Mig welder versus stick welder

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #11  
I don't think your compareing the same things here. The stick welder for that price will weld anything you have. Takes some practice and prep time to get a nice weld, but after you learn how, it's not too bad.

A mig welder for the same price as a stick one will be much lighter duty. Not able to penetrate heavier steel, which is what you want if your fixing something that's broke.

I have an AC/DC arc welder. The DC setting allows for smoother welds, less splatter and sticking.

If you only buy one welder, the stick is the most economical and in my opinion, the most practical for hobbiest and do it yourself repairs.

Eddie

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #12  
I have both mig and stick ac/dc. The MM175 hardly see's use. I usually can't get anything into the shop to sheild wind, most of the stuff has odd angles and stuff in the way og the gun, or is too darn thick for me to feel comfortable about getting base hot enough..
I personally think mig is the very worst technique to learn on., unless guided by a professional. Mig is famous for cold start, and deposit welds where the puddle is pretty, but mostly contains melted wire. A lot of attention has to be paid to swirl, which should be learned with O/A.
Crawl before you walk.

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #13  
Load up that MM175 with some flux-core wire and pop that nozzle off. Then you will have a welder that burns through rust, gets into tight spots and will weld outside in a hurricane. A lot easier to use than stick in most cases. Nice to have a stick machine also for special applications though.

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #14  
Had a chance to use the bent rod trick today and remembered this thread.Try getting a nozzle three inches deep in a half inch wide area blocked by brackets!!
Also you can't weld two nozzles together to reach WAY over there!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
With the longer leads,I can weld a weathervane on the roof...try that with a MIG! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #15  
Yep, you are right bobodu. If I ever get a job that requires a bent rod to reach or need to weld on my barn roof I will knock the dust off my stick welder. In the meantime I will just keep on using my wire welder.

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I ever get a job that requires a bent rod to reach or need to weld on my barn roof I will knock the dust off my stick welder. In the meantime I will just keep on using my wire welder. )</font>

bitternut,

<Visions of bobudu with 9 spliced rods, reaching for the sky> /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If you own both MIG and stick, you may end up using them 50/50 or so.

If you own only a stick welder, you can do any welding chore.

If you own only a MIG, you will eventually need a stick welder to do something the wire welder can't do.

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #17  
Bitternuts OK in my book...He's got a stick.
Kinda like having a .22 for popping at chucks and bunnies and squirrels,yet keeping a .44 mag in the closet for the bears.
If I had only one..I'd choose the .44.I rather eat a torn up bunny than have a bear eat a torn up ME!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you own only a MIG, you will eventually need a stick welder to do something the wire welder can't do. )</font>

Tsk, tsk. Such a broad statement. I haven't found anything yet. For the average hobbyist/farmer/rancher I don't think that would be true.

In the last 10 years or so I haven't even turned on my stick welder. I routinely build tractor equipment and other projects with up to 1/2" plate and my mig handles it all even with multiple passes but for that thickness you would have to do the same with stick too. At least with mig I don't have to worry about rods going bad because of humidity, cleaning slag, and other such stuff.

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #19  
This has probably been beat to death at this point.....

But I would just say that it depends on what you want to do:

If you are talking about the thin sheet metal of auto body repair then a MIG is much much easier to use.

If you are talking about thick metal in farm implements then you will need a very powerful MIG (ie expensive mig) or a stick welder.

I have a 175 amp MIG which is perfect for the thin metal, but I need a stick for the thick stuff. The ideal would be an egine driven stick/generator combined with the 175 or 180 amp MIG. Then you have the ideal tool for any task and can take it to any remote location.
Too bad money does not grow on trees... since those engine driven units are pricey.
And that is one more carb to worry about come winter time.

Fred

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #20  
Phred,

I agree. A portable welder has been on my wish list for 3 years! Sams Club has a small Lincoln (I think 130 amps) for ~$1100. I would hate to see the price on a 175 amp unit!