MF GC1720

/ MF GC1720 #11  
I really like the sub-compact Masseys. Even as a huge Kubota fan.
Nice choice. I'm considering a GC myself.

/ MF GC1720 #12  
I really like the sub-compact Masseys. Even as a huge Kubota fan.
Nice choice. I'm considering a GC myself.

I also was expecting since 2006 that my first tractor would be a kubota bx or yanmar sc2400. And after months of updated research this spring . . I heavily with full intentions considered those two brand choices . . . but research discovered things Massey dealers never told me . . and I ended up with a Massey GC1715 being delivered a week ago.

Strange as it seems there is a logic to it.

Both the kubota bx series and the yanmar sc2400 had "push ahead " engine cooling. So does the Massey . . but not other competitors.

Both the BX and SC2400 are true sub compact sided (physically) . . So too the Massey GC1700s.

All 3 brands have a locking differential. All three have flat floors.

Like the sc2400 . . the Massey has 2 hydraulic pumps . . so low rpm fel use is possible.

All 3 brands have very nicely designed tubular curved fel frames and great multi decade engine heritages.

5 year warranty on the massey. Really nice seating for those wirh some bulk muscle :).

Unlike the sc2400 or bx series . . Massey GC1700s have leftside brake AND 2 separate hydro pedals . . Good for us that have some leg or knee stiffness.

/ MF GC1720 #13  
I just detached the bellie mower and now can measure for ground clearance underneath the tractor. Here are my results: front axle about 8-5/8", front axle gears about 3-5/8" (lowest point). Rear plate that the Stabilizer is a part of about 7-1/8", bolts beneath the plate about 6-2/8". The filter protector plate about 9-3/4" The tires might make some difference. I believe I have R-4's. I do not have either the Turf or Ag.

I don't know how they came up with 6.7" ground clearance. But, 6.7" is close or about right.

Mdcook,

Now that you have seen the underneath of your Massey Are you considering getting one of those undercarriage protection plates for your unit?

I was thinking about it . . But I haven't had the belly mower off yet to see what is and isn't exposed.

/ MF GC1720
I never knew there was such an item as undercarriage protection plates. I can't see a need of getting any undercarriage plates. And besides, would there be room for such an item.

/ MF GC1720 #15  
I never knew there was such an item as undercarriage protection plates. I can't see a need of getting any undercarriage plates. And besides, would there be room for such an item.

On kubota bx product its virtually a requirement. Sticks get into the rear end cooling fan and . . there goes 500 bucks.

Now that I've had my deck off I see massey also has a cooling fan tucked up there a bit more but still un protected . . Especially if you have the belly mower off. So yes I'm planning on getting an undercarriage plate and at the same time investing in some spacers for the rears.

/ MF GC1720 #16  
I had the reference to an old thread (search or google) on the fan replacement between these two scuts. The one advantage the massey had was it was a simple 20 minute procedure vs a much more complex maneuver on the BX to replace the fan.

I just threw this out as to alleviate some concern on the Massey fan setup. In particular with the Kubota, one would think after all these years the manufacturer would revise the mechanics of a fan replacement.

Btw, I had the predecessor model 2310 and IMO when compared to others it is an excellent scut setup.

/ MF GC1720 #17  
I had the reference to an old thread (search or google) on the fan replacement between these two scuts. The one advantage the massey had was it was a simple 20 minute procedure vs a much more complex maneuver on the BX to replace the fan.

I just threw this out as to alleviate some concern on the Massey fan setup. In particular with the Kubota, one would think after all these years the manufacturer would revise the mechanics of a fan replacement.

Btw, I had the predecessor model 2310 and IMO when compared to others it is an excellent scut setup.

A very helpful post tompet. By the way . . I notice you used the past tense "i had the predecessor" what do you have now?

/ MF GC1720 #18  
It is under my avatar...b3300 TLB setup...in between was a b2920 TLB setup. And the old TO20...about the last thing from the farm where my dad grew up. I am partial to Massey's but at the time they didn't have quite what I was looking for and that is how I found Barlow's for a couple of trades.

No knock on the Massey capabilities it was a little bulldog, but I liked having a BH so much and used it so much I wanted something a little larger and heavier duty. I am pretty happy with my current setup. Unless you buy a true construction TLB, I think this is the largest model with a single spin around seat, which I like. Also, really handy is a set of q/a forks...though now they have SSOption which is even better.

I did like some of the small details on the massey...leaving 3pt on with BH, excellent design on BH "feet" with flip over street pads, function of attachments at low rpm, etc. btw, I had the 10" bucket on it and I swear it emptied clay better than 12" bucket on the first Kubota (and seemed to move as much dirt). Now I have a 16" bucket and separate ripper which works out real well on all counts. You can walk in a 16" trench, a little more awkward in a 12". What would be nice is a q/a for the BH bucket to ripper switch...maybe next tractor!

I am putting on some new BH stabilizer feet on the current BH it as soon as the paint cures.

Enjoy your Massey, it sounds like it took you awhile to research and finally buy! Great tool though isn't it?

/ MF GC1720 #19  
Stupid question probably but what's ripper? You mean a subsoiler type of thing?

/ MF GC1720 #20  
Here is the link to that fan replacement thread I referenced.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/273551-replaced-hst-fan.html

Zud....not a stupid question. Yes they kind kind of do look like a subsoiler mounted on a BH. Just look up bxpanded or michigan iron and equipment or google backhoe ripper and you will see many examples. Mostly they focus all of the force at one point for max power on your work at hand.