Mice are not nice

/ Mice are not nice #21  
I'm curious, do you have a link for that? I know that many, but not all auto makers shifted to soy based insulation when it became less expensive, but I never heard of an EPA rule for automotive wiring, so far. I know that around 2008 they released a life cycle analysis of the impact of PVC, and other chemicals in general wiring, not specifically cars, and I don't know of a rule that passed.

FWIW: Car Talk Helps Bust the Myth That Soy Is Why Rodents Are Eating Your Car’s Wires

All the best,

Peter
I read this many years ago when I was searching for information about parked car rodent damage. At the time we were in a drought so little food and lots of mice, rats, rabbits. Anyway the explanation made sense to me as this problem really only showed up in out newer cars and trucks

/ Mice are not nice #22  
I shared this on the Kubota Forum, but I thought it would be beneficial to repost the picture here. This is from my Kubota ZD1211 mower. The engine would not turn over and I couldn't figure out why, since it ran perfectly when parked for the season.

For a while now, I've been concerned about the possibility of mice infiltrating the air filter of my 1845. It seems like the perfect haven for them, one they'd likely not resist. I've been planning to 3D print a cap to cover the opening when the tractor is stored during the winter months. Additionally, I'd print a ring to place over the steering wheel as a visual reminder to remove the cap before use. Although it might be challenging for a mouse to gnaw through the air filter, it wouldn't surprise me. Especially if they realized how much damage this could do to the engine.

I've experienced a mouse infestation in the area beneath the oil radiator before, and the damage was significant; the urine alone was enough to corrode and rust through the high-pressure fuel injection lines. Nowadays, I opt to leave the cover off during the winter. It seems almost every piece of equipment I own has suffered from mouse-related damage at some point. Despite my efforts, I've yet to find an effective method to deter them.
Mix in equal parts, flour, sugar and sodium bicarbonate. (Baking soda). Leave where the mice can get to it. Works for rats as well. They can't digest the sodium bicarb. It kills them. Traps are fun, but ineffective. It works, may be cruel, but it works. Also, your chickens and cats won't have a problem with it.

/ Mice are not nice #23  
I have had one of those rotary traps here for going on decades. Mouse tally = 0, no matter where I place it. If I put a Black Cat trap down where I had the rotary, mice. I guess the mice are different out here...

@marrt Sorry to here about your problem. "Welcome to the club! We have jackets..."

If it were me, I would go for screening. I did that after some enterprising mice filled our CAT 3126 air filter and intake housing full of acorns. Luckily, I was doing a pre ignition check, happened to bump the air intake, and a couple of acorns fell to the ground. My thoughts were along the lines of "WTH?!?". Even so, I could not believe how well packed the acorns were, close to four gallons worth. Thankfully, they stopped at the filter. I have had other episodes where the chewed through the filter and kept going which is far worse.

I just got done with cleaning out the cabin air intake on my pickup; the mice had moved in to the cowling below the windshield and absolutely stuffed it with nesting material that got wet/damp when I drove the truck in some rain. It literally took days to disassemble the engine side cowling, vacuum up material, then switch to an extra long under refrigerator vacuum, then wash it down, rinse it, blow it, and then clean the fan in the cabin, along with the AC and heater cores. For some reason, on this truck, three feet of the air intake below the windshield is integral to the body in this truck, and the only access is behind/through the windshield wiper mechanism. To get to the other side requires removing most of the dash. Not readily repairable compared to some vehicles that I have owned.

Did I mention that we were in between having barn cats? (Old age/covid) We never had any of these issues when we had cats.

My real fear with mice is wiring. It is so easy for them to nest on an engine and take a liking to a wiring harness that costs thousands just for the part.

All the best,

Peter
I have repaired a few rodent/squirrel damaged wiring harnesses over the years for customers and once on my wife's car. I don't replace them, just splice in good wire and heat shrink tubing to repair and seal the damaged part(s)

/ Mice are not nice #24  
Mix in equal parts, flour, sugar and sodium bicarbonate. (Baking soda). Leave where the mice can get to it. Works for rats as well. They can't digest the sodium bicarb. It kills them. Traps are fun, but ineffective. It works, may be cruel, but it works. Also, your chickens and cats won't have a problem with it.
My wife read about that and is giving it a try, not sure of the results yet.

/ Mice are not nice #25  
I think there is a lot of damaged done by squirrels that get blamed on mice.

/ Mice are not nice #26  
I have mice and chipmunks. I've tried most everything - up to and including a shotgun. Everything works for a while - then it quits working. Dryer sheets in the pickup passenger compartment - at least, they have a pleasant smell. Trapping - for every rodent trapped - there are two more - out in the bushes - waiting to "come on down". Trapping and poisons is not the answer to my situation.

The one thing that has worked now for over two years. Leave the hood open on your vehicles. Apparently - mice and chipmunks don't like the open spaces. Tractor, pickup, ATV & riding lawn mower.

I know these little @#$% are still around. I see them, every so often, racing across my lawns.

/ Mice are not nice #27  
A little off topic but I had a small owl come down the chimney once. Was quite an ordeal especially since we had glass doors on the fireplace so it could not get out into the room nor was able to fly back up the chimney.

After much research, I closed off all room entrances and waited until night. Then opened a door to the outside, and placed a light outside to attract it. I hoped it would find its way out ... but no go. It did come out of the fireplace (including some ash) but ran behind the big screen TV. We could see it back there, but it would not come out. And although it was small, its talons were impressive. Trying to catch it was NOT an option. Did not want to tangle with those.

We wound up throwing a blanket over it and twisted it up in the blanket. The talons were sticking out and flexing-- and could have been quite hazardous if anyone got hear them. Fortunately no one did.

We took it outside, gently opened the towel, and it flew into the nearby oak tree.

After that I would have put a screen over the top of the chimney

/ Mice are not nice #28  
2021_08_27_15.41.56.jpg

/ Mice are not nice #29  
My wife read about that and is giving it a try, not sure of the results yet.
The results may be the mouse dies in your car or in a wall and it'll stink for a couple weeks.

I do like that it won't an animal that eats the dead mouse, though.

We get a couple mice in our basement very spring and fall.

The go into the storage rooms in the basement where the cats aren't allowed (go figure).

So, I've found this trap to be very effective. A little peanut butter and SNAP that's that.

IMG_3748.jpeg

/ Mice are not nice #30  
Oosik, we left the hoods up on our cars/trucks for years. It helped some but did not discourage the buggers completely. You can screw up their scent functions with strong smells like dryer sheets and eucalyptus oil. I bought a 16 oz bottle of Eucalyptus oil and drilled a small hole in the cap... then drizzle it over the engine bay