Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head #21  
The thread is likely to be BSP. Thank you for the links, according to the information on these it's likely to be a tapered thread because it was flush and the seal was made by the threads.

I agree, and you're welcome. Oh, and I almost forgot to caution you about using the correct type of tap to clean up the threads. You should use a thread chasing tap and NOT a cutting tap, or you risk removing some of the existing threads.

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head #22  
G'day don't like to be the bearer of bad news but that thread is not normally a piipe thread and the plugs are not available over here, my boss ( who did his apprenticeship on these things) has told me he has used a welsh plug ( sorry freeze plug to you guys :D ) and two part epoxy around the outside and out onto a nice clean head suface. He tells me this has worked for him in the past, I hope it can work for you. Oh and he also told me that when it was available it was just a threaded barof alloy that you screwed into the head with some pipe dope and then cut it off flush with the head , there was about 5 plugs to a bar.

jon

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head
Thank you Jon.
I will investigate welsh/freeze plugs further.

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head #24  
Hi,

The pictures below show the cylinder head from a 1958 Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO. The larger hole with the arrow pointing to it had an alloy "bung" screwed in flush and goes into the water jacket of the head. This "bung" wasn't in very good condition and during the cleaning process the chemicals in the cleaner put a hole in it and we had to remove it.

Does anyone know where we can get a replacement "bung" and what the official name of the part would be?

View attachment 305790View attachment 305791

Thanks,
Lloyd
Hello Lloyd,
I did some checking on AGCO's website.

AGCO Parts Books

Your engine block if made by Standard Motor Co. 87mm is listed in thier online catalog as a MF 35/35X Tractors

The illustration of the cylinder head matches yours but does not list the welsh plug. I went and selected TO 35 which I believe is the continental engine list the plugs. They may or may not be the same plug. They list for the TO 35 as a 1/2" plug. Shown in the below snippet.

View attachment 306074

Hello Lloyd,
I did some checking on AGCO's website.

AGCO Parts Books

Your engine block if made by Standard Motor Co. 87mm is listed in thier online catalog as a MF 35/35X Tractors

The illustration of the cylinder head matches yours but does not list the welsh plug. I went and selected TO 35 which I believe is the continental engine list the plugs. They may or may not be the same plug. They list for the TO 35 as a 1/2" plug. Shown in the below snippet.

View attachment 306074

Thank you very much for finding this. I've contacted our local AGCO dealer and they have them in stock. Collecting one tomorrow!

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head #26  
Thank you very much for finding this. I've contacted our local AGCO dealer and they have them in stock. Collecting one tomorrow!
Please let us know if that plugs fits the Standard 87mm head. Take care -robert

Please let us know if that plugs fits the Standard 87mm head. Take care -robert

Unfortunately, the plug from AGCO is too small. It's 1/2 inch across, whereas the hole in the head is 1". I have my father, who's an engineer, coming to look at it tomorrow to see what can be done. I'll update everyone then.

Thanks for all your efforts.

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head #28  
Unfortunately, the plug from AGCO is too small. It's 1/2 inch across, whereas the hole in the head is 1". I have my father, who's an engineer, coming to look at it tomorrow to see what can be done. I'll update everyone then.

Thanks for all your efforts.

A machinist should be able to drill and re-tap the hole for a more conventional threaded off-the-shelf plug. If you have the right tools, you could even do it yourself, but it probably wouldn't cost much to have a machinist do it for you.

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Petrol/TVO Water Jacket "bung" in Cylinder Head #29  
G'Day lwakelin .
You want to buy a 1/2 Inch BSP pipe plug ,you should be able to get one from a plumbing supply shop maybe b and q make sure that the plug is SOLID that is some you can buy are semi hollow you want a solid one Brass is best,borrow a 1/2 inch tap from maybe a plumber or your local engine rebuilder.
1/2 inch bsp has a tapered thread and is known as a dry thread seal that is the fact that the plug in this case, is tapered, 1/2 inch bsp measures 1 inch diameter.
Clean the thread out with the tap screw it in removing every time checking and you will see the new thread appear tap only deep enough to clean the thread no more ,then try installing the plug DRY it should go in AT LEAST THREE TURNS,when you have tapped it out enough smear the threads with loctite thread sealer and install the plug ,it does not have to be WHITE NUCKLE TIGHT Just enough to seal, fill the engine with coolant and run the engine up to operating temperature ,check for leaks and if all o.k cut the plug of flush with the top of the cylinder head.
job Done.
Happy Days.
Hutch.