Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics)

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #11  
I use a Bridgeport everyday and they are very good pieces of machinery. But I have to say that New Holland probably will give better service.

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #12  
Drivades, I recently bought a Series 1, 2hp vari-drive, 48" Bridgeport that is also just sitting in my garage as I try to figure out how to get it down into my basement workshop. I have straight in wooden stairs from the garage into the basement, but even after dismantling this machine, the bare base alone without the knee weighs about 1,000 pounds! I'll be real interested in hearing what you come up with as you move yours down. Bill

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #13  
I've talked to some boiler installers that move 2500 lb boilers into basements in two pieces by nailing 2x10 skids on the stairs and sliding the halves down with a comealong holding them back. The problem at the bottom is getting the two halves stacked again.

One had a little aluminum manual forklift that did the job nicely.

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #14  
I've talked to some boiler installers that move 2500 lb boilers into basements in two pieces by nailing 2x10 skids on the stairs and sliding the halves down with a comealong holding them back. The problem at the bottom is getting the two halves stacked again.

One had a little aluminum manual forklift that did the job nicely.
I have a portable shop crane that I plan to use to disassemble and reassemble the Bridgeport, so that's not a problem. The biggest issue I'm thinking about it the transition point as I begin to tilt the base (1,000 lbs) from a level position at the top of the stairs to the 45 degree angle to slide down the stairs. I'll move the base into position at the top of the stairs with my portable crane, but somehow I'll also need to hook up my cable winch that I plan to use to control the slide down the stairs.

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #15  
Put down something like 2x10's or 2x12's on your stairs, then put several pipe or some kind of round bars under the machine and let it roll down. When it rolls past a piece of pipe pick it up and move it ahead. Obviously you have to have some kind of winch or come along to control the speed to a slow crawl or it will take off on you. I moved a heavy safe into the basement of a friends house that way.

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #16  
Wow, the front tires on that NH TN didn't even sag while lifting that monster! Very impressive. That Bridgeport is very sweet.
Hey, since you want to collect machinery, I have a Pratt & Whitney lathe micrometer. I think it has a 4 foot bed. Let me know if you're interested. It's WAAAY lighter than the Bridgeport, no need to use a tractor to lift it!;)

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #17  
Oooh aaaah. Very nice

I think you need to build a shop instead of having the trouble of putting it into the basement. At least that's what you should tell the wife!!!

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #18  
Oooh aaaah. Very nice

I think you need to build a shop instead of having the trouble of putting it into the basement. At least that's what you should tell the wife!!!
Well, if I had the room on my property, that's what I would do. But I don't, so I'm stuck with moving heavy things in (and out) of the basement. At least I have stairway access to the basement from the garage. Some of my friends have to move their heavy machinery into the kitchen in order to access the basement stairs. That's a LOT HARDER to explain to the wife!

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #19  
There have been several stories and pictures captured with just your problem in mind. I still remember the guy that built the wooden trailer and haul home his bridgeport on it, then across a grassy yard and into a hole in the ground that was his access to his basement. Just remember where there is a will, there is a way, but also remember to do it safely.
My 2j has been my mainstay when it comes to milling, but the hardest task was moving my Maho 600 home. It was a "gotta be moved NOW deal" and I brought it home in the back of my half ton pickup. (All 4300 -4500 pounds of it) Book weight is 4200 plus fluids and transformer, yikes!!! Five to fifteen miles per hour tops at three in the morning so no traffic, except the local drug dealers and hookers.
Just remember, like tractors, when you buy a Bridgeport, it is just the beginning of the expense. You still have all the attachments, measuring devices, stock, clamps, rotary tables, and the list goes on and on. Sounds like you got a good start on it with yours though!
David from jax

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics)
Nightshift Heres a link to a guy who put a bridgeport in his basement:Bridgeport in the Basement. The Practical machinist site has a number of threads related to this. As for mine, I got as far as removing the ram and head. I'll be lowering it into my basement via the bilco doors also so its pretty doable. I moved my lathe the same way, though its not nearly as large or heavy. In your case, I would do something as Dodgeman suggested, though not sure if I would stand it up when sliding, but may want to lay it on its side to lower the CG and spread the load. Be safe, and deliberate and be sure the staircase can handle the load. Also, consider how you would get it out of the basement in the future. Raising 1K lbs up a staircase could be tougher than lowering. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Edit: Sandman, looks like we read the same postings.