Mig welder versus stick welder

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #21  
Both types have their place in the shop, but I prefer the stick for maint work due to the varity of different rods that can bought. I never had any luck welding cast with a mig. Nichol stick rod always worked the best for me on cast.

/ Mig welder versus stick welder
Thank you for all your help. But now I need to decide whether it is worth it to get an AC/DC stick welder or just an AC. Any thoughts?

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #23  
DC is often the better tool for the job, so if you can find a good deal on the AC/DC that would be perfect.

Else, if you can pick up a good old AC dirt cheap you can't go wrong. Just be sure to sock away the savings for you're next toy [pronounced: tool], be that an AC/DC, a small mig to complement the stick, or a big mig as your "primary" machine, then I think you'll be happy with your choice. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #24  
AC/DC. I bought a Hobart Stickmate LX 225 and am very pleased with it.

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #25  
I own the AC 225 buzz box. AC welding is great for flat work but the puddle runs too much for off angle stuff. Maybe it is operator error, but I have a hard time making a pretty weld with good penetration unless it is flat or cloase to flat.

Also power requirements. I can throw 225 amps at thick tractor stuff in the field with my buzzbox powered by a costco 5500 watt continuous rated generator. That's right, max output with a cheap Coleman contractor's generator. DC takes more input power for the same output amperage.

I would much rather have the versatility of an ac/dc welder. MIG is great for in the shop, makes pretty welds and is as easy as a hot glue gun.

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #27  
Its pretty hard to go wrong with a DC unit. Once you have learn to weld really good with a DC then you can start learning what reversing polarity with further do fo you.

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #28  
DeerLope; The only thing I've done with my Lincoln Idealarc 250 is REP. One of these days for grins, I might try AC just to see how big a mess I can make! With what I weld, REP seems to be the best way.

Mig, I'd like to have one, especially a machine like a Miller 304XMT. Just might have to sell the Lincoln then. But stick is my preferred method for heavy duty welding. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #29  
I have been retired about 3 years now but when I worked I was a maintenance welder, you know old bent, dirty stuff. I had a Linclon 250 Idealarc with a high freq converter for ss and alu. At home now I just have an AC buzz box and I use MG500 rod which is and excellent for flat work and not too bad for vertical and it is real tricky to do overhead but it can be done ,just don't be in a hurry.

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #30  
Just my $0.02:

When I used to work in the oilfield with a company that built their own trailers; ALL the welding was with stick. Some fender/toolbox material as thin as 12ga and thicknesses up to 1" steel all accomplished with stick. Wide range of positions and material.
I used to have a Lincoln AC225 (until it was stolen) that I bought used and it served me well. Sorry, I don't do auto body work ( I leave that up to the serious pros). Eventually when I replace my welder, it may be another stick, first, then a MIG.