Metal building leaking windows

/ Metal building leaking windows #1  

tab1234

Tractor
Kabota
Built a 2x6 framed spray insulated earth contact metal garage on slab. We planned to live in it until we built a house, but it has turned out so nice, think we'll just live in our metal barn and build a garage .

When the contractor built the barn they did not wrap the building. They just screwed the metal on the 2x6s and sprayed the open cell spray insulation on the metal. Once we moved in, we had a hard wind driven rain and the windows leaked. I assumed it was running down the metal siding, hitting the J trimming around the windows and running behind the siding to the sill plate and running into the house. Contractor came and chalked around the windows and the J trim, still leaked. He then drilled holes around 1 window and sprayed in more open cell insulation and chalked between the window and the J trim (about a 1/16 inch gap). That window stopped leaking. Contractor came back and chalked all windows between window and J trim. Tested one window and it still leaked. Contractor came out and chalked around J trim and the siding and touched up the chalk between window and J trim. Have not tested this window yet.

My concern is the contractor is going to keep chalking until he stops the leaks and then a few years from now the leaks will start again and it will be my problem for ever.

Any one have experience with this? What is the proper way to fix this permanently?

Thanks for any help.

/ Metal building leaking windows #2  
Penetration details on metal buildings are some of the most commonly messed up construction details on earth. Can you post some photographs? And while you're at it, do a thorough google search for details and make sure yours is indeed close to correct.

/ Metal building leaking windows #3  
Does your roof have any overhang? What about gutters? One of these could help solve your problem too. I replaced all of the windows in my log home last year, and there's quite a system to keep water out - construction adhesive, caulk, vinyl-butyl tape and spray foam insulation. But keeping the water from running down the walls would be the most effective step.

/ Metal building leaking windows #4  
Windows should be sealed when they are installed...period!
IMO, The windows should be removed...any issues with the openings etc. and overhead flashing should be addressed and the windows reinstalled correctly with a quality sealant...

/ Metal building leaking windows #5  
Good luck getting a contractor to do that ^^ LOL.

Lets see some pics of the issue to see if the trim is installed incorrectly or maybe something else.

/ Metal building leaking windows #6  
Without osb skin over the 2 x 6s you make life hard on yourself. Very hard to get any water details that are time proven without anything to build it off of.

/ Metal building leaking windows #7  
Windows should be sealed when they are installed...period!
IMO, The windows should be removed...any issues with the openings etc. and overhead flashing should be addressed and the windows reinstalled correctly with a quality sealant...

This 100 %. Gutters, roof overhangs, etc etc can help but they are fixing the symptom not fixing the problem. Caulking is at best a safety backup in case something moves or shifts and then leaks. Proper caulk such as a urethane product is really important. Tapes can work real well, once again it needs to be a quality product. Quality products are hard to find if not impossible at most box store outlets. CLEAN and spotless surfaces will be very important for the products to seal. Bottom line is they were installed incorrectly and once their "caulked and fixed" its going to be much harder to find the problem and fix it WHEN they start leaking again. I cannot say they will leak again for 100% sure, but i would sure bet on it.

/ Metal building leaking windows #8  
Have you checked the windows themselves? I've seen the cheaper windows leak, and in what was intended as a garage or shop, they may not be the best. I'd say that without sheathing & Tyvek, the windows…….. J channel is just something for wind & water to go around, it won't keep it out. I imagine that your windows were installed directly on the framing offering no where for the water to go. Caulking is a band aid that you'll need to tend to periodically, and by the way, open cell spray foam is not a water barrier as far as I know and is "hydroscopic" and will absorb water.
Take a hose and start at the bottom of the window (but only wetting the metal wall), go up half the window height and inspect the inside for leaks. This might take hours to show. Repeat this spraying (the next day) all the way to the top & above the window, then repeat only spraying the window, again, the next day, until you locate the problem.

/ Metal building leaking windows #9  
If I were to take a job with no sheathing (I wouldn't) this what I would do...
Silicone set the windows expect the sill. I would flash the sill and design it to expel water if it made it there. More than one way to do it. Pick one.

Flash the head of the window and counter flash with bitchathane. Should be room to do this on the framing header.

Use closed cell insulation.

That's not where you are now though. Now all you do is find it and caulk it. Do not caulk till you find it. That is a mess! You can not pull the window. No one is going to do that unless you pay a new contractor. It involves at least cutting back the siding. Not sure where that would get you though because you have no sheathing to put up trim around the window later. As you pull the siding to get the window all the foam comes with and not without protest. You could cut the nail fins on the window but that makes maters worse trying to seal the new window. I would only go there if it was the window that failed.

/ Metal building leaking windows #10  
Your contractor is an idiot. He should have never allowed you to use open cell foam on a metal building. Open cell foam is a sponge and it will hold water until it saturated, and then quickly turn into a mold mess. It voids all metal warranties because it holds moisture.

The window was not installed properly. The proper method for installing windows keeps evolving, but the basics are that it is sealed around the flange with flashing tape, or some other specialty tape. The simple fact that he is trying to fix this with caulking and more open cell foam proves that he is an idiot.

Adding gutters and an overhang, or even a small porch like covering over the window will cut down to some degree of how much water you are getting on the window, but it will not solve the problem that the window was installed incorrectly.

Just about every month, magazines like JLC and Fine Home Building have articles on how to install windows. It's really basic, but for whatever reason, not always done like it should.

It's time to find somebody who knows what he is doing and get rid of the hack that is wasting your time.