mf 154-4

/ mf 154-4 #1  

Anonymous Poster

could someone help me find some info on a Massey-Ferguson 154-4 (1981).Just some basic info or web resources would be great. I'm having a tough time finding information.Looked at one in great shape with a loader for around $6500,good or bad deal? thanx

/ mf 154-4
The Massey Ferguson 154-4 was built by Landini in Italy in the late 70's to early 80's. It used a Perkins 152 - 3 cyl, about 43 PTO HP. Most were Multi-power trans. 12/4 speed, about 5000 lbs.

/ mf 154-4
was it a fairly reliable and well made tractor? Do you think it's worth the money? (exellent shape with loader).Thanx for replies

/ mf 154-4
You must check out the multi-power and make sure it's working properly... big bucks down the road if it's not ... like a few thousand to fix, must split the tractor, pull entire hydraulics apart. (Usually MP starts to fail around every 4000 hours, the pump goes, and needs rebuilding, guess what... the hydraulic pump is internal, very labor intensive!)

If it didn't have MP, I'd buy it in a second. The Perkins 152 is a fuel sipper, and a bullet-proof engine. Consider a true 4WD tractor with loader @ $6500 seems "way too low", something doesn't sound right.

If you can get a written warranty even for 30 days, then a "buy", if not... say good 'bye'

/ mf 154-4
Thank's for the info John,very helpful. Is there any way to check the MP?

/ mf 154-4 #7  
John,
why don't you like the multipower? I've got a massey super 90 with over 10,000 hours and the multipower on it is still in great shape.

tractorpic.jpg

/ mf 154-4
If MP is working I Love It! When it's not working, that's the problem.

If Massey had located the pump outside, like engine mount, that was fairly accessible... No Problem... However... It's buried in the rear housing, very time consuming.

Splitting a tractor & changing a clutch is one thing, but MP is more time and money. AGCO shows no mercy on replacement parts costs. They got it , you don't, here's the price...!

What do you think about this $6500. bargain for a 4 WD and loader? I'm probably the most optimistic person you'll ever met... but this leaves something in my gut that doesn't settle. I haven't even seen this unit! But I wish the buyer the best.

What is it? Caveat Emptor...

/ mf 154-4
Yes & No. The short NO is it may take a few hours of "working" the tractor, using the PTO, and going down a long hill before you may see the defects.

Some quick tests:

Switch MP into High range, pick any gear and go up an incline, push your clutch in, (don't use any brakes), the unit should STOP . If the tractor starts rolling backwards by itself... the Multi-Power is not working.

Pick a safe hill , go down the hill in 1 or 2, should go steady down, If you "freewheel" (like you push the clutch in and start rolling real fast) the Multi-Power is not working.

As you can see, it can be very dangerous if it's not working properly let alone if you have an "independent" PTO, which most 154-4 had. This means the MP pump ties into the Independent PTO... Guess what... when one acts up... It's a Knee Jerk situation... you all of a sudden lose the PTO.

When all is said and done, with No Multi-power not working, No PTO not working... you've got a big mass of useless cast iron sitting there.

Well did you hear enough? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ mf 154-4
Thanks again for all the info.The owner took this tractor on trade and hardly uses it, (didn't know if it had M-P or not),he primarily uses a large John Deere.Where is the lever located that engages the high or low M-P?(sorry for my lack of knowledge, this may be my first tractor)