mini beep

/ mini beep #11  
Here's their "kits" page Struck-Kit - Kits it shows a little of their parts. It looks like they have the wrong picture there for the reverse, cause it's the same as the forward one. Otherwise, they are pretty simple pieces of equipment, it seems.

Someone had a good idea. What has held me back on mine, is I'd really prefer to make it 4WD but not 100% sure how to do it. I do know a little about 4WD systems, and know that ideally they should be the same gear ratio, but I am more of a limited engagement use, like when I get stuck or think I might get stuck. If there's slippage in the wheels, the ratios are not as critical.

I am thinking of using my Murray 20hp lawn tractor rear drive, it has 5 foward speeds and reverse.

On the 4WD, what I have in mind is some sort of belt drive that runs from the rear axle to a drive shaft, via a belt and two pulleys, running front to back, that in turn, drives another belt connected to the front axle. This belt would be engaged like a riding mower engages the blades, and use some sort of lever, or even if I get exotic, an electric PTO type of thing. Or I even could leave the belts tight, and have the drive shaft a 2 piece unit, with a clutch that could be engaged on the fly.

This arrangement would eliminate the need to a differential in the front. All I would have to build is the steering yoke system at the wheels. Although somewhat complex I do not think they are insurmountable.

On their web site, they say they use a 200cc engine. I assume that's about and 8hp or so, yes or no? Seems to do a lot with that small of engine.

/ mini beep #12  
Here is a MS Word simple drawing of the drive system..It's nowhere near to scale or perspective, but hope you'll get the idea.

4wddrive.jpg

Remember, this would drive off the rear AXLE itself, not the input shaft to the differential. It would only turn at wheel speed, so it would be a fairly slow turning arrangement. Balancing would not be as critical that way.

/ mini beep #13  
Here's their "kits" page Struck-Kit - Kits it shows a little of their parts. It looks like they have the wrong picture there for the reverse, cause it's the same as the forward one. Otherwise, they are pretty simple pieces of equipment, it seems.

Someone had a good idea. What has held me back on mine, is I'd really prefer to make it 4WD but not 100% sure how to do it. I do know a little about 4WD systems, and know that ideally they should be the same gear ratio, but I am more of a limited engagement use, like when I get stuck or think I might get stuck. If there's slippage in the wheels, the ratios are not as critical.

I am thinking of using my Murray 20hp lawn tractor rear drive, it has 5 foward speeds and reverse.

On the 4WD, what I have in mind is some sort of belt drive that runs from the rear axle to a drive shaft, via a belt and two pulleys, running front to back, that in turn, drives another belt connected to the front axle. This belt would be engaged like a riding mower engages the blades, and use some sort of lever, or even if I get exotic, an electric PTO type of thing. Or I even could leave the belts tight, and have the drive shaft a 2 piece unit, with a clutch that could be engaged on the fly.

This arrangement would eliminate the need to a differential in the front. All I would have to build is the steering yoke system at the wheels. Although somewhat complex I do not think they are insurmountable.

On their web site, they say they use a 200cc engine. I assume that's about and 8hp or so, yes or no? Seems to do a lot with that small of engine.

Maybe you could use some of the elements that Struck uses in the Mini Beep..

MiniBeep.jpg

/ mini beep
Handirifle; Is it possible for you to find an old broke 4wd drive atv ? You might be able to work something out with the drive system of it? If I'm not mistaken a 200cc engine would be somewhere in the 5.5 - 6 hp range{??}

/ mini beep #15  
Mace
That particular drive system is for an articulating vehicle and I have no desire for that.

20 20
That would be a good idea, if I could locate one. Worth keeping an eye out for. The only issue, for me, is their setup is like a motorcycle, with the gearbox as part of the engine.

The best way for that is to rebuild that engine or find a motorcycle, but not sure where the reverse part comes to play. I have to have reverse.

/ mini beep #16  
Well the more I think about the "broken quad" idea, the less I like it. Too narrow for my needs.

/ mini beep #17  
I still have and use a Struck Big Job tractor I bought new in 1977, been a good tractor but has a newer motor and new mower deck. They sold a mini beep with a metal body when I bought my tractor.