Tractor Sizing Most popular size tractor

/ Most popular size tractor #41  
There you go, before you can count 'em you're gonna need to define what a "tractor" is.

Look it up.
My Latin - isn't,
but I think it derives from trahere (something like that) a verb "to pull".

/ Most popular size tractor #42  
I suppose that I should have said tractors with 3pt hitches. Do you think that anybody has made more tractors than Tonka?

Well at least I have learned something new today, I was starting to get worried. :rolleyes:

Well, no.
What you REALLY should have said was the answer.
What you REALLY should have asked us for was help in narrowing the question for the majority to give EXACTLY and ONLY that answer.
(-:

In memory of a thread in which the author was trying to get the answer "Checker Marathon".
It took a while, but EVENTUALLY he narrowed his question down.

I can start one;
Answer: IH 1066.

/ Most popular size tractor #43  
This might be best answered by dealers, but anyone can put their 2 cents in. What do you feel is the most popular size tractor sold that we talk about here on TBN? 20hp, 30, 40hp, bigger? Scut, cut, utility.:confused: I have no idea, was just thinking about it. To me something that is 60" wide is a good size, small enough to get around, but big enough that you can get some work done without it taking such a long time to get it done. That size is usually in the 25-35hp range. I may be way off, I know that there are a lot of scuts out there, thus the question. Hard to know the answer without asking, and TBN is the place to find out.:D

Well, no.
What you REALLY should have asked us for was help in narrowing the question for the majority to give EXACTLY and ONLY that answer.
(-:

In memory of a thread in which the author was trying to get the answer "Checker Marathon".

I can start one;
Question was pretty clear... Not that.
larry

/ Most popular size tractor
Well, no.
(-:

I can start one;

Sorry, you have lost me.:confused: I'm not a lawyer, so I don't ask questions that I know the answers to and this is not Jeopardy and again I'm not looking for questions.

/ Most popular size tractor #45  
2 sizes: 48" & 66" give or take 6" for buckets & implements (for example, both my buckets & my RC mower are 72", my BB is 66", my old mower was 60")

/ Most popular size tractor #46  
id say most popular size (as numbers sold). class 2 CUT 30-40hp

/ Most popular size tractor #47  
The automotive and Heavy Truck industries have a wealth of information as to exactly how many of each vehicle model and even what options are produced, in inventory, scheduled for production, and have been sold, in any given week, month or year. Dealers and suppliers need this information for planning and long lead materials scheduling. This is often compiled and published by 3rd parties in Industry magazines or even by paid services. I find it difficult to believe the tractor industry does not have similar information available to dealers, suppliers, etc?
Come on somebody! Fess up! The numbers are around somewhere and Enquiring Minds want to know!

/ Most popular size tractor
The automotive and Heavy Truck industries have a wealth of information as to exactly how many of each vehicle model and even what options are produced, in inventory, scheduled for production, and have been sold, in any given week, month or year. Dealers and suppliers need this information for planning and long lead materials scheduling. This is often compiled and published by 3rd parties in Industry magazines or even by paid services. I find it difficult to believe the tractor industry does not have similar information available to dealers, suppliers, etc?
Come on somebody! Fess up! The numbers are around somewhere and Enquiring Minds want to know!

It seems like someone asks a similar question every once in a while and as far as I know, the answer is some world secret of some kind. :eek: No one will give a straight answer, all we ever get are half answers and innuendos.:( Have we heard from any dealers yet?:( Surely a dealer knows what tractor he or she sells the most of. :confused:

Maybe I should try asking a similar question in each brands forum? I didn't want to repeat myself with multiple posts, but then I guess that each one would be a word or two different, and brand specific. ;)

/ Most popular size tractor #49  
This might be best answered by dealers, but anyone can put their 2 cents in. What do you feel is the most popular size tractor sold that we talk about here on TBN? 20hp, 30, 40hp, bigger? Scut, cut, utility.:confused: I have no idea, was just thinking about it. To me something that is 60" wide is a good size, small enough to get around, but big enough that you can get some work done without it taking such a long time to get it done. That size is usually in the 25-35hp range. I may be way off, I know that there are a lot of scuts out there, thus the question. Hard to know the answer without asking, and TBN is the place to find out.:D

I don't think it is any sort of closely guarded secret, it might just not be interesting data, from the biz POV.

Most searches that I have done come up with Ag machinery sales, the word "tractor" seems to trigger that (no surprise).
Interesting that JD ~25%, New Holland ~18%, Massey Ferguson ~18%, McCormick ~6%, ,,,,, with Kubota 9th at ~3 1/2%, but it isn't clear if that is unit or dollar volume and in any case you hadn't asked about manufacturer popularity.
My guess is that "industry data" will be for sales of machinery that is much larger than what we talk about here.
It will be for "Agri-Biz" sized "Factory Farms" (& other derogatory terms).

It might be possible to come up with smaller equipment sales data by searching for something like "grounds maintenance equipment sales", but I doubt that you could cut that down to only the "tractors" (however defined), still less by "size" of them, not even units, just dollars.

It would get the "Mowers" part of our discussions, then some imaginative searching to figure out all that "Loader Work". Hmmm, FEL sales... by lift capacity ? I doubt you would EVER find industry roll ups of that.
======================
"most popular size tractor sold that we talk about here on TBN? "
The talking part ...hard to figure, many of the posts don't mention "size" (however defined) specifically and in most of them it is hard to infer. There MIGHT be some analysis done by the site admin, but I doubt that it would go below the level of posts per forum.

My GUESS is still that Cat 1 is the center of interest here on TBN.
I doubt you will be able to cut it much finer than that.
25, 30, 35, 40 ? I agree, somewhere in there, but each of our darts would hit that board in slightly different places.
It is tempting to pick the mid point of Cat 1, so I won't (-:

There is some spread to Cat 0 and 2 wheelers in one direction and Cat 2 in the other direction. I can't re-call a thread specifically about a Cat 3 tractor, or Cat 3 implements, other than the "Gollly, Gee, Wiz, Lookit the size of THAT sucker" threads.

/ Most popular size tractor #50  
Seems simple to me, and that is why I stated at the beginning that it might be really a question for dealers. But all info is welcomed. ;)

It's not even a good question for individual dealers. A dealer in the suburbs proximate to a large metro area will sell a different mix than a dealer in rural row crop country. A store catering to horse owners will give a different answer than one serving orchards, vineyards or vegetable growers. It really depends on location; the best you could do is average the entire US together. Even if you conducted an accurate poll of every owner on TBN it may well not be representative of the overall tractor owning population.

I would say that here on TBN most discussions and purchases are related to Cat I type CUT/Utility machines in the 30-50 Hp range ( I have three). And then on either side of that you have SCUTS used mainly for mowing+home grounds maintenance and larger utilities for serious farm work(one of those).