MF165 massive hydraulic fluid "weep hole" leak

/ MF165 massive hydraulic fluid "weep hole" leak #11  
I'd replace every elastomer seal I could get to when splitting a tractor. I used to do complete restorations on old tractors where this is standard operating procedure.

Good luck

/ MF165 massive hydraulic fluid "weep hole" leak #12  
I'd replace every elastomer seal I could get to when splitting a tractor. I used to do complete restorations on old tractors where this is standard operating procedure.

Good luck

Also there are paper gaskets that you should encounter as you remove pto shaft bearing cover and the input shaft seal housing. I have seen tractors reassembled without gaskets - not a best practice. Look at a MF 165 parts book for reference. Good luck.

/ MF165 massive hydraulic fluid "weep hole" leak
Hello everyone!

So, firstly, thanks for all the comments and support with this problem. I've finally had some time to dedicate to splitting the tractor to find out what exactly caused this massive leak.

And, as you can see in the attached pic, the problem was pretty obvious the moment the light of day hit that input shaft. It seems the main seal has cracked apart, rather dramatically.

I wanted to make this posting to at least keep everyone updated on this, as I'm sure it's a bit of curiosity to some of you who enjoy seeing these kinds of things. It's not everyday we get to see a 50 year old tractor torn apart to inspect.

But also, I wanted to further ask the advice of all of you who have been so helpful and encouraging to see if there were some further thoughts on things I should do while I've got this open. Of course, I'll need to correctly identify and get a hold of the seal that has broken, but also I'd like to get a little further in there behind the input shaft cover and replace the other seals and split washers that appear there on the parts breakdown.

And there has been one comment in favor of replacing the clutch, and one comment in favor of cleaning the clutch. So, any further comments regarding the clutch? I know for a fact as I was using this to finish my fall work(about 3 hours of total plowing after I discovered the leak out the weep hole) that hydraulic/tranny oil must have surely got on the clutch as it was sputtering out the top of the bell housing where you can see the flywheel. So, with that in mind, I'm assuming the clutch has got oil all over it. But I suppose a good dousing with clutch/brake cleaner could take care of that.

And while I like the idea of preventative maintenance, especially while I've got it open... I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to open it up. Most of the time consumed in the process so far was fabricating the wheel stands to hold the rear of the tractor up as I separated it. So, now that is done, I don't see it as such a big chore to open it up again in the future should other issues arise, maybe an hour total of bolts and wiring removal to get that part done.

I'm located in Europe in Czech Republic, does anyone have any idea about how to figure out the correct Massey part numbering for the seals I need to get a hold of? The parts breakdown I have is a full featured shop manual with about 1000 pages, but the parts breakdown doesn't give the Massey numbers, they're only index numbers(1, 2, 3 etc...) for identification on the drawing.

Also, regarding the hydraulic oil... I have a neighbor who is farming on a much larger scale who uses hydraulic oil by the barrel and can give me some for this job to refill when I'm done. It's Shell Spirax S4 TXM. Would this be alright to use or do I need to seek out some other hydraulic/tranny oil for this 1965 MF 165?

Thanks everyone!
Will of course keep everyone updated as this progresses. :)

Attachments

• CIMG1831RS.jpg
    CIMG1831RS.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 6,137
  • InputShaftSealBroken.jpg
    InputShaftSealBroken.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 8,832
   / MF165 massive hydraulic fluid "weep hole" leak #14  
Hello everyone!

So, firstly, thanks for all the comments and support with this problem. I've finally had some time to dedicate to splitting the tractor to find out what exactly caused this massive leak.

And, as you can see in the attached pic, the problem was pretty obvious the moment the light of day hit that input shaft. It seems the main seal has cracked apart, rather dramatically.

I wanted to make this posting to at least keep everyone updated on this, as I'm sure it's a bit of curiosity to some of you who enjoy seeing these kinds of things. It's not everyday we get to see a 50 year old tractor torn apart to inspect.

But also, I wanted to further ask the advice of all of you who have been so helpful and encouraging to see if there were some further thoughts on things I should do while I've got this open. Of course, I'll need to correctly identify and get a hold of the seal that has broken, but also I'd like to get a little further in there behind the input shaft cover and replace the other seals and split washers that appear there on the parts breakdown.

And there has been one comment in favor of replacing the clutch, and one comment in favor of cleaning the clutch. So, any further comments regarding the clutch? I know for a fact as I was using this to finish my fall work(about 3 hours of total plowing after I discovered the leak out the weep hole) that hydraulic/tranny oil must have surely got on the clutch as it was sputtering out the top of the bell housing where you can see the flywheel. So, with that in mind, I'm assuming the clutch has got oil all over it. But I suppose a good dousing with clutch/brake cleaner could take care of that.

And while I like the idea of preventative maintenance, especially while I've got it open... I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to open it up. Most of the time consumed in the process so far was fabricating the wheel stands to hold the rear of the tractor up as I separated it. So, now that is done, I don't see it as such a big chore to open it up again in the future should other issues arise, maybe an hour total of bolts and wiring removal to get that part done.

I'm located in Europe in Czech Republic, does anyone have any idea about how to figure out the correct Massey part numbering for the seals I need to get a hold of? The parts breakdown I have is a full featured shop manual with about 1000 pages, but the parts breakdown doesn't give the Massey numbers, they're only index numbers(1, 2, 3 etc...) for identification on the drawing.

Also, regarding the hydraulic oil... I have a neighbor who is farming on a much larger scale who uses hydraulic oil by the barrel and can give me some for this job to refill when I'm done. It's Shell Spirax S4 TXM. Would this be alright to use or do I need to seek out some other hydraulic/tranny oil for this 1965 MF 165?

Thanks everyone!

I removed the housing that the multipower valve is mounted on and the throwout bearing rides on. This is where the seal rings for the multi power are located. There is the seal on the end of that housing that failed and also an internal lipped seal in that housing. Manual warns this internal seal must be properly positioned to clear a shoulder on the input shaft. I replaced all lipped seals and seal rings. Replaced the whole clutch with a rebuilt assembly and throwout bearing. I also replaced the clutch disengagement shafts and bushings that were worn. Also the brake shaft bushings. Those bushings are split and were a bear to get back in. I had to machine special pins to push the new bushings in without overlapping. I also had to hold them tight on the pin with a hose clamp. I also rebuilt the multipower valve. Carefull putting it back together in the correct order. Also new copper washers under bolt heads.

As for oil,any oil that meets the Massey M 1129A specification sbould work. Word has it the multipower clutch is real fussy on correct oil. Hope I covered everything.

Great splitting stands!!!

I guess I can also say Hi to a fellow Czech. Both parents ancesters originated in the region of Bohemia. Love my Houska and Kolacky.

/ MF165 massive hydraulic fluid "weep hole" leak #15  
Hello everyone!

Thanks everyone!

Search the AGCO Parts Book under model for "165" using brand "Massey Ferguson", then you will have to determine the Multipower Transmission parts page applicable to your 165. Have casting & serial numbers at hand.

In order to replace the transmission input shaft seal, you are also going to have to split the transmission from the center housing, so as I said, get all of the gaskets and seals you will encounter. I say replace the clutch now: the transmission fluid did not do it any good. Check the rear crankshaft seal - even if it isn't leaking now, I would replace it. I would also replace the rear PTO shaft seal now. Then you will have all the seals and clutch up-to-date and not get into repairing successive failures. The seals are not that expensive or difficult compared to the effort involved in splitting the tractor. That's the way I see it and I do follow my own advice.

Use Permtran 1129A or equivalent.

Good luck.

Last edited:
   / MF165 massive hydraulic fluid "weep hole" leak
Hi Guys,

So, quick update on progress. It took a bit of detective work to locate exactly the parts that are needed for this repair. I got access to the AGCO parts books and found that this transmission apparently is a French manufactured version. And with that, the input shaft housing is a little different than what I've found in a lot of other 165 transmission drawings and diagrams that I could find online. There is this oil seal which seats over the end of the input shaft housing on a small rabbitted external section, capping it off and forming a flush fit as if it were one diameter throughout the length of the housing. On mine, you can see the rubber has pulled out and left the metal body of it behind. And, underneath this end cap oil seal, there is an internal rabbit in which a brass bushing was fit. This is what has cracked on mine. Inside this bushing is a single helical spiral that is about 2mm wide which I assume is to allow a little oil into and perform some lubrication between this bushing and the input shaft.

It seems that this bushing is no longer available to purchase, so I'm going to machine a new one. And, it appears the original material it was made from is brass. My question is if any of you guys were in the same position, would you use brass for this, steel or some other alloy in order to make it a little more robust to the stress and perhaps prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks for the help on this! :)

Dan

Attachments

• InputShaftBushing_Seal2.jpg
    InputShaftBushing_Seal2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 902
  • InputShaftBushing_Seal5.jpg
    InputShaftBushing_Seal5.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 2,814
  • InputShaftSealsBushing.jpg
    InputShaftSealsBushing.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 5,757
   / MF165 massive hydraulic fluid "weep hole" leak #17  
Hi Guys,

So, quick update on progress. It took a bit of detective work to locate exactly the parts that are needed for this repair. I got access to the AGCO parts books and found that this transmission apparently is a French manufactured version. And with that, the input shaft housing is a little different than what I've found in a lot of other 165 transmission drawings and diagrams that I could find online. There is this oil seal which seats over the end of the input shaft housing on a small rabbitted external section, capping it off and forming a flush fit as if it were one diameter throughout the length of the housing. On mine, you can see the rubber has pulled out and left the metal body of it behind. And, underneath this end cap oil seal, there is an internal rabbit in which a brass bushing was fit. This is what has cracked on mine. Inside this bushing is a single helical spiral that is about 2mm wide which I assume is to allow a little oil into and perform some lubrication between this bushing and the input shaft.

It seems that this bushing is no longer available to purchase, so I'm going to machine a new one. And, it appears the original material it was made from is brass. My question is if any of you guys were in the same position, would you use brass for this, steel or some other alloy in order to make it a little more robust to the stress and perhaps prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks for the help on this! :)

Dan

Use phosphor bronze. Harder than brass. Bearings are it's main use.

/ MF165 massive hydraulic fluid "weep hole" leak #18  
Hi, reading with interest this situation. What a lovely restoration job - I'd be proud of this machine. :thumbsup: Any chance of a few more pics, please include some of the complete tractor? Happy to see another good one preserved ..... not to mention still working. :)
I've never had much to do with the MP units though - they're not all that common here, although there are certainly some still about.
However, I'd love to see an exploded view of the parts in that area, including the sealing of the two input shafts. The reason is that it is important to note there is a lip-type seal pressed into the hollow (tubular) PTO input shaft from the clutch 2nd stage. It seals on a journal on the solid transmission input shaft. I'd expect it to be the original, even though the large outer hollow shaft-to-case seal may have been renewed. A couple years ago I put bearings and seals in a non-MP gearbox, including these input shaft seals. The bearing holder for these shafts is removable, although I think the bearing behind the round cover below it required removal, to allow just a little more room for the PTO cluster (counter-shaft) gear to clear the input shaft bearing holder. Nevertheless, I can see where your current problem exists.
While you certainly would want to pull it apart only once, I too would renew every seal in the area, plus any other deficient or damaged part, but your clutch should be Ok. That tractor I overhauled the gearbox on had the lower cover vent hole plated by a canopy frame, causing the bellhousing to fill with oil - to the same level as the gearbox! The starter was also oil-soaked and oil was being thrown out that timing porthole near the rear of the injector pump. What a mess ..... but after washing it all in petrol several times and a few days to dry out, clutch bites as well as ever, starter works like a new one, gearbox as well! :thumbsup: I think I still have some pics somewhere :confused:
Therefore, I'd advise you to inspect your clutch condition and see how worn the plate is as well, then decide if you should renew it whilst it is accessible. Remember, it's easy to seperate these tractors at the bellhousing, and replacing a clutch doesn't disturb anything else. Good luck!

/ MF165 massive hydraulic fluid "weep hole" leak #19  
How's the battle progressing - are you winning yet?

/ MF165 massive hydraulic fluid "weep hole" leak #20  
SIMassey on your 135 it sounds like you may have a completely worn out "nose cone". This allows the oil to bypass internally. It mimics perfectly a worn out multipower clutch pack. I had the nose cone remanufactured and got back a text book perfect, gear shift.