Model A Ford Pickup Value

/ Model A Ford Pickup Value #11  
This truck looks to be in good sound condition, BUT, lots of work will need to be done to make it roadworthy. Motor work, interior work, wiring probably is chewed up by mice, stripping the paint and a new paint job, and much more. A fair price among friends in this situation, would be 5-7 thousand dollars, probably at the lower end, around 5 thousand. Depends how bad you want it. 28-29's don't have the value of the 30-31's. Hope you get it.........

hardly an expert, but this is about what I was thinking

/ Model A Ford Pickup Value #12  
I would get it if you can and after the house then you might have the time. It's set this long so it can set a few more, like money in the bank. I should saw better then money in the bank.
After the navy i were to ca. thinking the grass might be greener. While there I got one for $50.00 and it was a runner. Well the grass was brown and I went back home without the truck. Just got up one moring and hoped the bus. That was in 1962 and man I have kicked myself in the a-- for years. I think you would be kicking yourself if you pass on it.
Oh well so much for being young and nuts.

Last edited:
   / Model A Ford Pickup Value #13  
The drawback to waiting on the time/room/money etc instead of going ahead an buying it, could be explained, if you look at the '65 vette, auto/ps/pb/factory air/ complete THAT ISN'T IN MY DRIVEWAY. I had an agreement with a lady to buy it, and guess what, somebody else found out about it and walked up with a lot more CASH and now it is sitting in their driveway...she said that she thought I changed my mind, never asked and it was gone before I found out she was getting tired of it sitting in the garage.
Cars for sale GET SOLD, so go buy it! If you need the room, rent the space it is currently sitting it till you can find better accomadations, but go buy it!
David from jax
Hmmm, since your location is listed, maybe I need to start doing some serious searches to locate that jewel of a truck and beat you to it (just kidding but realistically that is the way some people think)

/ Model A Ford Pickup Value #14  
I would say between $4,000 to $5,000 range. 1929 Closed Cab Trucks tend to be at the lower end of the scale price wise.

The truck is not a stock 1929... at least the wheels are from a 30-31 as is the Front Bumper... the horn is aftermarket too... good originals are not cheap.

Costs a lot to restore one.. although pickups cost less because you don't have to deal with more expensive upholstery, etc.

Most any old barn find Model A can be made to run... they are very impressive that way.

Standard things to check would be to see if you can hand crank the engine to see if it is free or frozen... since it is not frozen... look for freeze damage to the block and head if straight water was left in the cooling system...

Drain and refill the fluids... Coolant, Motor Oil, Trans and Differential... there are many Zerk fittings to grease... just don't over grease the ones at each end of the rear axle because the extra grease will end up on the brake linings...

Don't forget gear oil for the steering gear box although some use grease because of the Zerk and the water pump especially needs grease front and rear.

I made a little Test Fuel tank from a peanut can... no sense trying to draw from the tank if it's bad... a word of caution.. the fuel we have in California will loosen everything in the tank... eventually, you will have a clean tank and might discover leaks too.

Original Carb Bowl comes apart with one bolt... later replacement tillotsons it is easier to loosen the two carb to intake bolts and then bench disassemble and clean...

Good practice is to squirt a little oil down each spark plug hole and let things soak a few days...

Burnish the points by sliding a business card between them... timing should be fine if the car was put away running.

6 volt battery POSITIVE ground... although you could get away starting with a 12v... lots of the guys run 12 volt systems with the 6 volt starter.

I've seen nice pickup go in the 10 to 14k range... most people underestimate what it costs to restore on. My pricing is based on California... your area could very well be more or less.

Good thing is almost every part you might need is available...

I'm a 37 year member of the Model A Ford Club and worked after school and summers at a Model A Parts House during my High School years...

Full Coverage Collector Insurance is cheap... typically less than a $100 a year with modest value through JC Taylor.

Lebaron Bonney has seats'upohostery kits that are very good...

Might also want to contact the local Model A Club in your area... lots of great resources always willing to help a fellow member...

Happy to help in any way I can...

PS... the engine could be what is commonly called a "B" engine which is a good thing. "B" engines had larger bearings, higher compression, more horsepower and some had counter weighted cranks... B engines do not have an external oil return tube outside block behind the carb... B engines do have a cast boss for a fuel pump...

/ Model A Ford Pickup Value #15  
Nice looking truck! I'd love to poke around that garage, I'm sure there are lots of other gems that most people would mistake for junk.

Good luck!

/ Model A Ford Pickup Value #16  
Here's a picture of my early 1931 Model A pickup on Treasure Island with San Francisco in the background.

It was a basket case that I hauled home in the back of my Chevrolet pickup truck... restored every nut and bolt, body and paint.

The front radiator shell, headlights and cowl band should be painted black on pickups... I used passenger car stainless on mine.

I've had some strange reactions when loading up ten 60# sack of Ready Mix at Home Depot or bringing home a new Kohler Cast Iron Bathtub... keep an old carpet and plywood in the shop just for these special circumstances...

At least is old enough so commercial plates are not required...

I use to own the 28 Sport Coupe parked next to the pickup... traded it for a 29 Roadster project.

Attachments

• 1931 Model A Ford on Treasure Island.jpg
    1931 Model A Ford on Treasure Island.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
   / Model A Ford Pickup Value
Here's a picture of my early 1931 Model A pickup on Treasure Island with San Francisco in the background.

It was a basket case that I hauled home in the back of my Chevrolet pickup truck... restored every nut and bolt, body and paint.

The front radiator shell, headlights and cowl band should be painted black on pickups... I used passenger car stainless on mine.

I've had some strange reactions when loading up ten 60# sack of Ready Mix at Home Depot or bringing home a new Kohler Cast Iron Bathtub... keep an old carpet and plywood in the shop just for these special circumstances...

At least is old enough so commercial plates are not required...

I use to own the 28 Sport Coupe parked next to the pickup... traded it for a 29 Roadster project.
I now what your talking about . i get the same reaction when I load my 1 ton Willys up with firewood. These trucks were built to work. If I wanted a trailer queen I would have bought a Packard. You should see the looks I get when we're out in the deep Maine woods lookin for some birds. It has 4WD for a reason.
As far as the Model A, you certainly have some knowledge there. Unfortunately, I am going to let it go. She had an offer of almost double what I figured it was worth with everybodys help. She felt bad, but I told her not to and take the guys money. How he came up with his value I will never figure out. I have seen older, running restorations that have sold for less. I'm happy for her, but also sad. Even my wife felt bad. We finish the house I'll continue my search for another project. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYBODY:thumbsup:

/ Model A Ford Pickup Value #19  
Antique cars have a lot of variance price wise...

I get people all the time that think my little pick-up is worth 30 or 40k...

When I told them to make me an offer or say I would let it go for 15k... that is the last I hear.

Part of the difference I believe is the hype from the cable channels... people competing to "Win" the prize. I've seen it at auctions many times or at some of the big car shows...

A long time club member and dear friend could no longer drive his 30 Model A Deluxe Tudor Sedan... he had it for sale for 2 years and accepted 10k for it... it had always placed in concourse competition and he had put many miles on club tours... even from San Francisco to Montana one year, San Francisco to Durango the next and San Francisco to Seattle the year after... in other words it was a correct, excellent running and well restored car...

Hook up with the local club chapter... club members always seem to know when something turns up... I realize it won't have the same sentimental value... but, you can make new memories.

I really like your pickup... an old retired horse guy had one and towed a horse trailer all over the western states for his daughter's competitions... it was heavily modified over the years... still had the classic look and tires...