations and at least for CBD may have a steadier market.

I suspect more than state required minimum is needed to protect your crop, but I've never run a commercial grow. I do know, however, that people who wouldn't trespass to steal your tomatoes will risk confrontation or potential jail time to steal a few pot plants.

/ Marijuana Harvester??? #63  
you can't harvest or process weed with a machine you just can't, there might be a way to harvest it with a machine but certainly not processes it if you do it would look like the weed mexico was producing in the 70's which was laterally a straw bail full of seeds... every leaf need to be cut and every stem from the nugget, then you need to watch for insect and what not, this process cant be mechanize.
How much did you pay for a bale of that weed?

/ Marijuana Harvester??? #65  
How much did you pay for a bale of that weed?
Cheapest I heard of was $10 was the going rate for a literal matchbox full. 1.5" x 3.5" x 5" about an ounce, in the good old days. About 1968.

That was before the Feds started sending planes into Mexico to spray Paraquat on the fields. I was told smoking that stuff would make the smoker cough up blood. No thanks.

/ Marijuana Harvester??? #66  
A bale is/was 100 pounds and over by most accounts. Not cheap.

/ Marijuana Harvester??? #67  
Local apple harvest has been half of usual in the past two years. Unprofitable, after the high labor cost for pruning, thinning, propping, and harvest, as well as the cost of fertilizer, discing, spray, insurance. There is some chance the last local processor - producing apple sauce, apple cider vinegar, other cooked products - will close. That would shut us down.

I get occasional inquiries from realtors representing growers, looking to lease an acre or so of our orchard. Apparently our microclimate would be ideal.

Sis suggested the Oregon growers described below, could be a model if we chose to lease out a portion of the orchard.

No! The need for security would kill the solitude and peace we enjoy. This mature apple orchard is like a quiet park. It's going to stay that way regardless.

I'll have to agree Cali with you . . . I've been asked the same.

/ Marijuana Harvester??? #68  
The balance between maintaining the serenity of your land and exploring new revenue streams like leasing to cannabis growers is a delicate one, for sure. While the transition to cannabis cultivation, including for medical purposes as seen in the medical cannabis UK market, offers financial allure, it's not without its trade-offs, particularly regarding the change in landscape and atmosphere. I deeply respect the decision to preserve the tranquility and heritage of your orchard. It's a reminder of the importance of weighing our values against economic pressures.

Last edited: