Backhoe Massey Ferguson TO35

/ Massey Ferguson TO35 #21  
The TO-35 is not only a precursor to the MF 135, it's the precoursor to the MF35 and a precursor to Massey Ferguson brand!

It's a Harry Ferguson & Co tractor and if memory serves me correctly, it first came out in 1957 in two models, the Standard and the DeLuxe.

Harry Ferguson started in the tractor business selling Waterloo Boy tractors (renamed Overtime) in Ireland and England during World War I. While working with farmers to maximize the use of their new tractors, Ferguson began working on a better system to attach implements. His "Ferguson System", later known as the three-point hitch, would become the standard for attaching implements to farm tractors.

To demonstrate his new hitch, Ferguson built the Ferguson Black tractor. This led to an agreement with David Brown to build the Ferguson-Brown. The arrangement was short lived, and Ferguson made a new deal with Henry Ford to develop tractors using his hitch. The deal with Ford lasted until 1947, when it ended with a bitter lawsuit. Following this, Ferguson entered into an arrangement with the Standard Motor Company to produce his own line of tractors. Ferguson was taken over by Massey-Harris in 1953. The Massey-Ferguson brand is still used today by AGCO. -source www.tractordata.com

Message posted with TractorByNet v1.6.2 for iPad

/ Massey Ferguson TO35 #22  
I'd wager that if you took the time to read many of the Massey 135 threads, you'd find them to be quite informative about your tractor because the TO-35 is almost identical to the early versions of the Massey 135 tractor, except for a bit of sheet metal here and there.

Earlier when I said the TO-35 was almost identical to the early versions of the MF-135, I was thinking of the MF-35. It was late and I was tired, so... Regardless, the engine and many other components of the TO-35 are still virtually identical to those found on the MF-35 and MF-135 tractors.

Here is a link to a PDF file with information about the evolution of the Ferguson TO-35 to the Massey Ferguson MF-35, which later evolved into the Massey Ferguson 135.

http://fergusontractors.org/fena/wp-content/uploads/Evolution-of-the-TO-35-to-the-MF-35.pdf

Here are links to PDF files with information about the history of Ferguson, Massey Ferguson, and AGCO.

http://fergusontractors.org/fena/wp-content/uploads/History-Timeline-of-HF-MHF-MF-AGCO1.pdf

http://fergusontractors.org/fena/wp-content/uploads/A-Brief-Ferguson-History1.pdf

/ Massey Ferguson TO35
The purpose for looking into this forum was to find out if any other TO 35s had the same power steering leak that drains into the transmission as mine does. I have a few manuals for this tractor but was hoping to find a little heads up on the repairs.

/ Massey Ferguson TO35 #24  
The purpose for looking into this forum was to find out if any other TO 35s had the same power steering leak that drains into the transmission as mine does. I have a few manuals for this tractor but was hoping to find a little heads up on the repairs.

Unless someone chimes in with the answer, you're most likely to find it in the Massey Ferguson Owning/Operating forum, for reasons stated previously.

/ Massey Ferguson TO35 #25  

After studying the power steering pump there are a few O rings that if they go bad could allow PS fluid into the tranny underneath it. Regardless of who you find, your going to have to rebuild that unit to replace all those O rings, which there are over six of them at different levels inside the unit. I looked at a 135 PS unit. I also pulled up several pictures on the net of TO35 and MF35 PS units and all looked similar. All a PS unit does is shift pressure through a couple of valves to change direction of high pressure fluid. Certain O rings hold that pressure back from leaking and getting into the tranny by way of gravity. Back in 57 Ford and MF'S where in competition so a lot of parts worked very similar. Don't limit your search to just MF'S. After all Ford built many MF's before they parted ways. Maybe someone will drop in with like past problems. Good luck. -robert

Message posted with TractorByNet v1.6.2 for iPad

/ Massey Ferguson TO35 #26  
I haven't posted on TBN in quite a while and didn't realize there was a MF section created. Glad to see it.

I have a 1957 TO-35, one owner, as in never sold but passed down. When I first got into tractors I ASSUMED it was built in the USA to later find Harry Ferguson was building tractors in Europe. You'll find TO and TE 35's. TE standing for Tractor Europe. Europe was the home country so the ones sent to the USA were stamped TO for overseas shipment.

I myself used to refer to the TO-35 as a MF but in getting used to the brand I now refer to it as a straight out Ferguson, before Massey became involved.

I wasn't aware of there being a MF 35, not saying there wasn't but I wasn't aware of it. I did think of the 135 to be nothing but a newer upgraded 35 with different sheet metal and more modern technology, it was the replacement for the 35.

Hey Kid, you sure Henry Ford built some of the Fergusons? Educate me, I don't know it all by a long shot. My understanding was that Ford was building tractors and started using Harry Fergusons new 3ph idea. Then they fell out and ended up in court, the courts deamed it ok for Ford to continue using the Ferguson style hitches but had to pay Ferguson royalties on his hitch idea. It was then that Harry Ferguson started building Ferguson tractors in compitition with Ford to try and show him who could build the best tractor. I never heard of Ford building tractors for Ferguson but was both sort of a thorn in the others side about it. I could be wrong though, so again, educate me.

Bonez, stick around dude, theres some good people here. Sometimes we are misunderstood or sometimes we misunderstand others. No sense letting a small misunderstanding ruin a great site for you or anyone else. A few years back I had my Ferguson scattered all over my shop, the old guy that took it apart got sick and the good people right here on TBN talked me through it and pointed me in the right direction, I got it all put back together. There was a guy from Great Britain on here that was a major help. There is a vast supply of knowledge here, wouldn't want you to miss out.

I also have one of those red Yanmar tractors too and these fine folks on TBN have walked me through getting it back up n running more than once. Again, lots of knowledge here. And I do plan on going over there to the old Cub Cadet part and worrying those people a lil bit too. I've let my '63 "original" set up a few years and need some answers on the governor. I'm sure they'll help me.

Like I said, some good people here. I take it in spells I guess but they are always here when I stump my toe.

/ Massey Ferguson TO35 #27  
Hey Kid, you sure Henry Ford built some of the Fergusons? Educate me, I don't know it all by a long shot. My understanding was that Ford was building tractors and started using Harry Fergusons new 3ph idea. Then they fell out and ended up in court, the courts deamed it ok for Ford to continue using the Ferguson style hitches but had to pay Ferguson royalties on his hitch idea. It was then that Harry Ferguson started building Ferguson tractors in compitition with Ford to try and show him who could build the best tractor. I never heard of Ford building tractors for Ferguson but was both sort of a thorn in the others side about it. I could be wrong though, so again, educate me.

The snippet I posted really doesn't tell the whole story with ford. Ferguson was building Harvesters self propelled. Ferguson also worked with Ford's Model T and made a tractor. I found a more detailed history of events. It's better than what's posted on Wikipedia. Wikipedia leaves out alot of detail and so does Tractordata.

Check this out. Over half way down it explains Ford's envolvement.

Evolution of Massey Ferguson tractors

/ Massey Ferguson TO35 #28  
hey Kid, I just went to that site and read the evolution of the ferguson tractor. I knew part of what I read but was not aware of Harry Fergusons involvement in the tractor industry prior to developing the ferguson system hitch. I thought his hitch on Fords tractor was his start in the tractor business. But those tractors were branded as Ford tractors and had "Ferguson System" emblems on them as well, seen a few of them at shows. I even saw one with a heated tractor seat once. Yes, it had water lines connected to a water jacket below the seat, used the engine heat to warm the seat.

Thanks for posting that site, very interesting read. Let's try to help Bonez get his steering repaired.

Bonez, I'm really no help to you, mine doesn't have power steering, and I've never dealt with that before. But I find the old fergusons and fords to be simple built tractors and say if you have any mechanical ability at all about yourself, if it were me, I'd tear it down and replace all the seals and O-rings in the unit. Maybe someone that has actually done that will chime in and help you out.

/ Massey Ferguson TO35 #29  
Thanks for posting that site, very interesting read. Let's try to help Bonez get his steering repaired.

Bonez, I'm really no help to you, mine doesn't have power steering, and I've never dealt with that before. But I find the old fergusons and fords to be simple built tractors and say if you have any mechanical ability at all about yourself, if it were me, I'd tear it down and replace all the seals and O-rings in the unit. Maybe someone that has actually done that will chime in and help you out.

I wish I could help. I thought the bottom of the steering assembly was flat. I don't know. The PS gear unit sits on top of the tranny. There must be some holes other than the tranny fill hole so fluid can enter the gearbox. In my opinion he has some blown seals (O rings) causing a leak, if it's PS fluid mixing with Tranny fluid. He never did say what color the fluid was or how he determined he actually had a leak in the PS unit. If it looks like creamed coffee it may be water entered thru the shift boots.

/ Massey Ferguson TO35 #30  

With limited information from you it's hard to help. Several have commented and only speculating. Most PS leaks documented are out the top vent and not leaking into the transmission. How did you determine the PS was leaking into the tranny?