Meaning of "Meine Ehre Heibt Treue?"

/ Meaning of "Meine Ehre Heibt Treue?"
Re: Meaning of \"Meine Ehre Heibt Treue?\"

Hey, the other "historical item" that we have is a German Mauser side arm. We had to choose between a bayonet or a firearm. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif We chose the knife, although I doubt the Mauser will even fire. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks, and thanks also for the link. I guess "HeiBt" means something like "is" so I'll go with my "My honor is faithful." That isn't really a "B" but something else.

/ Meaning of "Meine Ehre Heibt Treue?" #13  

I posted that phrase here, http://forum.dict.cc/, to see if someone will put it all together properly, being that word seems to have many different meanings according to usage.

/ Meaning of "Meine Ehre Heibt Treue?" #14  

Tom,

Got it for certain.

Meine Ehre HeiBt Treue - My Honor Is My Loyalty

-JC

/ Meaning of "Meine Ehre Heibt Treue?" #15  

Tom,

Also written "Meine Ehre heisst Treue" (ss instead of ß). To make this character, hold the ALT key on your keyboard, type 0223 on your numeric keypad (on the right, won't work with the numbers at the top of the keyboard), then let up on the ALT key after you've typed all 4 characters.

Be advised: This is from a period of time involving Nazi Germany and WWII, so the information you find and the sites that have the information may contain racist or nationalistic messages. I do not support or condone any type of that behavior and am simply doing some searches to help you find the information you have requested.

I have done some quick reading, and it seems that this is related to the Finnish SS Volunteers who signedup to fight the Russians and no one else. They refused to take oaths of loyalty to ******.

Here are some links:

Waffen - SS Units

Finnish Volunteer Army Literature - Specifically, look for "Olli Wikberg" (Try Google for this author, too)

More information than you will ever need- including lots of pictures, training, battles, casualties, Officer courses, disbandation, biographies, SS-ranks, letters & E-mail, etc.:

A Pictorial History of the Finnish Volunteer SS-Battalion

Here is a replica of your dagger for sale, with a description:
SS Schutzstaffel (Elite Guard) Dagger - about $40 for the replica .

Here is a picture:
SS Enterprise's Knife Selection

Reference to this being an officer's dagger...
Museum of Tolerance

Go to www.google.com and enter "Meine Ehre heisst Treue" including the quotes and you'll get about 1860 hits...

Learning about this stage in our world's development is sometimes disturbing, but the subject of war always is.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." [Sorry, can't recall original author of this quote /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif]

Good luck.

-JC

/ Meaning of "Meine Ehre Heibt Treue?" #16  

<font color="blue"> "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." [Sorry, can't recall original author of this quote] </font>
George Santayana

/ Meaning of "Meine Ehre Heibt Treue?" #17  

Nice aritfact.

As one poster noticed and noted already, When you see that "B" in German it is actually two "ss"'s.

Good that people are still learning about history. In detail.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks everyone for the quick and excellent responses on this one. Much appreciated and a great history lesson! Wife took the dagger to the school this morning and a uniformed officer delivered it to the classroom. I will go later to pick it up from the office. Daughter also took some Nazi medals, pins, and patches.

Yes, a terrible time in our history but we must not dismiss/forget what happened!

We have the dagger as my Father-in-Law fought in Europe in WWII (he passed in 1992). There was a whole trunk full of this type of material. Even has letters from US Gov. stating that material is legally possessed...

Thanks again,

/ Meaning of "Meine Ehre Heibt Treue?" #19  

The letters called "esssetz"

/ Meaning of "Meine Ehre Heibt Treue?" #20  

REALLY cool dagger. I don't think it's a bayonet, as it doesn't have any obvious way to attach to a firearm. A lot of bayonets from that era are much longer and many are a simple spike, not a blade.

I've never seen one of these before, although bayonets are quite common at gun and knife shows. I suspect it's worth quite a bit of $.