McCormick W4 won't run

/ McCormick W4 won't run #21  
To answer one of your earlier questions, yes, that hole is supposed to be in that tube.

Okie Dokie on the cleanup. Maybe a little ATF to free and clean up the sticky stuff.

Been a fan of MMO since the introduction of lead free gas, in all of my older small engines. It eliminated sticking exhaust valves immediately..!! And an occasional additive to the crankcase, on certain ones. I still ad a dash when refueling my older tractors.

I used to use Rislone years back also, as an oil additive.

/ McCormick W4 won't run
MikeR gave me a hand to take the manifold off today. I looked at the valve stems and they are COATED in carbon. I think I'll take the head off and give everything a once over and good cleaning before I do anything else. I'll post a pic of one of the valve stems soon.

/ McCormick W4 won't run #23  
MikeR gave me a hand to take the manifold off today. I looked at the valve stems and they are COATED in carbon. I think I'll take the head off and give everything a once over and good cleaning before I do anything else. I'll post a pic of one of the valve stems soon.

While you have the head off and the engine apart you should also deglaze the cylinder walls.

/ McCormick W4 won't run
While you have the head off and the engine apart you should also deglaze the cylinder walls.

Ya I will. Depending what the crank shaft looks like, I may decide to send it to a machine shop and to put new bottom end bearings into it.

/ McCormick W4 won't run #25  
DanB53 said:
I'll post a pic of one of the valve stems soon.

What no pictures. Did you try to take them there valves out yet.

/ McCormick W4 won't run
P1040384.jpgP1040385.jpg
Sorry it took me so long to get these uploaded but I've been busy with a lot of different projects lately. Heres the valves and head. No major surprises. Theres definitely some seating issues but no obvious major problems. I'll update you guys again once i get them ground.

/ McCormick W4 won't run #27  
No major surprises.

What about the screen from the carb that got up in there, At least it didn't cause and damage.

Last edited:
   / McCormick W4 won't run
What about the screen from the carb that got up in there, At least it didn't cause and damage.

I found a flattened piece of metal in the #2 exhaust seat. My guess would be that it is screen that was missing. But your right, there was no noticable damage to the seat.

/ McCormick W4 won't run
Dan maybe you should just ride my big tractor and come explore a new world with me!

I don't know who you are and no offence ma'am but if your not here to help I'd appreciate you not posting replies

/ McCormick W4 won't run
I've soaked the valves in "Super Clean" for 5 days and brushed them off with a brass brush. The exhausts on #2 and #3 still won't come clean though. I'll just keep soaking them and brushing them until they do. I just wanted to update you guys on my progress.