Mini Excavator - What Size and Make

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #11  
I’ve got a Bobcat E42 with an extendable arm, which is a really nice option. Sounds like I’m doing much the same work you do...I’ve got about 380 acres I’m working on. Personally, I wouldn’t want anything smaller than mine. When you’re doing big property work, it’s really easy to be undersize.

Someone mentioned buying the biggest you can easily move...valid point! Mine, with trailer is about at that thresh hold. Next step would be getting my CDL...nothing I want to do as a non-professional.

I just finished my first season with mine, and so far, pretty happy with it.

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #12  
I’ve got a Bobcat E42 with an extendable arm, which is a really nice option. Sounds like I’m doing much the same work you do...I’ve got about 380 acres I’m working on. Personally, I wouldn’t want anything smaller than mine. When you’re doing big property work, it’s really easy to be undersize.

Someone mentioned buying the biggest you can easily move...valid point! Mine, with trailer is about at that thresh hold. Next step would be getting my CDL...nothing I want to do as a non-professional.

I just finished my first season with mine, and so far, pretty happy with it.

Can you move yours on a trailer without a CDL ? .... I thought towing any trailer in excess of 10k needed a cdl

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #13  
I’m going by this:

“Combination Vehicles - Towing a trailer or other vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more when the gross combination weight rating (GCWR)** is 26,001 pounds or more.”

My F250 has a GVRW of 10,000# and is rated for 14,000 conventional towing and 16,800 5th wheel. I read that to mean I can tow up to a 16,001# trailer without a CDL. I’m a hobbiest, not commercial or for hire. I can’t handle my mini on my existing equipment trailer but plan to upgrade next season. My dealer salesman delivers E42’s all the time with a F250 and 14,000 GVRW trailer.

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #14  
I am looking to buy a used Mini Excavator for my own personal use for my property. I have 160+ acres and like to get one to level out some of my existing trails, clear some areas that have some smaller trees and remove stumps, grade out trails and make new ones and general clean up property. Property has a lot of stones and rock. Also to demo a few sheds and grade out areas of property. I only have a small John Deere 790 with brush hog, backhoe attachment and box cutter.
Need to get a used Mini Excavator now with a enclosed cab and blade and Thumb. Is it better to get blade that can angle? What is the best weight and HP size to get?
Any input is appreciated. Manufacturer? Models?

I bought mine for the exact same reasons you have put forth. A Kubota KX-71. Didn't want a cab, and this fit my budget and needs perfectly. Decided to go new, 38K out the door, hydraulic thumb, quick attach, ripper tooth, 24" bucket, 36" grading bucket, and standard 2 way blade. I Love It... Looked hard at the KX-91, but couldn't justify the extra 15K with 6 way bucket. I have put in maybe, 2 miles of trails, dug up countless stumps, and graded off a couple of areas. Mine sips diesel at full throttle, and is incredibly quiet at that. Also, didn't need the zero clearance, so that saved some money. My game plan is to keep it a few years, finish all my projects, and sell with probably less than 300 hours on it. Figure I can't go wrong...

View attachment 530559

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #15  
I also bought a Kubota a month after buying our property. The property was neglected for 30 years so it is/was a mess. My mini is a 6 ton machine and while a little small for stumps, a guy can do a lot of work with one this size. I have 400hrs on the clock and can't imagine life without it.

IMG_0058.JPG

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #16  
check your state laws, but generally cdl requirements only kick in when your getting paid to move the equipment, look at uhaul people are renting huge trucks with 0 cdl's

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #17  
I bought mine for the exact same reasons you have put forth. A Kubota KX-71. Didn't want a cab, and this fit my budget and needs perfectly. Decided to go new, 38K out the door, hydraulic thumb, quick attach, ripper tooth, 24" bucket, 36" grading bucket, and standard 2 way blade. I Love It... Looked hard at the KX-91, but couldn't justify the extra 15K with 6 way bucket. I have put in maybe, 2 miles of trails, dug up countless stumps, and graded off a couple of areas. Mine sips diesel at full throttle, and is incredibly quiet at that. Also, didn't need the zero clearance, so that saved some money. My game plan is to keep it a few years, finish all my projects, and sell with probably less than 300 hours on it. Figure I can't go wrong...

View attachment 530559

When I bought ours I also thought I would sell it afterwards - now I don't use it a lot but cant imagine not having it around - they are so handy!

I will say that with the smaller machines we dig out stumps, not pull out stumps.... Still works but much slower.

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #18  
When I bought ours I also thought I would sell it afterwards - now I don't use it a lot but cant imagine not having it around - they are so handy!

Likewise, That is the real "Problem" with these things.

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #19  
I have several hundred acres to work on for my own place and family ranches and decided on a Bobcat E50 with thumb and cab. I am so glad I bought this machine. I can do things that honestly, I didn't think I'd be able to do with a mini. I had owned a 335 which was not a weak machine but the E50, about 12k lbs set up the way I have it with angle blade and options, is a much stronger machine and I use it often for knocking over large, dead live oaks. I live in the Texas Hill Country and we have mostly rock and hard packed caliche. My tracks take a beating but I can grade and dig using a 36" rock bucket and it doesn't groan or tip. The only problem I have with this machine is even with the blade down and buried, it'll often pull me to a stump or hole that I'm digging in. I picked up an over 750 lb bucket/tilt tatch combo using the thumb at full reach and spun around with no issues. Up close, I easily carried my 2700 lb mulcher and placed it where I wanted to using a chain.
It does max out my trailer for hauling but it's got an all-day comfy cab and the A/C freezes me out in the Texas summer. The only thing I don't like is the plastic covers and it could use a little more leg room and I wish it had a 6 way blade like the Kubota.
I was going to get a KX-80 but decided on the E50 because I could haul it with my own equipment.

I am looking to buy a used Mini Excavator for my own personal use for my property. I have 160+ acres and like to get one to level out some of my existing trails, clear some areas that have some smaller trees and remove stumps, grade out trails and make new ones and general clean up property. Property has a lot of stones and rock. Also to demo a few sheds and grade out areas of property. I only have a small John Deere 790 with brush hog, backhoe attachment and box cutter.
Need to get a used Mini Excavator now with a enclosed cab and blade and Thumb. Is it better to get blade that can angle? What is the best weight and HP size to get?
Any input is appreciated. Manufacturer? Models?

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #20  
I have several hundred acres to work on for my own place and family ranches and decided on a Bobcat E50 with thumb and cab. I am so glad I bought this machine. I can do things that honestly, I didn't think I'd be able to do with a mini. I had owned a 335 which was not a weak machine but the E50, about 12k lbs set up the way I have it with angle blade and options, is a much stronger machine and I use it often for knocking over large, dead live oaks. I live in the Texas Hill Country and we have mostly rock and hard packed caliche. My tracks take a beating but I can grade and dig using a 36" rock bucket and it doesn't groan or tip. The only problem I have with this machine is even with the blade down and buried, it'll often pull me to a stump or hole that I'm digging in. I picked up an over 750 lb bucket/tilt tatch combo using the thumb at full reach and spun around with no issues. Up close, I easily carried my 2700 lb mulcher and placed it where I wanted to using a chain.
It does max out my trailer for hauling but it's got an all-day comfy cab and the A/C freezes me out in the Texas summer. The only thing I don't like is the plastic covers and it could use a little more leg room and I wish it had a 6 way blade like the Kubota.
I was going to get a KX-80 but decided on the E50 because I could haul it with my own equipment.

A friend with a contracting business in Long Island loves his E50, tows with dually Cummins and makes a fine living.