Minneapolis Moline BF

/ Minneapolis Moline BF
Hey all, stumbled across this thread by accident while searching for some information on the MM BF I just purchased. Would any of you be able to help positively identify the year of my BF? I know by the serial number prefix of 578 it is a BFW made in late 53, or 54, 55, 56, but would like to narrow that down. Serial number is 57800077, engine serial number is IXB3SL 2476453 008.

Here are some pictures if that helps...it runs and operates well, needs wiring work and the carb rebuilt, then clean up and paint. Paid $1100 for it.

DSC01520.jpg

DSC01521.jpg

DSC01522.jpg

DSC01523.jpg

The tractor s/n should be stamped on the top of the right hand main rail near the brake pedal.

Here's the s/n on my 1951 MM BF wide front
DSCF0032 (Small).JPG

You can see that rail (yellow color) and the right side brake pedals in this photo.

DSCF0069 (Small).JPG

Hope this helps.

/ Minneapolis Moline BF #32  
There is no serial number stamped into the rail, the tractor serial number is given on a Minneapolis Moline serial number plate affixed horizonally to the right rail, as I posted (S/N 57800077). Below is a picture of the serial number plate.

DSC01527.jpg

/ Minneapolis Moline BF #33  
Hey all, still trying to find the year of my BF, if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

/ Minneapolis Moline BF #34  
   / Minneapolis Moline BF
   / Minneapolis Moline BF #36  
That's the first list I looked at when trying to determine year. Notice the S/N on my tractor is a 578 prefix though, NOT a 577 like the BFD, 576 like the BFS, or 580 like the BFH. Also, this tractor is an original wide front, which SHOULD make it a BFW. This is my third MM so I know MM had some record keeping troubles and did some odd things, but I can't find mention anywhere of a 578 prefix, let alone serial number records for the later BFs.

/ Minneapolis Moline BF #37  
Regardless of the number sequence, I would still say it is a 53 model. On the older ones, the numbers were stamped into the frame.

I noticed that serial number issue too. I have other sources for the serial numbers, and they all are just like the tractordata one.

/ Minneapolis Moline BF #38  
I have other sources as well, and they all state the same as what you listed. I have found, on the Minneapolis Moline collector's website, information from a dealer memo that states all serial number prefixes, and it lists 578 as being used for BFW tractors, but does not distinguish years. So it looks like my tractors is indeed an original BFW.

On a side note, I thought BFs were made up until 56? Or was it only 53?