Millermatic 211, 212 or 252

/ Millermatic 211, 212 or 252 #52  
Guys, don't forget about Hobart, Millers sister company,...both owned by Illinois Tool Works. Lots more technology sharing between the two brands than most realize. If you're not dead set on the nice autoset feature that miller has be sure to shop around and give Hobart a look. I recently bought the ironman 230 with spool gun delivered to my door for $1850,...not bad for a 230 amp mig welder. I spent the savings I would have spent on a 212 or 252 with same setup on some accessories and supplies. Can't knock miller, that's for sure. Good thread!

/ Millermatic 211, 212 or 252
Guys, don't forget about Hobart, Millers sister company,...both owned by Illinois Tool Works. Lots more technology sharing between the two brands than most realize. If you're not dead set on the nice autoset feature that miller has be sure to shop around and give Hobart a look. I recently bought the ironman 230 with spool gun delivered to my door for $1850,...not bad for a 230 amp mig welder. I spent the savings I would have spent on a 212 or 252 with same setup on some accessories and supplies. Can't knock miller, that's for sure. Good thread!

The main reason I stayed away from Hobart and the 230 is the "tapped" heat settings.

My SP170-T had 5 settings and I was always trying to compensate with wire speed.

I realize the Ironman has 12 settings which may reduce this effect but I wanted to spend the $$ once...

This effect is magnified on aluminum and thinner steel.

With fully adjustable voltage and wire speed I essentially have "infinite" settings within the machines operating range.

In the running was the Power Mig 256 from Lincoln.

Other premium features that the less expensive machines lack are the following;

Push pull capability for production aluminum work
Several timers ie; pre/post flow, stitch etc etc

I hope you enjoy your Ironman as I am sure it is a fine machine for the price point.

Thank you for contributing to this thread as not everyone has the same needs either now or for the future

/ Millermatic 211, 212 or 252 #54  
I've seen tapped Mig machines before, but never used one. In the farthermost reach of my imagination I can't believe I would put up with that for more than 30-seconds! I don't like people telling me what to do, much less a welding machine. :laughing:

/ Millermatic 211, 212 or 252 #55  
If you're not dead set on the nice autoset feature that miller has be sure to shop around and give Hobart a look.

252 doesn't have Autoset. It has nice digital read outs so you can see what your settings actually are. Main reason I sold my 212 and moved up.

/ Millermatic 211, 212 or 252 #56  
   / Millermatic 211, 212 or 252 #57  
If you try out the Auto Set you will find that it's not actually Auto Set. It still requires tweaking to get the best bead. Much like doing it yourself. Sells welders though..

/ Millermatic 211, 212 or 252
I've seen tapped Mig machines before, but never used one. In the farthermost reach of my imagination I can't believe I would put up with that for more than 30-seconds! I don't like people telling me what to do, much less a welding machine. :laughing:

Yup me either but I am in a closed union environment where it will be my turn someday soon to tell people what to do so...I put up with it for now!

The tapped welder on the other hand went out the door pretty quick

/ Millermatic 211, 212 or 252 #59  
miller 252. I work for a welding supply company in central N.Y.. we sell a lot of 180 and 252. The 252 is just a better welder. save a few extra $ and go for it. A old timer told me once. Buy a big welder because you can always turn it down. The 252 will be the last welder you will need to buy!!!!!
I have the 252 and am very pleased with it.What the old timer said is true in My opinion.Good luck with Your purchase.

O posted before I seen You got the 252.Congratulatios on Your purchase and I'm sure Your gonna really like the way this machine welds.

Last edited:
   / Millermatic 211, 212 or 252 #60  
miller 252. I work for a welding supply company in central N.Y.. we sell a lot of 180 and 252. The 252 is just a better welder. save a few extra $ and go for it. A old timer told me once. Buy a big welder because you can always turn it down. The 252 will be the last welder you will need to buy!!!!!

Would that be Haun welding supply by any chance? Ive been to there Endicott place a few times. Nice people there. I know they have a bunch of locations around central NY.