Modify walk behind roto tiller

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #21  
Next question: I usually get seed potatoes that are about the size of ping pong balls, but this year I could only find them the size of big potatoes. I realize that you can cut them into pieces as long as each has an "eye". Some where back I was told you had to treat the cut surface with ?roteene or some other fungicidal? Any words of wisdom?
Yes,
Just cut the potatoes into pieces, with about one "eye" in each piece. You shouldn't need any kind of fungicide or anything.

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #22  
Yes,
Just cut the potatoes into pieces, with about one "eye" in each piece. You shouldn't need any kind of fungicide or anything.

Yep, that's the way I did it and my dad did it; never heard of anyone "treating" the pieces with anything.

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #23  
For weeding and such, the little Mantis type tillers work well, and may be light enough for you to use. I have a weed eater with a tiller head, but you may choose one with a low mounted 2 cycle engine.

I'm not sure if I'd want a tiller on a riding tractor for weeding as your control might be somewhat limited. Most of the garden tractors would be wide for stability.

It looks like some of the mobility scooters may be narrow. Most seem to have small tires, but some have a bit larger tires, but still relatively narrow tires.

Afikim Breeze 4W 4-Wheel Electric Mobility Scooter*::*Scooters & Golf Carts*::*All Terrain Medical & Mobility L.L.C.

For weeding, I'm wondering one could build a lightweight mantis-type tiller on a 4 wheel platform like a lawnmower that would give you limited depth cut. Then design it all to be extremely easy to push (powered wheels).

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #24  
Yep, that's the way I did it and my dad did it; never heard of anyone "treating" the pieces with anything.
Bird,
Any reason why planting potatoes in a raised garden box would be discouraged?? I "think" mine are plenty "deep" @ approx. 16" but I am not sure how much "area" above the ground is required since I've never planted potatoes before. I kinda assumed they wouldn't take up much more room than a yellow or zucchinin squash hill takes up. Squash is about the only vegetable I've planted in the raised boxes that doesn't do well for some reason, so I'm ready to give up on putting squash in the raised beds and try something else. Potatoes(even though my wife & I are both diabetic, and restrict our consumption of spuds) sounded like something else to try to see how they do. I have "garden mix" soil from a landscaping center(pretty "loamy") in the boxes and add a couple of cubic feet of Miracle Grow Garden Soil each season and mix it in. Watcha think.......should I put out some taters?????

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #25  
Potatoes don't take anywhere close to the amount of room that squash does. I planted mine in rows 4 or 5 feet apart to make it easier to cultivate with the tractor. Otherwise the rows would have been closer together. And I just tilled the ground, then placed my seeds approx. 6" apart in a straight line, then pulled the soil up on them from both directions, so I had long hills. You'd like your seed potatoes to be covered with about 6" of soil. I never tried raised beds. My current next door neighbor bought some blue plastic barrels, cut the top and bottom off each one, then cut them in two, right around the middle, set those rings on the ground, partially filled each one with potting soil intending to plant potatoes in each one. But that was a couple of years ago, and before he got around to planting his potatoes his health took a turn for the worse and he hasn't done any gardening.

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #27  
Not just for the mall. Put some off-road tires on it and go have some fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x56VHd5NDpo

...and other videos.
Bruce

bcp,
I consider that initial you tube video as nothing short of irresponsible by the Segway of New Mexico dealer and Segway should revoke their franchise immediately. That is nothing short of inciting individuals(yeah, they can put the Don't Try This At Home disclaimer which does not change the video) to place themselves in serious risk of significant body injury!!!!! There emphatically is NO SUCH THING as a "Professional Seqway rider" and that comes from a nine year Segway veteran. Indeed I have "jumped a few curbs"(down only of course) when there was not handicap access to a sidewalk, but some of those maneuvers in that video, especially the "high-speed" ones is borderline insanity. And of course, if you saw some of my moves on the dance floor of the Wild Horse Saloon in Nashville, TN you would see that I am a veteran "glider" and have very good control of my Segway. I have never demoed an off-road model and do fine(carefully) on most bike trails when accomanying my wife who's on her bike. But, the Seqway is NOT a toy or gadget that can evolve into "Extreme Segway" usage. Remember, the last owner(who bought Segway from it's inventor) went off a cliff in England on a prototype Segway and killed himself(enough said there, right). Didn't do much for the marketing division......duhhhhhhhh!! Recently the company was purchased from that estate by a company in Brentwood, TN close to where I live and they are intent on product improvement and expanded deployment. The fact that the invetor visioned changing the way that we move about locally(sidewalks, malls, etc), going on trails(the off-road model in the you tube), security usage(the Patroller model...that can apprehend an on foot suspect faster than they can run) and even the golf course(with the golf-bag/stationary when you dismount model); I do not believe he ever envisioned the usage portayed in this You Tube video and it is a travesty that some Segway dealer to "attract sales"...what other reason would they disseminate that video..... with unrealistic expectations for the intended use by the purchaser(more money than they have sense:0) solidifies my interpretation of this "kicks just seem getting harder to find" society(to quote the 70's song)!!!

P.S.
As a sidebar, this morning's local news reported a lawn care maintenance professional who died when his John Deere Zero Turn overturned. This "Commercial mower" as the news reported had no ROPS. There should be a lw that fines a lawn care service from being paid if there mowers do not meet safety requirements. I'll bet that services insurance company just sent them a letter of coverage cancelling. The dealer that sold a "Commercial" ZTR to a lawn service(or individual that had the intent to mow lawns for money)without a ROPS should also be held liable.

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #28  
I consider that initial you tube video as nothing short of irresponsible by the Segway of New Mexico dealer and Segway should revoke their franchise immediately.

Wow!! I don't understand your attitude about this at all! There are daredevils and stunt performers in or on bicycles, cars, motorcycles, boats, airplanes, tractors, etc. Segway's not a toy? Neither are those other forms of transportation, but if a person can afford any of them, including the Segway, just for fun, I figure that's their business. And I'd consider that youtube video to be great advertising for both the company and that dealer. It shows what the machine is capable of, and the dealer clearly warned that you shouldn't try it at home. Haven't you ever seen similar automobile ads?

NO SUCH THING as a "Professional Seqway rider"? What do you have to do to be a "professional" at anything? Get paid? Compete for money? Do a demonstration for money?

I guess this is one time we'll just have to agree to disagree.:laughing:

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #29  
Wow!! I don't understand your attitude about this at all! There are daredevils and stunt performers in or on bicycles, cars, motorcycles, boats, airplanes, tractors, etc. Segway's not a toy? Neither are those other forms of transportation, but if a person can afford any of them, including the Segway, just for fun, I figure that's their business. And I'd consider that youtube video to be great advertising for both the company and that dealer. It shows what the machine is capable of, and the dealer clearly warned that you shouldn't try it at home. Haven't you ever seen similar automobile ads?

NO SUCH THING as a "Professional Seqway rider"? What do you have to do to be a "professional" at anything? Get paid? Compete for money? Do a demonstration for money?

I guess this is one time we'll just have to agree to disagree.:laughing:

Bird,
I am passionate in regard to the quality of life improvement I have realized by having a Segway and utilizing it as it was designed to do(easily transport a human from Point A to Point B) I have been "refused"(even though I am handicapped) entrance to Dollywood(profit electric cart business inside) and "thrown out" with the threat of arrest at Opry Mills Mall in Nashville(later apologized to if I would sign a "liability waiver"). Things like that You Tube further impede the concept and SAFETY considerations of the Segway and aside from the ADA revision there is nothing that prevents an entity to refuse me to enter their property(for safety and liability reasons, since we have such a legalistic society...like hot coffe in your lap at the mcDonald's drive-thru.....duhhhhhh). And guess what a mall management company, NFL Football stadium owner, etc. think about the Segway if they view that You Tube. "We won't let those on our property to avoid any lawsuits"!!!!! So now, I cannot go to an NFL football game and be "mobile" because of that video.........YEP!! Now do you understand my perspective(whether you agree or not)? Yes, anyone with more money than sense can buy a Segway and do anything on it they want. But from an acceptance and/or marketing perspective do you really think that Segway Corp. would condone that video. I will find out because the company(Segway) was just purchased by another company right here in Middle Tennesse and I will contact them and ask. I'll let you know what "their response" to that video is.

Professional Segway rider.....after 9 years of gliding if I am not paying attention and the wheel gets up against an object(like a sidewalk curb), my Segway's programming does not "like" the wheel motions being restricted in any manner and it will "throw me off" like a bucking bronco!!! And has!!! If you purchased one, MUCH emphasis is give to potential serious bodily injury if the Segway is used outside it's intended purpose and/or the rider is not extremely aware of the surrondings while riding it. There is no way that those "Professiona Riders" in that video going on those rough trails at top speed and doing the maneuvers they are doing are anything short of "asking for an injury". I agree, that's their perogative but don't advertise that capacity so that it affects a handicap person like myself from being mobile due to their ignorance. Heck, you could do the same crazy stuff in an electric wheel chair....do you see wheelchair companies advertising like that???

/ Modify walk behind roto tiller #30  
Some of the rear engine lawn mowers sport 26" to 28" mower decks, and 10 HP engines. For example the Weed Eater WE-ONE sports a 26" mower deck, although I don't see the wheel width. You might need a little more aggressive of tire tread if trying to drive it in the garden.

I could imagine that narrow front wheels would be much more maneuverable in a garden.

20 or 30 years ago, there were several 3 wheeled ATVs, but I doubt any would have been below 30", except perhaps a child's toy 3 wheeler.

It is quite possible that the optimal ride-on super narrow tractor frame for weeding doesn't exist. You might need to make it out of a gocart chassis.