Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices!

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #21  
Can't say I remember ever bought anything from MW? My impression was they were just an expensive Sears. Who, by the way, will soon have the same demise as MW.

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #22  
Had not thought of them for a long time. Never bought anything from them. My dad bought an adjustable wrench from them, because it was cheaper than Craftsman. The adjusting screw operated backwards from the Crescent and Craftsman wrenches we had. We could not get used to it. He kept it for years because it would bother him to get rid of it, but he never used it.

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #23  
I liked Montgomery Wards. As a little kid I spent endless hours looking through Sears and MW catalogs. And I promise I skipped over the womens lingerie sections and went straight to ogle tools and lawnmowers. :liar:

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #24  
We called them Monkey Wards.

They were equivalent to sears, based in Baltimore.

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #25  
My first bicycle was a Hawthorne...from MW.

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #26  
We called them Monkey Wards.

They were equivalent to sears, based in Baltimore.

Yep, that's what we called them in Oklahoma, too, and that's where all my store bought clothes came from when I was a kid. I guess in those days, that was the biggest department store in Ardmore, OK. Sears just had a little mail order store there. My grandfather had a .22 rifle from Wards and many years later, when it broke, he found no place to get parts.

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #27  
For a young country boy in Oklahoma, there was no thrill like ordering something from the catalog. If I recall, it usually took a couple of weeks for delivery, but for me it seemed like years. I remember ordering a wind up toy Caterpillar with rubber tracks from the catalog, and how excited I was when it arrived. I was very proud and played with it until it gave up. Something internally happened; instead of crawling across the floor, it took off like a shot. That was fun for awhile, but Mom didn't like me banging up the walls.

This was in the days before TV, and living in the country, something as simple as this toy was a big deal.

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #28  
What a group of old f@rts discussing a 17 year old thread revived by a newbie that has zilch to do with tractors!

Can the thread make it to 100 posts?

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #29  
What a group of old f@rts discussing a 17 year old thread revived by a newbie that has zilch to do with tractors!

Can the thread make it to 100 posts?

Maybe, can you help with a few more posts?

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #30  
Nostalgia? Do you think we did any damage to TBN?:laughing: What does your post have to do with tractors?:laughing: