Massey 4707 power

/ Massey 4707 power #1  

B11lefevre

Tractor
Massey 4707
I’ve had a Massey 4707 deluxe 4wd open station with loader for a year now. I primarily use it for raking and tedding hay. I really like the tractor especially the loader lift capacity. The biggest thing I hate is the lack of power. It is completely gutless. I also have a 5310 John Deere which is about the same pto hp. It is lighter and a smaller frame but seems to have a lot more power. I can’t even go up a little incline running a 6 basket tedder. Is this just what it is? It will be out of warranty in the fall so I will probably tune it. I just wanted other people’s experiences. Thank you.

/ Massey 4707 power #2  
I’ve had a Massey 4707 deluxe 4wd open station with loader for a year now. I primarily use it for raking and tedding hay. I really like the tractor especially the loader lift capacity. The biggest thing I hate is the lack of power. It is completely gutless. I also have a 5310 John Deere which is about the same pto hp. It is lighter and a smaller frame but seems to have a lot more power. I can’t even go up a little incline running a 6 basket tedder. Is this just what it is? It will be out of warranty in the fall so I will probably tune it. I just wanted other people’s experiences. Thank you.
i am looking to buy a mf 4707 like yours. am disappointed in your tractor hp. anything else to report about your tractor dislikes. thanks tommy

/ Massey 4707 power
I do like the transmission and reverser. I also like that it has DOC for emissions and not DPF and or DEF. At 50 hours it went back to the dealer for an engine oil leak. It ended up being a loose bolt on the front cover. The 3 point hitch didn’t work properly either. Apparently they had to reprogram the computer. Now when it’s cold and you lift the 3 point hitch up the relief valve doesn’t function properly so it stalls the engine. If I keep the rpms up it doesn’t allow the loader to function until the relief valve functions. I hate to say it but I wouldn’t buy one. I have a Deere 5310 and 5510 and a Kubota m105s. All of them with power reverser transmissions and have at least 2000 hours and I haven’t had any issues with any of them.

/ Massey 4707 power #4  
I have an older MF 2660 using the Perkins 4cyl rated 81hp . It tested 90hp on a dynamometer when new. No mods. Lack of power was never an issue with it. I am pretty sure the engines on the 4708/9/10 are all the same engine in the newer 3cyl variety. With differing chips or settings to produce more HP on the higher numbered models. That was the case with older ones. Depends what you want and what you are willing to do. If you like the tractor a lot, go find a diesel hotrod shop that specializes in souping up pickup trucks. There seem to be many of those shops these days. I suspect they can get you a whole bunch more HP if you are willing to take the risks. You can talk around and explore those possibilities before your warrantee expires this fall and then decide what to do.

/ Massey 4707 power #5  
Can't even go up a little incline with a 6 basket tedder !!?? That's crazy. You mean geared down or just not running as fast and easy as you want to ? Geared down you should be able to climb one heck of a hill not just a little incline.... Your brakes locked on ? (I'm kidding.) Something is wrong here.

/ Massey 4707 power
3 or 4 mph that’s it. I usually go 6-7mph. It’s rather pathetic.

/ Massey 4707 power
Up the hills. On flat ground it’s fine.

/ Massey 4707 power #8  
Somethin's wrong.

/ Massey 4707 power #9  
My 4707 cab has plenty of power for hills, that's all I have here in WV. But, I am quite disappointed in the couplers they used from the rear of the tractor to the loader valve. They consistently blow orings, leak tons of fluid..

/ Massey 4707 power #10  
Say Wacky -- that blowing hyd connector o-rings for lines head to the loader valve sounds like a good topic for a separate thread . Have you posted one ?

Don't you think B11lefevre has something very wrong with his 4707 if it lacks power on moderate grades ?