Might plant white clover.

/ Might plant white clover.
I had that stuff growing in my yard (5 ac) in Carlisle Pa and absoultely nothing would kill it.

That's what I'm looking for then!:D Of course, I haven't met many plants that I couldn't kill......when I was trying to make it to grow.:eek:

/ Might plant white clover. #12  
It will slowly choke out everything else... good for weeds, bad for desirable grasses. The bee thing is cool if you are not going to walk around barefoot ;)

/ Might plant white clover. #13  
It will slowly choke out everything else... good for weeds, bad for desirable grasses. The bee thing is cool if you are not going to walk around barefoot ;)

I am not a "lawn" person. Grass is just green stuff to keep us from walking on mud when the ground is wet. And boy is the ground wet lately. :D I planted some grass, maybe Rebel IV/V or some such. It looks good but its thick in some places but it does not get too high if I let it go. In other places there are weeds that can get 3-4 feet tall.

I mow the "lawn" with a DR Brush mower so I don't give a rats fanny how high it gets except it does slow the mower down a bit. Have to go to 2nd gear. :eek::D

So this clover is hard go kiil... Sounds like N80's soil is like mine. Rock with clay or clay with rock. The clover chokes out both "grass" and weeds. Low growing. Attract honey bees. Hmmm. So far I'm seeing nothing but positives with clover.

Is there some reason I SHOULD not plant this instead of expensive grass? :D How expensive is the seed?

Later,
Dan

/ Might plant white clover. #14  
:D How expensive is the seed? Later, Dan

You can get an idea at Seedland.com. Their website is a little disjointed, but you can get an idea. It is important for clover seed to be innoculated with the bacteria that lives symbiotically in the roots. This bacteria lets the clover fix nitrogen gas in the air into soluble nitrates the roots can take up into the plant.

Last edited:
   / Might plant white clover. #15  
You can get an idea at Seedland.com. ...

Thanks Doc. Very informative.

The only problem I have after reading the site is I now have a mind worm running over and over in my head,

"Crimson and Clover over and over,
Crimson and Clover over and over"

:eek::D:D:D

Expensive but cheaper than grass seed. I'll check my farm supplier and see what Dallas has to sell. But it looks like it should be planted in the fall.

"Crimson and Clover over and over,
Crimson and Clover over and over"

Thanks,
Dan

Pennington sells Durana. They say it can be planted late winter (frost helps it to make good soil contact), early spring and fall. It cannot be planted when it is dry. Both Durana and Patriot are pre inoculated.

Thanks Doc. Very informative.

The only problem I have after reading the site is I now have a mind worm running over and over in my head,

Which one? Tommy James and the Shondels or Joan Jett?

/ Might plant white clover. #18  
Pennington sells Durana. They say it can be planted late winter (frost helps it to make good soil contact), early spring and fall. It cannot be planted when it is dry. Both Durana and Patriot are pre inoculated.

One blurb I saw on the link said fall. Which I thought was a bit strange. But with my To Do list it might be the Fall of 2009 before I can try the clover. :D

Later,
Dan

/ Might plant white clover. #20  
One thing to keep in mind: when I was an Ag student at Louisiana Tech, one of our professors was doing some research on bloating. One of his experiments included white Dutch clover vs red clover. We would collect a bushel basket of each, run it through a grinder and squeeze out the juice, Then we would force feed the juice via worming syringe into 2 steers and 2 wethers (castrated sheep). We did the red clover first and noticed no ill effects whatsoever. Four hours later, we did the same thing with the white Dutch clover. By the time we injected the 4th animal, the first one was bloated so bad, we couldn't get a rubber hose down it's throat to stop the bloat. In short, all 4 died within 20 minutes. The worst part was that us 2 students and the prof had to butcher all 4 critters right then. To this day, I can't look at white Dutch clover without cringing.