More problems on the 425 Kohler CH25

/ More problems on the 425 Kohler CH25
When we got married in 1985, my in-laws gave us a little Craftsman push lawn mower with a small B&S engine. I never changed the oil. I'd just top it off in the spring and tap out the air cleaner on the garage floor. Original spark plug, too. That darn thing would start 1st pull every spring. Just had to push the primer button 15-20 times. I never drained the fuel in fall. Always used E10 87 octane. It got to the point I'd call the wife and kids out to watch the annual event to see if it would start first pull. Amazing. 29 years later, the deck cracked and the wheel mounts bent out, but the little engine was still good.

I pulled the engine off the deck and it sits in a place of honor in the back of my garage.
Excellent!! 😊

Change the oil and filter regularly. Keep the air cleaner clean. Keep the debris from building up on the engine cooling fins. That's about all I do to mine.
Plus, I’m gonna start using the recommended Kohler 10w-30 oil. I’m guessing the zinc and any other additives in it make the difference in keeping those touchy lifters from sticking solid. I decided to try and “rejuvenate” mine, since I found them to be so simple…but…I may have to rethink that…the first one wasn’t too difficult to disassemble and reassemble. But, the next three have been a near nightmare getting apart—first, in order to get the retaining clip out, they need pumped down. I tried using the half-pushrod mounted in a drill press method, but it was taking so much effort to crank the press down, it was pushing the head unit away from the table! I had to end up putting it in a vice with a small socket to push in. And THEN, trying to get the two sliding parts out, they would hang up at the point of coming out of the main shell. It took quite a while maneuvering with PBBlaster and other stuff to finally get all the pieces out. I then cleaned and polished them and the spring, and with a little oil coating put them back together. About 24 hours later they all still plunge just fine, but I’m kinda worried that they might solidify again, since the newest oil hasn’t become totally clean again. (Meaning I’m sure there’s more gunk/varnish, crud, etc. to flush out)
I believe it wise to not experiment in this case, and just order new lifters…😜

Plus, I’m gonna start using the recommended Kohler 10w-30 oil. I’m guessing the zinc and any other additives in it make the difference in keeping those touchy lifters from sticking solid. I decided to try and “rejuvenate” mine, since I found them to be so simple…but…I may have to rethink that…the first one wasn’t too difficult to disassemble and reassemble. But, the next three have been a near nightmare getting apart—first, in order to get the retaining clip out, they need pumped down. I tried using the half-pushrod mounted in a drill press method, but it was taking so much effort to crank the press down, it was pushing the head unit away from the table! I had to end up putting it in a vice with a small socket to push in. And THEN, trying to get the two sliding parts out, they would hang up at the point of coming out of the main shell. It took quite a while maneuvering with PBBlaster and other stuff to finally get all the pieces out. I then cleaned and polished them and the spring, and with a little oil coating put them back together. About 24 hours later they all still plunge just fine, but I’m kinda worried that they might solidify again, since the newest oil hasn’t become totally clean again. (Meaning I’m sure there’s more gunk/varnish, crud, etc. to flush out)
Oh and that Kohler oil? At Tractor Supply I paid 14.99 per quart! Ouch!

/ More problems on the 425 Kohler CH25 #85  
I picked up a 20 ton shop press from harbor freight a few years ago...

seems prudent to spend $250 on a press VS $79 for 4 new lifters... 🙃 🙃:ROFLMAO:

But seriously, it's pretty handy to have around at home now. I had access to a press at my former employer, so never had the need to have one at home. But haven't worked there for about 6.5 years now. Plus, getting set up for retirement in a few years, so gathering the necessities for the garage... shop press, band saw, small refrigerator.

/ More problems on the 425 Kohler CH25 #86  
I switched my engine oil to mobil 1 after the 1st oil change. That's all that's been in it for 20+ years.

I switched my engine oil to mobil 1 after the 1st oil change. That's all that's been in it for 20+ years.
Yep…I believe I’ve read a few comments from that mention as long as it’s a high quality oil with the proper specs, then it should be fine…at this point, and seeing the carnage up close and personal, I’m running a bit “sceert” for now, so I’ll stay with the Kohler stuff and pay more attention to inspections—might be worth it to pop off a valve cover every so often and see how it all looks in there…
And yes—I wouldn’t mind having a real shop press too…probably safer than some of the things I’ve rigged up over the years. You should see my “valve spring compressor”…a big C-clamp and the U-shaped bottom of a chair castor…😆😜

Update: sorry, not really an update…yet. I’ve been covered up with other stuff and “honey do” items…and the nasty weather hasn’t given me many opportunities. But I do have all the parts now to get this thing back together and see what happens. Will update then. 😊

In trying to get started with reassembly, I discovered an odd thing—a slight “depression” on cylinder 1. It’s at the top of the bore, on the exhaust side…

Attachments

• IMG_5359.jpeg
    IMG_5359.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5360.jpeg
    IMG_5360.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5361.jpeg
    IMG_5361.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
   / More problems on the 425 Kohler CH25 #90  
Is that the same cylinder where you found the mystery pin?