Snowblower Mechanical VS Hydraulic Snowblower

/ Mechanical VS Hydraulic Snowblower #11  
I'm running a 78" Erskine blower on the front of my NH TN70DA, 4WD tractor. I've owned the unit for going on 10 years now with nary a problem or anything breaking. When I was first considering a blower the question of hydraulic or mechanical was on my mind too. After talking to Erskine they recommended mechanical as it requires less hp. to do the same job. At the time I had it on a NH TN55 with 50 hp. at the pto. It would blow snow 50-60 feet. I do have to take off the loader to mount the blower but that's only a 20 minute job start to finish. One other thing. Driving around backwards is a pain in the neck, literally. So go with a front mount.

/ Mechanical VS Hydraulic Snowblower #12  
Hey Guys, I'm looking to get a front mount blower for a kubota tractor. I know they both are expensive, buuuuut my question is,is one better than the other. I know that you need either a mid pto or rear pto apparatus to run a mechanical and also some type of hydraulics for the other. Any thoughts? Thanks,
===================================================================================================================

My question to you is this do you own this frame size tractor or are
you shopping for it or tractor in general?

Do you realise that a Grand L will allow you to have 2 or 3 three rear remotes to control a
rear mounted snow blower with ease?

Will you purchase a loader, wheel wieghts, good rear snow tire chains either the ring type
or logging chains ?

Will you have the tires loaded with rim guard or windsheil washer fluid in addition to the wheel
wieghts and chains swhich are a must have item in heavy snows?

Getting a Grand L and a Pronovost Group 1 P-720-74s now blower with hydraulic chute rotation
and spout control will be much more productive in snow removal with a pronovost front mount
kit and the reversing gear box if you want o have a front mounted snow blower that can be used
on the rear as well.

You are limited with a front mount snow blower to the size of the auger housings ability to pull snow
into the impeller and in heavy deep snow falls you will have much snow that wil be falling over the
snow blowers housing and under the tractor as it advances where this would not occur with a rear
mounted snow blower as the auger open housing pull all the snow into the impeller.

And the under frame mount will reduce your ground clearance!

Have you taken the time to sit down create a decision tree to come to a conclusion good or bad?

Do you really need a tractor of this size and wieght when a BX2660 with a wider rear blower can do the same job
at less cost?

You will find that having a rear mount blower is better simply because the view is better and you
are up and over the snow blower giving you a full field of view where you cannot see in
front of the snow blower in a front mount set up.

All you may need is need is a firm pillow or the upgraded kubota seating option
to reduce lower back stress while you are slightly turned in the seat and
the open station allows you to use your left foot to control the directional
pedal and releasing the pressure on the pedal will allow the tractor to come
to a stop with the rear blower being on the ground.

A front mounted blower may or will limit your ability to trade up to a different
machine as it may not be useable on the newer unit you wish to trade up to
where a rear mount will go from tractor to tractor with no issues
other than a possible pin mounting change over from type 1 to 2 pin size?

Snow removal speed is measured in tons per minute not width of cut when
discussing a snow blower so please keep this issue in mind first when
examining the issue.

A handy thing to keep in mind;

88 feet per is one mile per hour
176 feet per minute is 2 miles per hour
264 feet per minute is 3 miles per hour
352 feet per minute is four miles per hour

The snow blowers cutting hieght impeller diameter and impeller drum depth are of primary
importance when making this decision as the cutting hieght will be what determines the cross
augers ability to feed snow and allow the impeller to cast it aside.

The open auger design / open ribbon type allows for faster conveying of snow to the impelller drum but
The impeller drum can be flooded and impede its ability to cast snow.

At 3 miles per hour you can cover a 500 foot drive in less than
2 minutes in reverse in one pass for any size blower in low snow
fall accumulations.

And be done in less than 5 minutes with two passes.

The snow fall tonnage not the depth is what is the primary issue
for any snow blower purchase.

You can purchase a very narrow width snow blower and have the
ability to remove hundreds of tons per hour with a 4 foot width of cut
using the pronovost side walk snow blower as an example using a
50 horse power machine.

In some tractor owners cases they buy a much wider rear mounted snowblower
and simply travel a bit slower in reverse to accompolish the SAME THING with a
smaller tractor so keep that in mind also.

Dont expect to be able to remove snow at the speed of mowing in forward unless
you can afford to purchase a machine that has 80-90 horsepower if you insist
on a front mounted snow blower which will cost much much more than the same
size rear mounted blower.

Last edited:
   / Mechanical VS Hydraulic Snowblower #13  
Turned up this old thread looking for information on something else.

One thing to consider about that rear mount snow blower is, can you comfortably, and safely, stay turned around backwards in the seat to see where you're going? I probably could in my 20's and 30's, but not in the last half of my 50's. 3-point hitch snowblowers are a young persons game. A front mount snowblower is mandatory for me. Even if not mandatory for physical reasons, a front mount I can easily see both ends, where I'm headed, etc. Turned around looking backwards is a limited view at best.

/ Mechanical VS Hydraulic Snowblower #14  
Turned up this old thread looking for information on something else.

One thing to consider about that rear mount snow blower is, can you comfortably, and safely, stay turned around backwards in the seat to see where you're going? I probably could in my 20's and 30's, but not in the last half of my 50's. 3-point hitch snowblowers are a young persons game. A front mount snowblower is mandatory for me. Even if not mandatory for physical reasons, a front mount I can easily see both ends, where I'm headed, etc. Turned around looking backwards is a limited view at best.

Given that I have to do quite a bit of squirming around to PRECISELY position the rear blade when pulling snow away from cars, trucks, trailers, buildings, in fact away from EVERYTHING at the start of every pass, then turn to face front again - I would guess YES, I could do that.

PS First half of some decade - and it certainly ain't 50's, but I still move around a lot in other activities.
Get yourself a wind surfer, it will loosen you up a LOT - well, at least the FALLS will (-:

/ Mechanical VS Hydraulic Snowblower #15  
Given that I have to do quite a bit of squirming around to PRECISELY position the rear blade when pulling snow away from cars, trucks, trailers, buildings, in fact away from EVERYTHING at the start of every pass, then turn to face front again - I would guess YES, I could do that.

PS First half of some decade - and it certainly ain't 50's, but I still move around a lot in other activities.
Get yourself a wind surfer, it will loosen you up a LOT - well, at least the FALLS will (-:

I have a few physical ailments that prevent me from doing a lot of things. Attempting wind surfing, or many other activities, would be a pure waste of money I don't have. :D My comment, like yours, was more of a general statement, but a valid one to consider.

/ Mechanical VS Hydraulic Snowblower #16  
I have a few physical ailments that prevent me from doing a lot of things. Attempting wind surfing, or many other activities, would be a pure waste of money I don't have. :D My comment, like yours, was more of a general statement, but a valid one to consider.

Since you only mentioned (mere) age I assumed that was the only thing getting in your way and since I have more of that than you do I didn't see it as a HUGE obstacle... (-:

The windsurfer suggestion was kinda/sorta a joke - that is to say I get laughed at every summer.

The biggest problem I see with the front mount blowers is that they preclude use of the loader.
OK, so you can put a rear blade on for scraping out from buildings, so you don't have to use the bucket for that, but I do like to use the bucket to stack snow with.
It is also VERY useful or digging out the storm drains that my town's contractor INSISTS on plowing in.
Not sure how easy those would be with a front blower, though I know I would rather do them with the loader than the rear blade.

I'm in Mass, quite frankly we rarely get enough snow (for me) to justify a tractor blower and I have NO intention of "investing" in one to make money (-:

/ Mechanical VS Hydraulic Snowblower #17  
We my dad has a blower on his BX and its pretty sweet. Its not quite as much fun as plowing because your driving so slowly. It does clean the driveway very well! (paved so the shoes are all the way down) The only thing I hate about snowing blowing is the snow always seems to be blowing back into my face when I'm trying to put it where I want it. The front mount is very nice and a set of goggles and a full face mask help greatly! Its also very quickly able to switch from blower to loader if the situation presents itself. Personally, I like to bulk the majority of the snow out, then go around and clean up things as needed/as my tolerance to the cold allows. It does seem to bog down a bit when you try and go a little faster than you should. (Never had snow as deep as the blower intake though)

There is alot of tractor work that requires frequent looking behind you. If you can't drive in reverse very well, I would not suggest a rear blowerbut it would be good practice! A suicide knob would be a must.

Has anyone ever put extensions/scrapers on the impeller or a spacer in the impeller housing to tighten up the clearances?

/ Mechanical VS Hydraulic Snowblower #18  
Hey Reg, I took the surfer comment tongue in cheek, no problem there. I like the blower because once it's blown, it's gone. I really don't like the cold enough to go out into the yard or field chasing it just to pile it up. LOL I don't have, nor see a need, for a loader. We used to use one on the farm years ago. It's what we had. I'm sure glad to be beyond that now, as the snowblower makes it so much easier. I do NOT miss the loader. it was a pain for me.

Everyone has different needs and circumstances. I was purely pointing out that the circumstances for many may dictate a front blower over a rear mounted one. Just trying to advise people to consider ALL circumstances. What works for some, may not work for others, and I didn't see anyone address the issue of always looking backwards with a rear mount blower.

/ Mechanical VS Hydraulic Snowblower #19  
thats the reason i went with a loader mount snowblower as opposed to a frame mount unit. I can swap between blower, plow and bucket in 2-3 minutes.
I didnt want to get stuck without the loader to use.

and my back and neck issues precluded anymore turning around and driving backwards for 6 hours on snow days.