Snow Massy GC2400 with 2360 snowblower- chute deflector rotating motor replacement?

/ Massy GC2400 with 2360 snowblower- chute deflector rotating motor replacement? #1  

KenLysons

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2032r with Tektite cab, New Holland W130B payloader
My 2012 only has 70 hours, but the motor seems to be failing. Sometimes it does nothing, no noise. Sometimes the motor spins but not the chute, turn it by hand and its not frozen or locked. The shaft locks are tight, no play anywhere.

Has anyone found a replacement bolt in motor? Love the unit but it is going to leave me unable to clear snow soon.

/ Massy GC2400 with 2360 snowblower- chute deflector rotating motor replacement? #2  
This motor will work well, is robust, and is spec'd at 75 rpm. It also has a provision to spin it with a cordless drill (if in a jam) just in case the powered option no longer works. First I've seen this drill option on one these type motors so bought it to replace mine when it dies. I'm on my third motor now, the second I purchased from Princessauto for 20 bucks or something but it didn't last long. Third one I purchased from and automotive store for around $90. Purchased the item listed below new at an auction last summer for $35 and will be putting in on next week. The motor below def has more heft to it than the other units.

Amazon.com: Solera 266149 Black Power Awning Replacement Universal Motor: Automotive

/ Massy GC2400 with 2360 snowblower- chute deflector rotating motor replacement?
Thanks Jay- is this a bolt on or do you have to change the output on the motor?

/ Massy GC2400 with 2360 snowblower- chute deflector rotating motor replacement? #4  
Thanks Jay- is this a bolt on or do you have to change the output on the motor?

It's a bolt on but you'll need to splice in a new connector to your existing wiring. The original unit that came with the blower had a Ford connector if I recall, this unit has spade terminals. Buy a couple crimp on connectors for your existing wiring or buy a SAE 2 pin quick disconnect connector and splice into existing wiring on both sides.

/ Massy GC2400 with 2360 snowblower- chute deflector rotating motor replacement?
Sorry I meant the output shaft being a gear- not the wiring

/ Massy GC2400 with 2360 snowblower- chute deflector rotating motor replacement? #6  
Sorry I meant the output shaft being a gear- not the wiring

The number of teeth on the output gear is not an issue. The gear slides into a smooth round collar and it's the two set screws on the collar that grab the teeth.

Last edited:
   / Massy GC2400 with 2360 snowblower- chute deflector rotating motor replacement? #7  
I just replaced my existing motor with the one in above link. The one I took of the blower I bought a few years ago and was a ford/lincoln unit that has the correct harness plug. It's a direct swap except for electrical connection. Something I completely overlooked though was "Left vs right" motors. For the mounting points to line up the motor needs to be mounted armature up.

I weighed the two units. Old motor 1lb 9oz. New unit 2lb 1oz.

Just curious if you've checked the set screws, they work themselves out easily.

I havent checked them other than turn the motor holding the chute to check for slippage or turn the worm, but will do that today. I might pull the whole thing apart today. I was going to bite the bullet, and buy one from Massey, the motor is $380 CAD. If yours works well though I will get 1 of them, thanks for the info

Last edited:
   / Massy GC2400 with 2360 snowblower- chute deflector rotating motor replacement? #9  
I havent checked them other than turn the motor holding the chute to check for slippage or turn the worm, but will do that today. I might pull the whole thing apart today. I was going to bite the bullet, and buy one from Massey, the motor is $380 CAD. If yours works well though I will get 1 of them, thanks for the info

The massey units for $380 is highway robbery. Especially considering it's a basic $50 motor and is not even weather resistant let alone water proof. If you want these to last they need to be covered to prevent water ingress.

Right?? THAT is why I want to find out the make/model of the motor unit. Must be available somewhere online.

I might stretch a balloon or something over it to weatherproof it. Or maybe 3d print a cover/shield over the entire thing. We have the technology :)