Mini Excavator ,or Small Backhoe

/ Mini Excavator ,or Small Backhoe #21  
A mini and tracked skid steer would be the best option if you have enough money. If you’re working with limited funds the versatility of a backhoe is hard to beat. Comparing the loader on a backhoe to a compact tractor is like comparing a wheel barrow to a dump truck.

/ Mini Excavator ,or Small Backhoe #22  
I have a Kioti CK28 HST with a FEL which is the most useful tool I have but I love my JCB 8025 ZTS (zero turn) mini excavator. I didn't consider a backhoe but when I think about it now I believe it would be too much of an encumbrance and maneuvering would be difficult in the tight spaces the JCB can operate in. I have woodland which has not been managed and I am gradually clearing parts of it and creating tracks through years of dense brush and trees. I had a JCB 8014 before which was good but didn't have the power of the 8025. With this machine I can push trees over, claw or dig them out and drag them to a space where we can take the firewood and clear away the remaining debris. It beats felling and trying to extract with the Kioti (even though Kens Bolton Hooks and chains are a great help). This 2.6 ton machine can operate a 50mm bucket with two thumbs (which itself weighs 150Kg) so I can get hold of and move large rocks of which we have plenty down here in this part of Provence. I don't think a backhoe would have the same power, certainly not on my particular Kioti.
So I would say what I see others have said, if you are able to have a tractor and FEL and a mini excavator then that's the way to go. For the excavator - think about the size/power you can manage like I found comparing the abilities of the 8014 versus the 8025. Also the "zero turn" feature - as long as the tracks fit in a space then there is no overhang to collide with whatever it is you are close to.

/ Mini Excavator ,or Small Backhoe
All good advise. I'm still looking. Guy still has a Terex TC35 970 hrs for 23,900. I may be able to talk him down some. I don't think it has QA bucket but not sure I really would need ,or have to have that feature here on the farm.

I sure have considered a possible BH attachment for my MX5100, just so I wouldn't have another piece of equipment to maintain. I already have too many things with an engine although the mini ex would be handy to have around.

My wife keeps saying why not just rent one when you need it, because you won't be using it all the time. I said I don't use my tractor all the time but it's handy to have it here when I need it instead of renting when I need a tractor. I don't need my ram diesel every day but it's here when I need it.

I just need to make up my mind and do something. Even if it's wrong ! LOL

/ Mini Excavator ,or Small Backhoe #24  
I know nothing about Terex. Maybe they are good maybe they are bad. They are definitely not as main stream as other brands though. Do you have a good dealer in your area? To me that is key on any type of equipment.

There is most likely a dealer about 35 miles from me. I have seen a lot of their equipment in the coal mines. Large dump trucks and large excavators. Terex uses a Mitsubishi engine......Terex History - Terex Corporation
From what I understand, Bobcat is contracted out to kubota

/ Mini Excavator ,or Small Backhoe #26  
$ 23,900?
My KH90 with a under 1000 hr motor, ready to go to work, was just $7500.00.
When I was looking, I found a number of mini excavators for app $10,000 or less.
At the same time, a backhoe at that price, needed all kinds of work just to get it home.

/ Mini Excavator ,or Small Backhoe #27  
Like Code54 said, a MX and a mini ex make a good combo. I use the mini ex to rip up the stumps and the MX can carry them away.

u7sGany.jpg

bDCOvvU.jpg

$ 23,900?
When I was looking, I found a number of mini excavators for app $10,000 or less.
At the same time, a backhoe at that price, needed all kinds of work just to get it home.

Well, I can't find a 30-35 hp machine around here for less without having 3000 or more hrs. Would love to find a $7500.00 machine within 100 miles of me

/ Mini Excavator ,or Small Backhoe #29  
$ 23,900?

A $10k excavator around here is a basket case. 7500 is a parts machine. I think you got lucky or bought 10+ years ago.

/ Mini Excavator ,or Small Backhoe #30  
In my honest opinion backhoes are some what of a outdated piece of equipment. Excavators can work circles around them. If you don't have a tractor with a front end load then you might consider a backhoe just for having all ur bases covered. But if you already of a tractor with FEL then an excavator is the way to go.

I recently purchased an older TLB. I have $8000 in it. It'll dig 19ft deep, 2ft bucket, 4n1 front bucket that has a capacity of 3Klbs.

How much would an Excavator cost that will dig 19ft deep???

Mini's are great. Extremely expensive for their capacity. As PILOON said above, if $$ are no object go for it.