Mice are not nice

/ Mice are not nice #11  
Mice find the insulation they use today on wiring to be quite tasty.

Think I posted somewhere on here about my buddy burning his almost new Ford King Ranch diesel to the ground because because the mice built a mouse-house on his turbo and he was going to pick up his grandkids at school and the hot turbo ignited the mouse house and that was all she wrote for the truck. By the time he got stopped, it was a goner.

/ Mice are not nice #12  
I did have a 'mouse-house' under the hood of one of my M9's 2 years ago, built it right next to the firewall but since I invited the cats in and also use stinky dryer sheets, I've had no issues to date and the barn cats appear to be well fed too.

Little basaturds also ate the center out of the seat on my wife's ZTR as well. Had to replace the seat but I made it so I can tip it forward now so they cannot munch it.

...and people want them for pets. Wacky.

/ Mice are not nice #13  
Do you bait it? I notice they say you don't have to use bait.

I have two miniature dachshunds who have their nose in everything. The sticky traps work pretty good but I don't use them in the garage due to the dogs. This trap looks safer and more humane.
No bait used, dont want to attract them into your place. Once the first mouse goes in (to Cristen it), it leaves a trail the others follow. And it is not humane, only the strongest survive. A cage match.
Mice are very inquisitive and look through all the small passages, that is how they get into your machines and vehicle heater ducting.

I have a stone house, no place for mice to get in, except for the dormers on the roof. We used to get a few a year in the attic and get woken up at night. I have one of these set up at the foundation and haven't had one inside the house for a couple of years now.

/ Mice are not nice #15  
Mice and rabbits used to do wire harness damage and nest in the mower muffler...one even got in the fresh air filter of the Honda and died yrs ago... definitely not fresh air soon after that :eek:. Free spayed and vetted feral cats where added to the ranch 4 yrs ago. The cats were savage hunters. Soon after I couldn't find a mouse dropping or footprint and the car/equipment damage stopped. One cat has moved to the neighbors barn mostly.
I called and ordered 2 more cats from our local PAWS organization last week. 2 wet winters have increased the rodent and consequent snake population. Cats will take care of all critter problems for the cost of a little dry food in the barn. And it saves them from euthanasia.
Nothing makes me happier than seeing cat prints on my car and tractor hood. ;)

/ Mice are not nice #16  
I keep our RV in the big barn with all the equipment as well and interestingly, all the access points on the RV have screens on them to keep the 'rodents' out. Came that way from the factory. Mice have a thing for wiring today, I believe it's the vegetable based insulation they like to eat.

/ Mice are not nice #17  
I keep our RV in the big barn with all the equipment as well and interestingly, all the access points on the RV have screens on them to keep the 'rodents' out. Came that way from the factory. Mice have a thing for wiring today, I believe it's the vegetable based insulation they like to eat.
Somewhere around 2005 EPA ruled vehicles had to be made with more biodegradable. Wire harness jacket was changed from a petroleum base to vegetable base composite. And seat stuffing and headliners went to mostly organic material to expedite natural breakdown after their useful life. It was a win for the mice.

/ Mice are not nice #19  
Somewhere around 2005 EPA ruled vehicles had to be made with more biodegradable. Wire harness jacket was changed from a petroleum base to vegetable base composite. And seat stuffing and headliners went to mostly organic material to expedite natural breakdown after their useful life. It was a win for the mice.
I'm curious, do you have a link for that? I know that many, but not all auto makers shifted to soy based insulation when it became less expensive, but I never heard of an EPA rule for automotive wiring, so far. I know that around 2008 they released a life cycle analysis of the impact of PVC, and other chemicals in general wiring, not specifically cars, and I don't know of a rule that passed.

FWIW: Car Talk Helps Bust the Myth That Soy Is Why Rodents Are Eating Your Car’s Wires

All the best,

Peter

/ Mice are not nice #20  
no place for mice to get in, except for the dormers on the roof.
A little off topic but I had a small owl come down the chimney once. Was quite an ordeal especially since we had glass doors on the fireplace so it could not get out into the room nor was able to fly back up the chimney.

After much research, I closed off all room entrances and waited until night. Then opened a door to the outside, and placed a light outside to attract it. I hoped it would find its way out ... but no go. It did come out of the fireplace (including some ash) but ran behind the big screen TV. We could see it back there, but it would not come out. And although it was small, its talons were impressive. Trying to catch it was NOT an option. Did not want to tangle with those.

We wound up throwing a blanket over it and twisted it up in the blanket. The talons were sticking out and flexing-- and could have been quite hazardous if anyone got hear them. Fortunately no one did.

We took it outside, gently opened the towel, and it flew into the nearby oak tree.