Motor oil and other fuel additives

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives
what additive do you use?

may not be what it was designed to do, but if it works and is doing all good and no harm.....

things that should be considered when doing this though is DPF in 08+ trucks and trucks with CATs. i'd imagine they would get clogged right away. another reason i took mine off.

do you have a diesel truck? and a way to monitor injector balance rates? if you do, run a few quarts through your truck. ****, how about a gallon or two. and tell me what you notice. low rates aren't the ONLY way to monitor injector health, but one of the main ways.

why don't they tell us to use oil? maybe we should start a little conspiracy.... they don't want our injectors healthy because we won't need them repaired! :D

i said quiet @ idle ;) neighboors shoot up through their bedroom ceilings when they hear it WOT :D

edit- i think it's halarious that this site feels the need to 'bleep' out the H word

also, i want you to sign up @ dieselplace.com and take part in some of the discussions over there. you seem like you know what you're talking about, and have a different opinion. that's awesome and the more people like that we can get on one board the better the outcome will be.

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives #13  
"what additive do you use?"

The same one I sell, TRC's DZL-PEP year round and DZL-PEP Arctic when it get's really cold out to prevent gelling issues. The same additives I use in all my customers vehicles.

"things that should be considered when doing this though is DPF in 08+ trucks and trucks with CATs. i'd imagine they would get clogged right away. another reason i took mine off."

Took mine off??? You removed your DPF?
shocked005.gif
Shame on you and a big no no in the EPA's eyes. ;) On OTR class 8 trucks this would be impossible since the DPF is monitered by the ECM (at least Cat and Cummins are).

Oil in the fuel will be a huge no no on these trucks. And that would be 07+ not 08+. I saw some test when I went to the federal emissions convention in Washington back in 04 about how easy they are to plug up if the wrong oil is run in the crankcase. I think it was Donaldson that had a cut in half plugged filter at their display table. It had been used with a engine that had the wrong oil in the crankcase and only had something like 9-10,000 miles on it. It looked like solid mess of tar. I can't even imagine how fast they would plug up if you put oil in with the fuel.

"do you have a diesel truck? and a way to monitor injector balance rates? if you do, run a few quarts through your truck. ****, how about a gallon or two. and tell me what you notice. low rates aren't the ONLY way to monitor injector health, but one of the main ways."

Yep, everything from p/u trucks and vans with diesels to Class 8 road tractors and farm tractors, even 2 diesel generators. I also have all the factory service programs in my shop laptops for Cummins (Insite) Caterpillar (Cat ET) along with Detroit, Isuzu, International and a couple of other off brands. I run a mobile truck maintenance/repair business so I subscribe to all the major repair/diagnostics program services (and that ain't cheap).

"i said quiet @ idle ;) neighboors shoot up through their bedroom ceilings when they hear it WOT :D "

Oh, well that's ok then. :)

By the way, what was the H word that was bleeped out? You can write it with spaces between the letters like "w o r d" so it doesn't get edited out.

I'll have to stop over at the dieselplace and check it out.

no no no, i removed my CAT. trucks an 05

well, as far as the DPF, we're both wrong. 07.5, at least for GM.

the word was h-e-l-l. just thought it was funny.

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives #15  
I wasn't talking about light duty trucks. Some Ford's had Cat's as far back as the old 7.3L IDI engines back in the 90's. I can remember finding my first pluged up one while I was working at the local International truck dealer. I was talking about over the road class 8 trucks.

note that i said DPF, not CAT. did you mean you've seen DPF's back that far?

don't know a lot about the big rig deezils, so bear with me.

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives #17  
Nope, I ment Cat. Ford used a type of catylic converter on diesel engines for 1 or 2 years back in the 90's. It didn't work out so well and they discontinued using them. Probably because they kept plugging up.

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives #18  
Ohh I got to get in this one since I KNOW ive put more d-max injectors in than you 2 have seen on the road, lol.

First - stanadyne perfomance formula is better suited for the old 6.5 than the d-max, use standyne Power Junior, how do I know this? Gm engineers told me and I watched the balance rated drop from +/- 5 to into the 2-3 range just by adding it.

Second - GM is not responsible for what you put in your fuel tank, translation - say one of your injectors has an electrical failure and you take it in. One of the steps to confirming the injector failure is to take a fuel sample, rut ro your in trouble now, the tech sees a out of wack api reading or funky looking fuel and calls gm. I have seen warranties blocked due to failure to maintain, blocked means no one can do warranty work on it.

Third - ultra low sulfer is fine for your tractor and truck and so is your standyne additive use the performance formula in your tractor and power junior in your truck. I use it every 2 or 3 fill ups in my tractor.

Forth -tractors are way behind in technology from your truck so think old school with them, I think in a pinch id use atf as an extra lubicant to the fuel befor i got out the crisco, some chain saw oil, lard, KY, and whatever else i could find slick lying around, lol j/k

In short i dont know the fuel system on that green thing your buying but i doubt it is anywhere close to the loud thing your driving. Water is your biggest problem in diesel, take care of that and all will be good. Since you tractor will sit more than your truck, condensation will be an issue so a good microbiocyde everyonce in awhile might be a good idea. As for the engine oil i use rotella and recomend it to any diesel owner. I use syn blend in my gas burners but thats another topic.

ohh and just for the record i saw a bullitin from gm which said it recomends only running #2 diesel fuel in their systems so that gives them ammo for fighting fuel system issues with trucks running on anything but #2

I agree with dieselpower on the deposite issue, its always good to listen to the guy who has had the heads off multiple diesel engines and knows what he is seeing.

1695 d-max injectors replaced and counting
5 d-max engines replaced and counting
wire repairs on d-max i lost count
egr on d-max 15
fuel senders 38
fuel contaminated d-max 67 (most were the intelligent people who filled them full of gas)
water pumps 81
fuel pumps 327

i keep the numbers on a board in my stalls for my customers to see

6.5 diesel payed for my last house
6.6 is paying for the new one and the tractor

workinallthetime said:
6.5 diesel payed for my last house
6.6 is paying for the new one and the tractor

LMFAO :D

surprised you've replaced that many CP3s.

not surprised at the injectors though! let me guess, 95% of those were yanked out of an LB7?

stanadyne performance lowered balance rates significantly when i started using it (~5000mi) and the use of the oil has knocked them down to **** near perfect.

i'll have to try some of that Jr. stuff. what's different about it? i know the lubricity formula is pretty popular with the dmax guys, but not nearly as much as the performance formula is. probably because it's a lot easier to find.

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives #20  
As for the differnce i dunno, lol. While at one of the gm classes on another engine an engineer and a rep were there playing with a "buy back" truck. They called us in there to watch the whole thing. he pulled the fuel filter off and filled it half full of power junior which is way more than you would use on a regualr basis and fired it up. Five minutes later the balance rates were all good, 2 days later they were still good. The performance formula is easier to find because it is manditory that when a 6.5 injection pump is replaced that has to be added to the fuel. but anywhere that sells one can get the other.
You do understand what the balance rate is dont you? Its basically the amout of time the injector stays open to compensate for a number of conditions happening. The majority of injecotor failures to start with were on the lb7's due to "ball seat erosion" or p.o.s. building i call it. Now the majority of what i see on those old ones is white smoking. This is due to a build up of microbes in the injecotor inlet side. Now the lly's have a wire problem that will shut down a bank and its an easy fix. Im kinda wondering if your vast seliction of additives might cause problems down the road with the fuel pressure regulator or fuel rail pressure sensor, only time will tell,lol.

Isuzu 4 and 6 cylinder d-max uses isuzu injectors, they can have up to 7 events happening during 1 ignition cycle. I think they are only using 3 now, when the contract is up with bosch i hope that gm uses a isuzu fuel system. Same basic set up as d-max 6.6 without F I C M and seem to be alot more relaible. You ought to see the balance rate of a engine with gas in it or one with a missing piston ( befor it siezes up) its pretty wild.

ohh and 50 bucks cash to the tech makes all contamination issues disapear, lol

what year is your truck?

Last edited: