Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine

/ Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine
I'm not sure, but I would be concerned that the rubber bushings would ****** vibration, rather than encourage it?

From my observations, you need the vibration to be robust down at the end where the material spills off. If not, it will create a log jam, and material won't move.

I'm not saying this will definitely happen with the rubber bushings, just something to keep in mind.

/ Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine #72  
I was thinking about this today, then jack pot service building threw out some larger springs from an RV enging compart ment with hooks on the ends about 1.5 inches diamerer and 8 inches long. I thought about coil springs on all 4 corners. like large atv springs

I was thinking about this today, then jack pot service building threw out some larger springs from an RV enging compart ment with hooks on the ends about 1.5 inches diamerer and 8 inches long. I thought about coil springs on all 4 corners. like large atv springs

That sounds like it would give you plenty of vibration top to bottom and sll around.

Good luck!

/ Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine #74  
What an interesting thread - thanks to all who've provided input.

I'm well on the way to completing a vibrating screen - have had a test run and it vibrates nicely.

I'm attempting to screen sand and dirt out of the blue metal driveway area in my yard. I'm thinking of a woven wire sceen with an aperture of around 2.5mm (1/10th "), a little coarser than the average flyscreen.

However looking on the net it appears most screens of this size come with 'Hooks' to tension the screen and they say;
'Remember to tension your screen cloths to drum head tightness and keep
them at this degree of tightness for maximum performance
and long life".

Can anybody set me wise as to how the hooks are supposed to help tension the screen and what the "drum head tightness" means.

allenr,

I don't know how to answer your question.
It is a good one, but, you are screening at a much finer level than anything I have seen in any tractor or "dirt" forum.

A 2.5mm (1/4") screen is going to yield some very very fine material when compared to what most of us are screening.

/ Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine #76  
I run my screens extremely tight. Mine has a 5/8" x 4" piece of curved steel (about 2" +- of curve in 4'). I tighten the bolts until the steel is almost straight.

The tighter the better, a saggy screen will not vibrate well.

Not sure what you mean by hooks. Mine has a curved cup shapped rail on each end that grabs the bar.

/ Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine #77  
Thanks SkunkWerX and atgreene.

I was planning to lay the woven mesh over the supports and then clamp it tight around the outside frame with one side of a 1" angle.

But it's becoming clear that I'll need to tension it - probably critical that it be tensioned given that it's a lot more flexible than the heavier mesh screens you guys are using.

Should I tension it in line with the vibration or at right angle to the vibration - or both ways?

I'm thinking inline with vibration may be all that is required.

I think you need to tension it both directions, like you would isntalling a window screen.

Is there any way to clamp the edges tight, perhaps sandwiching it between pieces of flat steel stock?

If so, then you could tension by pulling on the flat stock and not the screen material itself. One example would be drilling holes in the flat stock, and using some taught springs. Hopefully my description conveys the idea.

/ Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine #79  
I think you need to tension it both directions, like you would isntalling a window screen.

Is there any way to clamp the edges tight, perhaps sandwiching it between pieces of flat steel stock?

If so, then you could tension by pulling on the flat stock and not the screen material itself. One example would be drilling holes in the flat stock, and using some taught springs. Hopefully my description conveys the idea.

Yes, I get the idea and yes I'm sure I'll come up with something - just not as simple as I'd originally envisaged.

I'll post some pics in a month or two - I only get to spend a couple hours on it on Sundays after worship and before lunch!

/ Motorized Dirt Soil Screening Machine #80  
Bring this back from the dead, but I have been looking at building a dirt screen and found a few of your builds on here, and am taking your leads, and I am taking parts from all three that I liked the most. I have a 1/3hp electric motor on its way, thats 115v and spins at 1750rpms. I got two coil spings from a nissan pathfinder, and I got two 1/2'' minus gravel screens. The openings are like 5/8 or 3/4". I Belive using these kinds of screens will have alot more benifits over the kinds your using, mainly cause they are designed to move material off the screen, but I do believe it may mean I will have to keep the angle low to keep dirt balls from moving off the top. I am curious about what rpm causes vibrations the best as I won't have the ability to change rpm except by pulleys. I was thinking of doing a 4 time gear reduction with a 8 in pulley and a 2 in drive pulley. Thanks for all the ideas, and hope to get mine done soon. I am in the dirt buisness, and need to get roots, and some rock out of our topsoil. I also think I might try to make some gravel, buy running 3/4'' crushed gravel through and separate the chips from the fines and make 1/2" minus and gravel chips. Should work, hopefully. Got around 300.00 budget. Gonna make a frame for the screen with 2" angle iron and 1 1/2" flatbar to bolt the screen to the frame. Pictures and video will come if all goes as plan. Any pointers will be much appricated.