Morels

/ Morels #11  
I haven't looked for morels yet but did dig a mess of ramps (wild leeks) last week. Lord I love those things. I have a couple of small patches I planted on the farm a few years ago, but about a mile down the hill right along the township road is a patch on either side of the road that runs as far as you can see. I can stop any time in the spring and 3 shovelfuls will yield all I can eat for a week.I have a friend who likes them as soon as they come up, but I prefer them when the tops are about to die back. It seems to me that they are milder when they get big. Try flouring some chicken livers and frying them up with a big bunch of ramps. Food of the Gods

/ Morels #12  
We look for morels when oak leaves are mouse ear size. Usually in the last week of April to first week of May. Grey or black are growing first followed by yellow in second half of May.

Speaking about mushrooms in general. All mushrooms are edible. Some only once.

/ Morels #13  
We look for morels when oak leaves are mouse ear size. Usually in the last week of April to first week of May. Grey or black are growing first followed by yellow in second half of May.

Speaking about mushrooms in general. All mushrooms are edible. Some only once.

So true!

/ Morels #15  
"We look for morels when oak leaves are mouse ear size. "

We have a similar saying here in Maine. No point in goin' fishin' till the leaves are as big as mouses ears.

/ Morels #16  
I haven't looked for morels yet but did dig a mess of ramps (wild leeks) last week. Lord I love those things. I have a couple of small patches I planted on the farm a few years ago, but about a mile down the hill right along the township road is a patch on either side of the road that runs as far as you can see. I can stop any time in the spring and 3 shovelfuls will yield all I can eat for a week.I have a friend who likes them as soon as they come up, but I prefer them when the tops are about to die back. It seems to me that they are milder when they get big. Try flouring some chicken livers and frying them up with a big bunch of ramps. Food of the Gods

What's a wild leek? Never heard of such a thing.
There was an old timer (gone now) who taught wifey and I beekeeping. His springtime feed was, "a mess of suckers (fish) and dandelion greens."
Once the water warms up the suckers get parrisites all over them and don't appear too particularly appealling. I have yet to try such a feast but it's on my list of things to do.
Morels? Gathered a bunch once ane was told they were the wrong ones. Really need at least one time personal instruction.

/ Morels #17  
Oh man, I love morels. Clean those little suckers good, soak them in salt water, rinse well. Heat up a pan with butter, dip them in flour, salt and fry till crispy. A food worthy of the gods. I haven't had any in years and years, wish I were back hope, I have a woods on my small farm and used to find them there.
"A food worthy of the gods"
Sort of what I was thinkin. I just don't want to eat at thier table...if ya know what I mean. Not yet anyway.

/ Morels #18  
Retiredmgn. I looked to see where you are that you didn't know wild leeks or ramps I knew it wasn't this area as they are fairly popular here and in W. Va. The ramp is hard to explain. It grows wild usually in large patches either along streams or in fairly well shades wooded areas. They are a tuber like an onion but have a flavor more like garlic, and will give you terrible bad breath, they are quite pungent. I have even noticed that after eating a bunch that you will smell funny when you sweat. In West Virginia in the spring you will find ramp and bean dinners at local fire stations etc. I use them pretty much like you would an onion or garlic. they are good with fried potatos, in omelets,, you can saute the tops in bacon grease sort of like greens or wilted dandelions. I even like to tear up a few tender leaves when they are small and mix with lettuce in a tossed salad. I have dehydrated them and used later in soups and stews. Google Ramps and I think you will get a better explanation than I seem to be able to come up with.

/ Morels #19  
For anybody interested and who finds more morels than they can eat at one time, here is how to save them. Clean the morels in whatever way you choose. Dry off as much moisture as you can, I simply lay them on some paper towels, then place some flour in a ziplock bag. Put some morels in the bag and get them well covered with flour. place the morels on a cookie sheet, lay them out individually, DO NOT stack them on each other, place in freezer until totally frozen. Remove from freezer and place in ziplock bags getting as much air out of the bag as possible. Place in freezer and when you want to use them, brown them in butter, they will be just like fresh picked. This really works. Now if I can just find more than I can eat at one time.

/ Morels #20  
Here are few pics from 2008. That was the best year since we own our land. I used to bring a full wicker basket of whites to work pretty much every day.
My wife put them to soups, fries them, mixes them with fried eggs or cook them in rice. We dry them and keep them in a mesh in the pantry. They reconstitute pretty well.

Attachments

• Morels_001.JPG
    Morels_001.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 179
  • Morels_007.JPG
    Morels_007.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 165