Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #111  
My best guess is I believe that is your harness to connect a radio that does not have a plug which matches what's prewired on your tractor.

I have an open station tractor.

Jeff

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #112  
Sorry it was just a guess, I'm not quite sure then.

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #113  
My 1754 Cab came with a pigtail. From the operators manual, I believe it’s hooks into the tractor wiring and will operate tail-turn-brake lights on a trailer or wagon. Don’t know why they didn’t just connect it at the factory......

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #114  
I could not find anything in the operators manual about this pigtail, but I went out yesterday and dug a little deeper trying to find where this pigtail could be connected. On the left side of the tractor under the sheet metal that goes between the fenders behind the seat there was an open connector that matches the pigtail. I got my multi meter out and figured out which wires did what. I had a new rectangular light in the shop that I had bought a few years ago that I mounted into an existing hole on the other side of the same sheet metal. The light came on when I turned the lights on, but the light is not ideal for this purpose. It is better than nothing, but I will have to look around for a more suitable light.

Jeff

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #115  
With about 12 hours on my 2018 1742 hydro I noticed what I think is a steering issue. When the tractor is stationary (with nothing in the loader bucket) the power steering has insufficient pressure to turn the wheel full deflection. It might turn maybe 15 degree either way sometimes while other times it may turn a little to the left or right but nothing in the other direction. If I pick the front wheels up off the ground with the loader it will freely turn from stop to stop or if I am moving forwards or backwards it steers without issue. My MF dealer has had the tractor in the shop for about 10 days finishing up the installation on the 3rd function kit, installing a block heater, and checking out the steering issue. Got a call earlier from the dealer and they told me this is normal, I am not convinced. I was told they checked the hydraulic pressure and it was where it was supposed to be. I called Agco Corporate HQ and asked them about it. The person on the phone could not answer my question, but he said a technician would give me a call in a few days. Is this normal? I know this is not how my JD 5065E works.

Jeff

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #116  
With about 12 hours on my 2018 1742 hydro I noticed what I think is a steering issue. When the tractor is stationary (with nothing in the loader bucket) the power steering has insufficient pressure to turn the wheel full deflection. It might turn maybe 15 degree either way sometimes while other times it may turn a little to the left or right but nothing in the other direction. If I pick the front wheels up off the ground with the loader it will freely turn from stop to stop or if I am moving forwards or backwards it steers without issue. My MF dealer has had the tractor in the shop for about 10 days finishing up the installation on the 3rd function kit, installing a block heater, and checking out the steering issue. Got a call earlier from the dealer and they told me this is normal, I am not convinced. I was told they checked the hydraulic pressure and it was where it was supposed to be. I called Agco Corporate HQ and asked them about it. The person on the phone could not answer my question, but he said a technician would give me a call in a few days. Is this normal? I know this is not how my JD 5065E works.

Jeff

Seems like typical dealer talk to me. Mine only groans when it hits the far stop on either side. Since day one I have to be careful not to turn the wheel till I’m moving or it will dig holes in the grass. I try not to do it on blacktop either as it’s got to be hard on the tires. That’s empty or with a full bucket ,mine palms around with just a few lbs of resistance. It reminds me of the way power steering cars used feel be back in the 60s . Little feedback at all. Does it interfere or limit your ability to do things?
Are you sure something in the steering shafts isn’t binding, rubbing when the weight is all on it? Truth is I’m not well schooled on power steering for one simple reason. If there’s fluid in it and the pumps running it’s one of those things that always seems to work. The issues I have seen and they weren’t easily identified was binding steering linkages. These were mostly on GM light trucks mind you . In those cases as an old mechanic told me . if you have the front wheels hanging free and it all feels fine ( yet you know there’s a dragging sticking ngoing on) sometimes you have to start unhooking linkages and rolling each one around to find the culprit. Ive seen that myself. Totally different setup but it happens.
One other outside thought, could it be a later mod to keep you from tearing things up . Mine is one of the early models . Ask the guy when he calls back the steering has been pump has been changed or updated since they first came out in 2014.

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #117  
Thanks Drizler. My first thought was something could have been bent that was restricting the steering, but when I took the weight off the front wheels with the loader I could easily turn the steering wheel from stop to stop easily with one finger. Mind you it does this with no weight in the bucket with the bucket resting on the ground.

I already received a call from the dealer's regional Service Manager and he told me it did not sound right. I also called an out of state MF dealer with no affiliation to my dealer and he told me it did not sound right either. The regional Service Manager is going to be in my area next week and said he would like to stop by and see what is going on. I am not new to tractors, this is the 4th tractor I have owned and I grew up on a farm driving all kinds of equipment and I know this is not right. I could understand if I had the loader at full capacity that the steering might be a little sluggish, but with a dedicated power steering hydraulic pump I cannot imagine why the steering should not easily turn the wheels with no weight on the loader.

The out of state dealer I called asked me if when the steering wheel stopped turning if the hydraulic pump was activating the bypass valve. I checked it when I got home from work and I cannot hear anything like a bypass valve activating like it does when you are up against the stop. I am hopeful they will make it right.

Jeff

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #118  
Wanted to provide an update. The regional service manager came out to my house on Wednesday and talked to me about what he found out. Apparently a couple years ago they were having problems with some front axle drop spindles being broken. This was happening when the front wheels were in ruts with a heavy load in the bucket when people were just trying to turn the steering wheel. Apparently they reduced the hydraulic pressure for the steering to help prevent this type of damage. My local dealer just received a new 2018 1742 with a backhoe and with the backhoe off the ground the steering could easily be turned from almost stop to stop. When they lowered the backhoe to take some weight off the rear of the tractor, the steering reacted the same as mine. The dealer is going to make up a special line so they can attach it to the power steering line to make sure the steering hydraulic pressure is properly set.

Jeff

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #119  
Just bought a ingland 3501 winch for my 1736- shuttle shift. Is there a way to keep the PTO running even if I am out of the seat?

Winch comes with a pull rope to engage the winch and you are supposed to be 15 to the side of the winch when operating.

Thanks.

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #120  
Just bought a ingland 3501 winch for my 1736- shuttle shift. Is there a way to keep the PTO running even if I am out of the seat?

Winch comes with a pull rope to engage the winch and you are supposed to be 15 to the side of the winch when operating.

Thanks.

Just unplug that hideous seat safety switch under the seat and it will stay running. That was the first thing I did the day I got it. I unplugged it and stuck a 1 piece of wire with the ends stripped so it makes contact and shoved it into both terminals. Then wrapped it with electrical tape so it can稚 fall out.
Youæ±*e right about running that winch from the seat. Part that cable and guess where that slack is going:thumbdown: Might just ruin your whole day...