Metric tool conversion

/ Metric tool conversion
You guys are correct - I found out and tested a 1 1/8 socket late this afternoon.

However, how is it that a 1 1/8" socket works on a Japanese Yanmar tractor. Before I took the measurement and tried the 1 1/8" socket, I bought every metric socket the store had and none of them seemed to work, unless I missed one - I was buying and then returning them as they were not cheap and I only wanted the one that fit.

/ Metric tool conversion #13  
RGood,
What part is this "bolt" on. Where is it? Could it have been changed to US equiv by a previous owner?

As Rob pointed out the 28 mm would be too small. So the closest that would work is 29mm and, since Crafstman sells such a beast, it must be used at least occasionally. 29mm actually works out to be 1.142, which is a bit sloppier than the 1 1/8, but would work.

Mike

/ Metric tool conversion #14  
English to metric, multiply the English measurement by 25.4
Metric to English, multiply the measurement by .03937

Convert fractions to decimal, divide the top number by the bottom (3/4 = .750, for example)

Using English sockets on a metric bolt can result in rounding off the bolt or nut. Very few English fit the metric fastener snugly (same thing applies going the other way) so use good judgment when using sockets that aren't exactly the correct size...especially when torquing.

/ Metric tool conversion #15  
3RRL said:
You could use a 1-1/8" socket for that. 1.120" is only .005" less than 1-1/8" which is about normal for that size.
If you get a 28mm socket (1.102") it will be .018" too small, or 1/2mm small IMHO.

Mornin Rob,
Gee its amazing how toolmakers think alike ! :) I thought the exact same thing reading the first post and then scrolled down to your reply ! ;)

Oh BTW, thanks for the Halloween joke, the modelshop thanks you also !!!:)

/ Metric tool conversion #17  
Scotty,
I was thinking that size 1.120" is a standard hex head for a 1-1/8" socket. Tool makers rule! Hahaha

Glad you like the Halloween wake up call. It got me and scared the bejezus out of me.:)

/ Metric tool conversion
MJ, the 29 mm probably would work - However the place I was buying the sockets at had a 27mm and then it jumped to 30mm - So, I didn't know what was up with that - But I believe you when you say there's a 29.

I need to just buy a complete set :)

Thanks for your help.

/ Metric tool conversion #19  
The problem in the metric wrench department is that there is a variety of head sizes for a "standard" bolt size. A 6 mm bolt "normally" has a 10 mm head, the next standard size is 8 mm which normally has a 13 mm head, but every set of metric sockets will include an 11mm and 12 mm because there are non-standard bolt sizes, and head sizes vary also within a given bolt size.

I recently bought bolts of 22 mm (7/8) to use as 3 pt pins. While they are non-standard, they are available. The standard is 20 mm and then 24mm.

I believe this kind of thing used to be the case in the US. My first socket sets always included a 19/32, which I never used and would often grab thinking I had a 5/8. I would look when it did not fit.:mad: I do not believe I ever did use those sockets. Maybe 3RRL could enlighten us on that.

For your situation, since 1 1/8 works I would not worry about a 29 mm. What for?

Mike

Mike

/ Metric tool conversion #20  
When I posted I cut and pasted the chart and did not study it close enough. And, the little program that Mickey FX, suggested is a good little program with more information than the one I suggested. It has conversions for newton meters that torque conversions need for todays engines etc.
In addition, the chart was from a pipe chart. I saw at least one commonly used size on there that was not correct. SO, check before buying the whole thing. Sorry if anyone was mislead by that. In the future I will double check the thing. You can get a set of metric at Wal Mart if your just going to be a casual user. Made by Stanley
I have one set of those and have not had any problems with them. I would probably want Snap On, or something equivalent, if I were going to make a living with them.

Last edited: