Mini Excavator - What Size and Make

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #21  
My vote is the biggest you can move. If that's not a valid concern big iron is cheaper.

This is the only intelligent response I've read on this post. Unless you plan to start a contracting service with a mini-ex, buy a big hoe and get the job done quickly and efficiently. Dollar for dollar on fuel costs, you will save money with a larger machine. Clearing work is best performed by large machines that can handle the stresses better and handle larger loads with every pass. Mini machines were designed for utility work and light landscaping, not for handling trees and stumps in excess of 6".

While my PC200 is suitable for most jobs, if I was to be doing slash and burn clearing for a living, I would consider nothing less than a 270 or 300 class machine. When I got out of dirt work, I sold off my JD550G and used that same money to purchase a Liebherr PR751 (approx D8.5 size) knowing that I would not be moving it much and so that I could get so much more done on my property when projects came about. Sure, the 751 burns 20 gallons per hour but it pushes over 14 yards in a pass and gets a lot of dirt moved fast. How many weeks would it take a mini-ex to move in what that machine moves in a hard working hour?

Regarding mobilization: It's easier for me to write a check to have it moved than deal with the hassles of my own lowboy anymore. I contract out all of my large moves any more. Fewer hassles and more efficient for my business at the end of the day.

Big iron, once on the used market, usually sells for way less that the smaller stuff. There are some very good bargains to be had for farm use. You won't wear out a big machine as fast as you will a small machine if you are doing clearing work, unless you stick to bushes and tiny trees.

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #22  
Wow - "only intelligent response"..... Im sure a lot of people appreciate your cavalier attitude.

The OP mentioned building trails, thus others were commenting on that. How do you move big iron in areas with trees 6' apart and not destroy everything? Little iron sometimes fits the build better, plus, it sure is a lot cheaper and easier for a lot of people to repair in a farm or home shop.....

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #23  
Wow - "only intelligent response"..... Im sure a lot of people appreciate your cavalier attitude.

The OP mentioned building trails, thus others were commenting on that. How do you move big iron in areas with trees 6' apart and not destroy everything? Little iron sometimes fits the build better, plus, it sure is a lot cheaper and easier for a lot of people to repair in a farm or home shop.....

Ya but it's TBN......you are required to buy way bigger than you will ever need. It's a requirement of membership. Hahahahahaha.

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #24  

Yea, I agree!
His response was quite arrogant!

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #25  
Ya but it's TBN......you are required to buy way bigger than you will ever need. It's a requirement of membership. Hahahahahaha.

LOL - that made me laugh!

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #26  
I've had a Kubota 121 for several years and love it. Our use sounds similar to yours - stumps, tree removal, clearing, trails and trail maintenance, road side maintenance, etc. I put more hours on it each year than the tractor. This past year I seriously considered a KX-080 which is a lot bigger machine. It's not that the 121 can't do jobs, but I figured the 080 could do them faster, have better reach (I use it with a mower head quite a bit), etc. I ended up keeping the 121. As others have said, the 121 can be moved with a trailer and my truck, and although I have only taken it on one road trip, it's nice to have the option. The other issue with the 080 is maneuverability in the woods, and that's a large part of where I use it. I can get into some pretty tight spaces with 121, and figured I'd have to clear much bigger swaths to make trails with the 080.

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #27  

Butt holes and opinions: everyone else's stinks but your own.

Sorry if I offended any "Snowflake" feelings by stating my opinion. This is a forum and the OP was asking for opinions and advice on his situation. I've gotten to be a miserable old fart with a fair amount of experience. I look at things in a business attitude because I do this stuff for a living, not a hobby. I've managed to be successful at it for over 23 years, stay in the black and accumulate more working inventory than most other 1 man shows could ever think about.

I stand by my opinions whether you like them or not. I'm sure lots of guys want the little bity excavators because they can move them easy and they think that they are easier/cheaper to maintain. Not from my experience when it come to repairs/maintenance. I personally won't own anything less than 20k lbs if I ever went that small. I'll rent small before I own it. Those things wear out way too fast for my consideration.

I guess that I missed the part about the trails. I would still put in the largest piece that I could logically fit and get the job done as fast as possible. I've built well over 15 miles of trails over the past few years for several different clients. These were trails that included clearing, water crossing prep and layment of 4" of stone materials trucked into the woods with a customized spreader system. I never built anything under 8' width as efficiency drops as you try to save more trees.

If you don't like my opinions, don't use them. I was nice enough to post them to help out the OP and maybe spread some knowledge for those looking for answers. What works well for me may not be your particular cup of tea. At the end of the day, I know I will make or save money if I put my ideas to work for me. I did not get to where I am today without using my education to analyze a job with logic and efficiency as primary considerations. I love what I do and I would do it for free if everything else in life was free, but it ain't. I've figured out how to stay in the black and make a good living at what I do while enjoying life - livin' my own dream and having fun at it every day that I work. :D

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #28  

Sorry if I offended any "Snowflake" feelings by stating my opinion. This is a forum and the OP was asking for opinions and advice on his situation. I've gotten to be a miserable old fart with a fair amount of experience. I look at things in a business attitude because I do this stuff for a living, not a hobby. I've managed to be successful at it for over 23 years, stay in the black and accumulate more working inventory than most other 1 man shows could ever think about.

I stand by my opinions whether you like them or not. I'm sure lots of guys want the little bity excavators because they can move them easy and they think that they are easier/cheaper to maintain. Not from my experience when it come to repairs/maintenance. I personally won't own anything less than 20k lbs if I ever went that small. I'll rent small before I own it. Those things wear out way too fast for my consideration.

I guess that I missed the part about the trails. I would still put in the largest piece that I could logically fit and get the job done as fast as possible. I've built well over 15 miles of trails over the past few years for several different clients. These were trails that included clearing, water crossing prep and layment of 4" of stone materials trucked into the woods with a customized spreader system. I never built anything under 8' width as efficiency drops as you try to save more trees.

If you don't like my opinions, don't use them. I was nice enough to post them to help out the OP and maybe spread some knowledge for those looking for answers. What works well for me may not be your particular cup of tea. At the end of the day, I know I will make or save money if I put my ideas to work for me. I did not get to where I am today without using my education to analyze a job with logic and efficiency as primary considerations. I love what I do and I would do it for free if everything else in life was free, but it ain't. I've figured out how to stay in the black and make a good living at what I do while enjoying life - livin' my own dream and having fun at it every day that I work. :D

I do agree with the miserable old fart part....
:thumbsup:

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #29  

If you read the original question it was very clearly stated he wanted something for his personal property, not for a business, nor business uses. If he said I want to start an excavation business and wanted to move mountains as fast as possible the answer would be far different. I (and others) are presuming that he may want to keep his costs reasonable. Mini's are less expensive for new machines and a heck of a lot easier to deal with around the house.

As for building 8' trails - I have done the same, but we normally call them driveways, or single lane roads around here. Most people around here don't want 8'+ wide "trail" running all over the place and I never see jobs here where they want 4" of stone on a 8' wide trail for their personal use. Would be a little pricey

We have a 3000sq ft garden, so by your logic I shouldn't use our BX or BCS to till it, I should use the largest machine possible that would fit - I'll tell the wife we need a new machine asap....

Attachments

• frontier-tillage-hero-r4d000207.jpg
    frontier-tillage-hero-r4d000207.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 405
   / Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #30  

Wifey say's she like my " little iron"...:eek:

View attachment 533179