Massey compact tractors?

/ Massey compact tractors? #1  

jyoutz

Tractor
Kubota MX6000
I'm not looking to buy another tractor. I'm happy with my JD4100. But today, I happened to see a new Massey Ferguson compact for sale and stopped to look. I was quite impressed with the engineering and obvious quality of construction. I test drove it and it operated quietly and smoothly. Ergonomics seemed better than the big three brands. And the price was less than a comparable model in one of the big three brands. So now I'm curious, why don't we hear from many MF owners here on the forum, and why are they not more popular? Dealer network?

/ Massey compact tractors? #2  
Jim,
I am an owner of a MF 1250. The reason that the tractors aren’t any more popular than what they are is that most people don’t know that there is MF compacts. Massey (AGCO) does a really bad job of advertising they. From what I understand, they have seen the errors of their ways and are now ready to start pushing there compacts (finally).
As for dealer support, I have good support in my area. There are two dealers within 40 miles of me and they both sell compacts.
I would recommend Massey compacts. I have had good luck with mine and I work it pretty hard. I have 726 hours on it in a year and nine months. Needless to say that I would buy Massey again.

18-32460-1250sig.gif

/ Massey compact tractors? #3  
I looked at Massey when I was "tractor shopping". There were two reasons I didn't carry them into the "serious contender round". 1) The dealer knew very little about the compacts and it took two visits and three phone calls to even establish the hp of the model that I was looking at. They had two versions of literature there that listed the same tractor with two different hp ratings. 2) In our area here the Massey was the most expensive tractor on a cost/hp basis.

I never did end up test driving one.

Kevin

/ Massey compact tractors? #4  
That was my findings too Kevin. The dealers were not knowledgeable at all about the tractors, they didn't know models, prices, or anything. It took me a week, no kidding, just to get a price on one. I asked about dealing on one and they said no dealing at all because they didn't even know what they had in them so they were selling at mfg. sugg. retail. It was pretty much a joke. I did like the looks of the tractor but the dealers I talked to didn't know anything.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Massey compact tractors? #5  
jyoutz,
I have looked at Massey as well, the dealer close to me was very upon compact tractors and there prices were along line with other comparable tractors but it is the only dealer for hundreds of miles!
Just my two cents worth!

/ Massey compact tractors? #6  
Just curious, who is supplying the engine for the MF compacts? Perkins, Mitsubishi, Yanmar?

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ Massey compact tractors? #8  
iseki2.gif

tf.gif

Iseki manufactures everything… engine, tractor…
{Isuzu was the primary engine mfr. up til a few years ago, now Iseki mfr. under license}

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

/ Massey compact tractors? #9  
Kevin,

That Perkins is one of the best, fuel efficient, and bullet-proof engines ever made...{I've got your predecessor; MF-135} /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

However, the 231S is considered a Utility size, not a compact...

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

/ Massey compact tractors? #10  
I looked hard at the Massey's when I was shopping around. Had my sights set on a 1235. Great machine and was well in line on price. Would have went that route if I hadn't found such a deal on my NH!

2-31714-Cliffsig.gif