Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine

/ Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine
akpilot said:
Very nice!! Around here making your own topsoil is like finding gold:rolleyes:
Again good job and thanks for the video!!

AKpilot, Thank you!
Seeing your screener and getting all that useful information from your experience really helped a lot. ;)

/ Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine #62  
SkunkWerX said:
First,
I would like to give credit to AKPILOT for the inspiration and answering all of my dumb questions. ;)
AK's screening plant thread can be found here:
Akpilot's Screening Plant Thread

I used Ak's basic design, which I think is the basic design for most of these rigs. My BX's bucket is just under 48" wide, so, I made the screening bed 4 feet wide x 6 feet long. Was originally going to use a full 8 feet, but it was just too long. Hopefully the 6 foot length will allow most of the screening to take place before "waterfalling" off the end. I was looking for the most vibration at the shallowest angle for the most efficient (full) screening of the material.

DirtScreener.jpg

Features:
-The Back (loading end) and Front (waterfall end) height are both adjustable.
-Used ATV coil springs.
-Interchangeable expanded metal screens, with abilty to overlay hardware cloth for finer screening of compost, potting soil and such.
-Sliding/adjustable motor mount for maintaining proper belt tension.
-Honda 5hp G200 motor with quiet muffler.
-Flywheel is 3/8" thick x 2" wide-orange (Yes, it will get a guard)
-Side Unloading of screened material
-Waterfall end will get a plywood divider.
-Will use small wheels and hitch for towing behind tractor. (soon, soon)

It has been test-run in the workshop a few times, needs wheels installed before it can be taken out for it's first real screening. (next day or two hopefully). It really scoots across the concrete floor in the shop!! :eek:

Dirt Screener Side View.jpg

Dirt Screener Flywheel.jpg

I am planning to build a screening plant soon and I'm trying to decide on what to use for a screen. Is the 6' long bed length adequate to completely screen the product or would I be better off with an 8' length ? My tractor bucket is 72" wide and can lift 8' high. If i got 2 4x8 sheets of expanded steel I would then have an 8x8 screen bed. My question then would be, would my motor / flywheel be able to shake the bed. I called my local steel supplier and a 4x8 sheet of 9ga expanded steel is about $85. Would 9 ga hold up ? Is 3/4" a good hole size to start with ? Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions ? I would like to get the screen bed worked out and then build the rest of the plant around that. Any help would be greatly appreciated

bob

Last edited:
   / Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine #63  
By eyeball observation, I get the impression that most of the metal framework is in the 2" range (ie 2 x 2 angles), if so with a full bucket load shaking and vibrating, will that be strong enough? or will it bend under load?

For sure a larger unit needs heavier metal!

If I were to place 2" (like 1/8 thick) angle stock between 2 concrete blocks and jump on it for sure it would bend over a 4ft span.
I have seen a few home brew screens around and the folks tend to use fairly heavy material, true they load with bigger case backhoes and full bucket loads.

/ Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine #64  
The screen I have is 8' wide by 5.5' it was something I already had I didn't build it for this purpose. For my tractor (72" bucket) the size is about perfect, the problem with a long screen is you have to compromise, the longer it is the more you have to compromise, either the angle has to be flatter, the area (inside and behind) have to be smaller i.e. shorter runs between clean ups, or you have to have a ramp to get high enough to dump onto the screen.

My screen frame is built with 1.5"x 1/8" sq tubing, with minimal interior bracing that is a little light "Skunkwerx" used more interior bracing, a much better design. I routinely dump full buckets on the screen and that isn't the problem, its vibration induced cracking has been the problem. Also expanded metal isn't very tough with large unsupported areas rocks will dent the screen making it harder for the vibration to clear the screen especially when screening material with sod clumps they tend to "hang up" in the rock dented areas.

When I build one from scratch, I plan on building a fairly heavy duty frame (1.5 x 1/4 Sq tubing) with replaceable screens .750 is a good size screening topsoil and have made some sand, however I would like to make some < 2 pit run and some real fine sand, so I will need interchangeable screens. I like the overall size of the one I have so I will probably stick with the same size. I also plan on running a cross shaft so that I can run a counterweight on both sides of the screen, I think that will be a little more efficient on the wider screens.

Anyway just my thoughts, i added a pic so you can see the differents between "Skunkwerx's" screen and mine. again if you plan on using expanded metal I would use a design closer to his than mine.

Attachments

• IMG_3305.JPG
    IMG_3305.JPG
    818.6 KB · Views: 2,735
A lot of good questions.
I used 1.5" x 3/16" square tubing, plenty stout for the frame.
Bracing and gussets is a good idea for the long haul.

I agree with AK, the expanded metal needs some other support, especially where you droppnig the loads. Also, consider your angle, the flatter the screening bed, the more support.
I used a grid of 1" angle underneath the expanded metal to keep it from bowing under the weight. Mine is 9 ga. also.
The 6 feet of length is plenty to screen 100% of the material.

The 3/4" expanded is a good size for making topsoil. It will allow, at most, a 1/2" piece through, no larger. Being a gardener I wouldn't want any smaller for planting. Very fine soil would compact too densely and become problematic.

I also got a piece of 1.5" expanded metal and used it first. It's good for cleaning fill dirt where you aren't worried about a few small clods falling through. So, if you were looking to screen rocks for drainage, or just clean out some dirty fill dirt, A piece larger than 3/4" would be the ticket and would be faster.

I'm finding the 3/4" is the one that is staying in the machine, for now.
I've been screening composted material, mostly, so far.

Good luck with your project.

/ Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine #66  
Thanks guys. Alot of good info / feedback. Sounds like an 8x6 screen ( 3/4 inch 9ga ) is what I need and add some good support under it. If I can find a piece of courser / heavier screen to lay on top of the expanded 9ga , or at least in the area that I will be dumping, might be a good idea too. How did the Nyloks work for you Skunk ? I will make my screens interchangeable but my main goal is to make screened loam. I have a 10 acrer field that I intend to " harvest " some top soil from. Im going to strip and stockpile the top soil this year so it will dry out and rot down good, and screen it later this year or next year. Im going to have counterweight on both sides of the screen bed. What size pulleys should I get for the motor and counter weight ? I will add plywood to the 3 sides like you did AK. I'll buy a new motor. Is 5hp plenty of power? Thanks for posting the threads. Ive been thinking about building a screen for a long time and following your projects on TBN has been an inspiration for me to get busy and git 'er Done :D

bob

Bob,

Counter-weight on both sides is good idea, since your screening area is wider/larger and carrying a heavier load.

With your topsoil/loam material, it sounds like you will be OK dumping directly onto the 3/4" exp. metal. When placing your bracing underneath, just keep in mind a little extra in that are won't hurt. If you are gonig with the 8 foot wide by 6 foot long screen bed, it sounds like you will have a 2'x8' peice leftover?
Suggestion: double up the top 2 foot section where most of the dumping will occur. by welding the pieces together, then place your full 4' x 8' sheet at the bottom, run off area.

Alternate idea: Make a grate out of rebar, perhaps 2" opening, and dump into the rebar, it will act to break up the load, and soften the landing onto the 3/4" exp metal.

You can't have too many fasteners. the nyloks are holding, a couple came loose, but didn't spin all the way off like other hardware.

Consider using some flatstock on top of the bed, with the hardware drilled through it, rather than just nuts, bolts and washers. That is one thing I plan to add at some point.

Will you be running a drive shaft across to the other side for the far-end counter weight? I conisdered it. If so, conisider a full length counter weight? Use stout shafting material, and weld a piece of solid square stock to it?

Look forward to your project!

/ Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine #68  
Im starting m ]y screener this week. I got a free mountain of compostd leaves from an illegal dump site im cleaning up. The leaves hadnt been debagged. I saw your video and want to make mine now. I was leaning towards a trommel but theres not a shop near me that can roll the hoops i need. I have a heavy ladder rack I pulled off a small truck I bought. Its gonna be the frame. I also have 2 sheets of woven screen from a gravel screen. My 2 skid steer buckets I will be using will be 5.5 feet and 6 foot. I will have to cut one screen in half and weld it to the other one to make it fit the ladder rack frame.
I want to put my eccentric on each side of the screen because of the width. I have an electric start honda copy motor today to go on it. Theres a few things I want to bry before building it. I saw a screener that had a wide mouth at the top for the bucket width. Then funneled down to the 4 foot wide screen. I have been screening the compost by dumping it on on of the screens with it propped on an old well house.

I hope to post a few pics of what Ive got to work with. If my brother wasnt building a vibratory post driver for his mini ex I would buy the vibratory plow unit he pulled off a trencher. I need to dig around in my junk piles to find a few coul springs to mount it on.

Im starting m ]y screener this week. I got a free mountain of compostd leaves from an illegal dump site im cleaning up. The leaves hadnt been debagged. I saw your video and want to make mine now. I was leaning towards a trommel but theres not a shop near me that can roll the hoops i need. I have a heavy ladder rack I pulled off a small truck I bought. Its gonna be the frame. I also have 2 sheets of woven screen from a gravel screen. My 2 skid steer buckets I will be using will be 5.5 feet and 6 foot. I will have to cut one screen in half and weld it to the other one to make it fit the ladder rack frame.
I want to put my eccentric on each side of the screen because of the width. I have an electric start honda copy motor today to go on it. Theres a few things I want to bry before building it. I saw a screener that had a wide mouth at the top for the bucket width. Then funneled down to the 4 foot wide screen. I have been screening the compost by dumping it on on of the screens with it propped on an old well house.

I hope to post a few pics of what Ive got to work with. If my brother wasnt building a vibratory post driver for his mini ex I would buy the vibratory plow unit he pulled off a trencher. I need to dig around in my junk piles to find a few coul springs to mount it on.

It sounds like you have a very good plan. For leaves there is no issue, but if you intend to dump dirt that has rocks and clods onto the screener, you may want to build a "clod buster", which could be rebar welded criss-cross, perhaps on 4 inch centers? (just a guess). This would break up the chunks of dirt before hitting the actual screen bed.

The angle is another consideration. Angle is a trade off.

Steep angle = faster screening, but loss of some good material that spills over the edge too fast.
Shallow Angle = Slower screening. You can do a better job of screening, but, beware moist material and clumps may cause a log jam.

Just something to think about. Consider making your angle fully adjustable so you can dial it in for the material you are screening.

Good luck! post some pics!

/ Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine #70  
I live near a limestone quarry and Can get a 3 by 3 stone screen pretty easy. I dont really have to worry about stones here except for a few sand rocks on the rarity. I have
95 persent of what im gonna be screening will be the leaf compost from the leaf dump Im cleaning up. A town near me had a leaf dump that they were puttin the whole bags into. I worked out a deal with them if I use my excavator and dump truck to clean it up I can have the compost. I have to dispose of the shredded bags which the landfill I work for can take for a cover material. I found that a good big bag catcher is a cattle panel in a stiff frame to catch the big sheets of plastic.

This stuff is stinky and slimy at first because its been under the ground and damp, Ive piled a few loads here over the months and it will dry out quickly if I roll it one time with the loader. i had it on my place across the road with near an old house im tearing down. I set one of my donor screens against the house and have bees screening it with my loader dumping in it a llittle at a time or throwing against it with a shovel. I know theres a couple thousand yards at the dump for me to screen lol. Its perfect to build the soil for my truck patch, and help fix my clay.

My biggest worry is not having enough vibration. I want to mount my coil springs on the back at the top and then I want to mount my front on some rubber bushings we pulled off some huge shock absorbers that came off a bus. That way I can have a pivot point to adjust my angle. I want to do as much right as I can now so I wont have to redo much. I saw your video for the first time since I got some highspeed.