mouse deterrant.....winters coming

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #71  
I had some raccoons take up residence in a shop attic. I opened the end louver, stuck my leaf blower into the attic, revved it up and sprinkled some cayenne into the suction side (air inlet). They were gone by the next day, probably relocated as soon as it got dark.

Now that is some smart thinking :thumbsup:

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #72  
Last winter at least four mice got into my RV and caused much damage. There were droppings all over and rubber chewed. The worst was that they ate most of my auto registration!

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #73  
A well fed cat seems to be our greatest mouse catcher
Feed the cat and it seems to catch them for fun instead of having to rely on it for a food source.
And the cat will generally hang out near where you feed it instead of in some distant field somewhere looking for its next meal

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #74  
I keep all my equipment inside my insulated and heated garages and shop. About 3 years ago mice built a nest under the seat of my Kawasaki Brute Force ATV and chewed all the insulation from every available wire. I had been using Bounce Dryer Sheets in my Kubota L39 and had no mice problems. For the next 3 years I've stuffed Bounce Dryer Sheets in every ATV, Motorcycle, Tractor, etc that I have and have not had any further problems. I also have a cat and also set peanut butter baited traps!!

A friend up the road has an older Honda ATV and no mice problems. It appears that the Japanese use a Soy Based Insulation on the newer equipment that the mice love!!

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #75  
Seems like plenty of votes for cats, but I can't have them round my place as it borders national park and is a haven for birds and other nice little native critters.

The mice were virtually at plague proportions in early spring, so I learnt a lot about them. Had to throw out a brand new oven in the house I just bought as the mice had taken a shine to the wadding insulation and the thing was totally infested. As others have said, they can get through the tiniest gap. If you can put your pinky through it, it isn't mouseproof.

Couple of things I learned:

Block all the holes you can. Expandafoam in a can is great for this and the mice don't like it. Also, mice only work really hard to get in somewhere if they can smell food. They don't tunnel like mad just to see if there's a nice comfy nesting site on the other side. It isn't an all-or-nothing thing either - they aren't exactly clever - if you halve the number of holes for them to get in, you probably halve the number of mice that get in.

Don't put baits in places you don't want mice. The baits attract them. Put the baits where you DO want the mice. Let them set up a nice little home near the baits and eat and $#!t and die away from whatever you are trying to protect. I couldn't believe my neighbours putting bait all through their houses and then complaining they had mice inside. I put all my baits outside the house, blocked the ingress points as best I could and just put a couple of traps down inside to get the buggers that did get in, and I had the least problems with mice despite the house already being infested when I bought it. Old habits die hard though, I was the new guy and they wouldn't listen...

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #76  
I put half a dozen sticky traps throughout my barn yesterday. This morning they were all gone! ??? :confused:

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #77  
I put half a dozen sticky traps throughout my barn yesterday. This morning they were all gone! ??? :confused:

Maybe packrats
Sounds bad but its kinda funny watching them drag glue traps or too small of a mouse trap around;)

Algebra time

Garage+Wood Stove+ BB gun+Beer*packrats=Friday night entertainment :laughing:

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #80  
This morning I went to use my JD450C loader. Coolant went all over engine when it started. Mice had chewed a hole completely through a small coolant hose and built a nest on top of the engine. Took about an hour to replace hose. I think I will try the dryer sheets tucked in my equipment.