Massey/Agco vs aftermarket replacement hydraulic hoses and replacement interval

/ Massey/Agco vs aftermarket replacement hydraulic hoses and replacement interval #1  

rossn

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705
Seems I need to replace a hose on my GC1705's FEL (DL100)... part SL103366.

The tractor/FEL is around 10 years old, and is stored outside. Should I be looking to replace all the hoses at this age, or should they generally run longer? Is there a standard replacement interval?

Is there much of an advantage/disadvantage using an OEM (Massey/Agco) hose, versus having a local shop make them up? It seems the hose fittings that came on my Agco snowplow had issues as well... not sure if I just had bad luck or if Agco hoses are known for issues.

/ Massey/Agco vs aftermarket replacement hydraulic hoses and replacement interval #2  
It is a mixed bag and I am not sure there is a single consistently correct answer. I have one MF tractor with original loader hoses that are 13 years old and never any problems. But that has always been garage-kept. I have a Kubota that I've had since 2002 (also garage kept) and every dern loader hose on it has had to be replaced and at some point sprung a leak in 21 years. I had a Deere for 10 years and never had any hyd hoses fail (except for one I pinched in a bucket closure crevice.)

Advice varies. Kubota mechanic says they use better replacement hoses than the OEM. A Deere dealer who replaced some of those Kubota hoses also says they are a chronic nuisance and insists the ones he put on are more durable.
For my 2 cents worth I would not replace any hydraulic hose until/unless it begins to leak. If there is a standard replacement interval for hydraulic hoses (regardless of brand of tractor) I would not pay ANY attention to it.
Certainly there are various degrees of quality, burst strength, etc. on replacement hoses and I tend to go for a "better" hose than the one being replaced just to shove the next replacement way off into the future while I am at it.

Most people I know have replacement hoses made up rather than using "parts shelf" hoses.

/ Massey/Agco vs aftermarket replacement hydraulic hoses and replacement interval #3  
I just pulled 5 hoses off my dozer to replace that are original from the early 80s. I usually don’t replace hoses until they blow but these run across the engine and would spray oil on the exhaust likely causing a fire if they blew.

/ Massey/Agco vs aftermarket replacement hydraulic hoses and replacement interval #4  
I wait until I see a hose starting to leak before I replace it. I've had my MF1533 for about 17 years and have replaced a few of the loader hoses. I have them made for me at my local Napa dealer. The owners are also farmers and tractor owners. The replacement hoses that they make while I wait are better quality and less expensive than the ones offered by my local Agco dealer.

/ Massey/Agco vs aftermarket replacement hydraulic hoses and replacement interval #5  
I'm also in the "if it ain't broke..." camp. I've had to replace three or four so far on my 2007 GC tractor. I've always just gone to a local hydraulic repair shop and have had new ones made up. They're generally more robust looking than the OEM hoses....

/ Massey/Agco vs aftermarket replacement hydraulic hoses and replacement interval #6  
Seems I need to replace a hose on my GC1705's FEL (DL100)... part SL103366.

The tractor/FEL is around 10 years old, and is stored outside. Should I be looking to replace all the hoses at this age, or should they generally run longer? Is there a standard replacement interval?

Is there much of an advantage/disadvantage using an OEM (Massey/Agco) hose, versus having a local shop make them up? It seems the hose fittings that came on my Agco snowplow had issues as well... not sure if I just had bad luck or if Agco hoses are known for issues.

I’d pump the brakes on that one.
If the hoses arent showing significant wear, why replace them?

/ Massey/Agco vs aftermarket replacement hydraulic hoses and replacement interval #7  
I am with Hay Dude. I replace them when they have issues. But if one curl hose goes bad I replace both. Same for lift and dump hoses, I replace in pairs. I have not replaced the hoses that come from the manifold to the loader but have replaced the curl and lift hoses. My tractor has been sitting in the weather 28 years. Local hose shop replacements.

/ Massey/Agco vs aftermarket replacement hydraulic hoses and replacement interval
Hi All, thanks for the replies - this helps out a ton... generally sounds like local shop hoses are as good or better than OEM and replace as needed, possibly in pairs or if in a dangerous location. I wasn't sure if they all tend to go around the same time, and it's now clear that isn't the case.

If I recall correctly, don't use teflon tape but do use some teflon thread dope compound? Are there standard torques that should be used for the attachment back to the tractor?

Last edited:
   / Massey/Agco vs aftermarket replacement hydraulic hoses and replacement interval #9  
For tappered pipe fittings use teflon tape and tighten them good n tite. For JIC fittings and o-ring fittings DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE and make them good and snug - over tightening will result in leaks. Strongly recommend you google JIC, o-ring and pipe (NPT) hydraulic fittings so you know what they look like (once you know the difference they are easy to identify).

/ Massey/Agco vs aftermarket replacement hydraulic hoses and replacement interval #10  
It depends on how critical your tractor is to your operation.

My GC is 18 years old, and it's only had one hose replaced when it was new, under warranty. If I had to stop using it, and have a hose made, it's not a real big deal.

The original hoses are of a low quality single braid. And, any you buy will be heavier.

But, it's a lot of hoses. And, bound to be pretty expensive.

Perhaps one of the guys who like to make, and sell stuff for these, will put together a kit?