Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head #11  
Which engine does your tractor have? Is it the 87MM made by the Standard Motor Company?

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head #12  
I see now. Straight thread pipe plug. chase threads first

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head
Which engine does your tractor have? Is it the 87MM made by the Standard Motor Company?

Yes the 87MM Standard Motor Company engine

I see now. Straight thread pipe plug. chase threads first

Yes, the threads look straight. The hole is about 1 inch across. Would you know what type of thread?

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head #15  
Yes, the threads look straight. The hole is about 1 inch across. Would you know what type of thread?

Fine pipe thread I believe, You have a set of taps? Your only chasing threads not making them.

pipe thread I believe, You have a set of taps? Your only chasing threads not making them.

I haven't got a set of taps, but will get some. Then we'll just tidy up the threads.

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head #17  
Yes the 87MM Standard Motor Company engine

The following image is a portion of the parts diagram for the 87MM Standard Motor Company engine, which shows the location of the plug but makes no mention of either the plug or it's part number. My guess would be that it's just a regular pipe plug. If you can determine the thread count and whether or not the threads are tapered, you could probably buy one at a hardware or automotive parts store.

n2e3iq.jpg

The following image is a portion of the parts diagram for the 87MM Standard Motor Company engine, which shows the location of the plug but makes no mention of either the plug or it's part number. My guess would be that it's just a regular pipe plug. If you can determine the thread count and whether or not the threads are tapered, you could probably buy one at a hardware or automotive parts store.

I take a closer look at the threads tonight. I think the regular pipe plug will do the trick.

Thanks to you and Murph for your help with this.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Lloyd

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head #19  
I take a closer look at the threads tonight. I think the regular pipe plug will do the trick.

I don't know for certain about the 87MM Standard Motor Company engine, but most engines and/or cylinder heads I've worked on used pipe plugs with tapered threads. In the United States the tapered threads are known as National Pipe Tapered or NPT for short, but I'm certain it's different in Europe where British Standard Pipe or BSP threads may be used.

The following links may be helpful to determine which threads you have.

http://www.teamonslaught.fsnet.co.uk/threads.htm

http://www.pipefittingsdirect.co.uk/contents/en-uk/BSP Identification.pdf

I don't know for certain about the 87MM Standard Motor Company engine, but most engines and/or cylinder heads I've worked on used pipe plugs with tapered threads. In the United States the tapered threads are known as National Pipe Tapered or NPT for short, but I'm certain it's different in Europe where British Standard Pipe or BSP threads may be used.

The thread is likely to be BSP. Thank you for the links, according to the information on these it's likely to be a tapered thread because it was flush and the seal was made by the threads.