MF 165 Engine Break Down - Comments welcome Please

/ MF 165 Engine Break Down - Comments welcome Please
Hi all,

Been busy cleaning!!! Engine stripped now. Pistons and liners were marked/scored so they all had to come out in the end. If you can see it in some of the pictures the head has some deep marks from either the piston or the liner moving. Also there is deep pitting on the head most likely from combustion issues? Is this fixable or it is a lost cause? Its only noticeable now after some cleaning. Question is do I continue as I am or does head need to be replaced also? There has been some grungy gunk taken from the water system but getting there!

Thanks again all. Will be almost time for ordering new parts soon....

Attachments

• IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    813.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    843.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMAG0414.jpg
    IMAG0414.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMAG0415.jpg
    IMAG0415.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG0420.jpg
    IMAG0420.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG0422.jpg
    IMAG0422.jpg
    900.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG0425.jpg
    IMAG0425.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 93
  • IMAG0426.jpg
    IMAG0426.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0446.jpg
    IMAG0446.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMAG0456.jpg
    IMAG0456.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG0462.jpg
    IMAG0462.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMAG0465.jpg
    IMAG0465.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMAG0485.jpg
    IMAG0485.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 94
  • IMAG0486.jpg
    IMAG0486.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0487.jpg
    IMAG0487.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0488.jpg
    IMAG0488.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0489.jpg
    IMAG0489.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 86
   / MF 165 Engine Break Down - Comments welcome Please #22  
The ring marks that you are seeing on the surface of the head is the impression of the sealing ring in the head gasket. Can you actually feel it where it begins and ends? If you are concerned about the pitting inside the diameter of the ring (where the valves are) you can have it resurfaced to clean it up. I would find me a good straight edge and lay across the head and check it with a feeler gauge and see if the head is flat.

I still would take the block to a shop that can dip it and clean the corrosion out of the water passages.
I would have the valve guides check for tolerance and have a machine cut valve job done on the head. Yes you can probably lap the valves in yourself but it will not be as true. You still will need to slightly lap after a machine cut but only to make sure that you have a good sealing surface on the valve and seat.

I see nothing out of the ordinary on the pistons, other than just a little wear and tear, which is to be expected on an old piece of equipment.

All in all, I would say your doing great work with a great motor.

/ MF 165 Engine Break Down - Comments welcome Please #23  
The ring marks that you are seeing on the surface of the head is the impression of the sealing ring in the head gasket. Can you actually feel it where it begins and ends? If you are concerned about the pitting inside the diameter of the ring (where the valves are) you can have it resurfaced to clean it up. I would find me a good straight edge and lay across the head and check it with a feeler gauge and see if the head is flat.

I still would take the block to a shop that can dip it and clean the corrosion out of the water passages.
I would have the valve guides check for tolerance and have a machine cut valve job done on the head. Yes you can probably lap the valves in yourself but it will not be as true. You still will need to slightly lap after a machine cut but only to make sure that you have a good sealing surface on the valve and seat.

I see nothing out of the ordinary on the pistons, other than just a little wear and tear, which is to be expected on an old piece of equipment.

All in all, I would say your doing great work with a great motor.
Sounds like very good advice!
Ron

So I listened to good advice and I found a machine shop which has a large wash tank. The Block, head and a large collection of parts are away being washed and seats being recut and valves completely fitted after the head is skimmed and they are also fitting the liners into the block for me. They wanted me to use semi finished and hone them but I have to stick to some type of budget. If its not successful with the finished liners I'll have to fork out again but I'll deal with that later if it comes to it and strip down would be easier in the future! . Crank is being polished up, It was ok but I suspect they have re-ground it. Will have to wait and see when I get back to the shop and deal with it then. Least it will come back ready to start fitting back together. I'm running out of things to do in the meantime as I don't want to go near the back end till the front is put back together. I have decided to replace the clutch after bringing it to a dealer. It is very tired and degraded and though I could strip it and replace parts I'm going to go for the easy option on this one.
I also purchased a sandblaster pot and have been cleaning some parts, flywheel is ready to go and inside of clutch housing has been cleaned and repainted ready for the new clutch shoe and shafts to be inserted. I'm waiting on some parts to arrive to do this. After taking 4 hours to remove the clutch shaft I'll be happy to put a new one in and a new brake shaft, which was worn so badly in the housing. Will post some pictures later.

I have decided after some successful blasting that I am going to invest in a sandblasting cabinet. I have done some research and come up with my favourite which is looking like it will be the SBC990 Cabinet. Only thing is that I will also have to replace my compressor but I think I can use my redundant well compressor to use as an air receiver tank. It will give me an extra 100litre air capacity with my 50litre compressor. My CFU is a bit small but I can take home a diesel compressor at the weekends from work for the time being. Will also have to find a way to pay for it all especially as I'm meant to be saving for a house at the moment!!
I have also struck a deal with my agriline supplier for a 10% discount on the rebuild :)

So I picked up the engine and have received the engine kit and started to put everything back together again. Here are some photos of the progress to now. Some difference in those photos after been to the engine wash!!!

I forgot to order some conrod bushes and the wrong conrod bearings came in so I have to wait until next week before I can really get stuck into reassemble mode. I was really looking forward to it but guess it will just have to wait now :dance1:

View attachment 369059
View attachment 369067 View attachment 369066
View attachment 369065 View attachment 369064 View attachment 369063
View attachment 369062 View attachment 369061 View attachment 369060
View attachment 369068