Mf gc1705 inadequate protection plate

/ Mf gc1705 inadequate protection plate #21  
Agreed, John certainly comes up with interesting ideas and he shows everything, including any mistakes so we all learn together. I can barely remember to take pics no less do video myself..

/ Mf gc1705 inadequate protection plate #22  
Oh yeh, it's just like yours on the top part (after all, same youtube guy inspired both our builds), so plenty of air gets through that as is. As for the part that covers the hydro filter, well that's more air passages than Bro-Tek's.

I'm Pond Acres on Youtube, the dude he referenced in the vid. Me and Houndsman and John were all bitching earlier about lack of underside protection offered for the GC17xx, so cool of John to get the ball rolling with fabbing one. That guy is awesome, I got a lot of good ideas from him.

I been thinking about a guard for the fan for years now, and don't know when that project will rise to the top of the list, but am pretty sure I'm going to use some A36 type steel of flattened expanded metal, 1/8" thick, and diamond openings about 1/2" x 1", welded to a angle iron frame to connect to the tractor.

I also think I'll copy your design shape, which I like.

KC

/ Mf gc1705 inadequate protection plate #23  
Cool. Sounds like that thing will be bulletproof, KC.

/ Mf gc1705 inadequate protection plate #24  
Cool. Sounds like that thing will be bulletproof, KC.

I found a 2' x 2' piece of 3/4" x #9 - Steel Expanded Metal - Flattened (.120" thick x .563" x 1.688" opening) at "MetalsDepot" for $22.40.

For a real bulletproof guard they have a 4' x 8' piece of 6.25 lb - Steel Expanded Grating - Raised (.715" thick x .813" x 3.38" opening) for $643.20 that would make the entire bottom of the tractor function like a cheese grader when driving over branches on the ground, ouch.

KC

Here is a link to the website:

MetalsDepot(R) - Buy Expanded Steel Sheet Online!

/ Mf gc1705 inadequate protection plate #25  
For a real bulletproof guard they have a 4' x 8' piece of 6.25 lb - Steel Expanded Grating - Raised (.715" thick x .813" x 3.38" opening) for $643.20 that would make the entire bottom of the tractor function like a cheese grader when driving over branches on the ground, ouch.

I'm pro choice.

I think it's best to choose not to take the potentially serious risks associated with driving over things like tree branches, big rocks, chunks of ice, etc.

Plus now, I saved the $643.20 for the cheese grater. :cool2:

/ Mf gc1705 inadequate protection plate #26  
KC, you know what, I didn't catch on that's expanded metal you're thinking of using. The openings on that seem pretty big, I'd be worried sticks and stuff would jab through that.

/ Mf gc1705 inadequate protection plate #27  
KC, you know what, I didn't catch on that's expanded metal you're thinking of using. The openings on that seem pretty big, I'd be worried sticks and stuff would jab through that.

Yes, I'm thinking about those expanded metal "diamond shaped" openings also, but in the center it's only 9/16" wide and tapers to nothing in both directions in less then 7/8".

In the past it seems when a tree branch pops up underneath the tractor it's by running over it with the tires and the branch just rises up and falls back down after the tire rolls off of it.

If it appears to be a problem after installing, I'll purchase another piece of expanded metal and lay it on top of the original piece with the diamonds rotated 90 degrees and tack weld it.

If that does not work, I guess it will be on to plan "C"...

KC

/ Mf gc1705 inadequate protection plate
Follow up....so after tireless searches I have apologized to our beloved mf gc1705 protection plate that I thought was "inadequate". I now see the casting bubbles at the break off point on the thread nipple that broke off along w/ the hydraulic filter. Sent an email to agcoanswers and the response was a slap in the face. Agco isn't going to repair their own manufacturing defect. The warrenty doesn't end until 2/2021 on the tractor and agco wants us to pay out of pocket for their manufacturing flaw when agco has paid for the exact same casting flaw that other mf gc1705 owners have had issues w/.....

/ Mf gc1705 inadequate protection plate #29  
That sucks. What is the cost going to be for the fix? Maybe the dealer can offer some incentives or some act of good faith? Are u looking at significant damage?

/ Mf gc1705 inadequate protection plate #30  
That sux, Amysue. My own dealings with Agco when I was tractor shopping left me scratching my head and turned me off buying the massey from a dealer.