Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics)

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #21  
Yes, I've studied that guys (very creative) method of moving and lowering his BP into his basement. My job would look "easy" to him! Like I said before, I can easily disassemble and move the pieces over to the top of the stairs. And getting all the pieces down the stairs on 2x10 boards screwed to the stairs will be no problem for me to do by myself. The biggest thing I'm concerned about is getting the base started down the "slide". I will try to remember to post some pictures as I do it for others to see. Bill

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #22  
I would look for a place to put a comealong anchor that will hold in excess of a ton of weight. For a lighter machine, and depending on the angle of your staircase, a well anchored wall might hold a portion of that weight, but would need reinforcement from another point further back. Look for places to put anchor bolts that won't be noticed when removed, and inflict the wrap of SWMBO. Using a timber/steel beam across the door opening, lagged bolted to the floor, with allthread ran to the wall across the room, with plates on the other side might be a way to hold it. Variations such as a flat plate with an eyebolt incase you can't get "over" a piece of angle, or other things like that.
A rolling cart built at an angle to keep the mill upright that comes up flat at the top of the stairs might be a way to ease the lowering, provided you have the headroom to take it down. That would allow you to keep the mill upright.Brakes on the wheels might help, but I wouldn't trust them to stop the mill, just as a backup.Being able to lower it to flat after reaching the bottom of the stairs would be a plus...
Consider everybody's ideas, and decide which might work for you, and let us take another swing at it to help figure out the weak points of how you decide to do it.
Nothing worse than dropping your mill and having to listen to how much it costs to replace that wall/floor you damaged in your WIFE'S HOUSE!!!(she wouldn't let you forget it)
David from jax

Oh by the way, those parts in my profile(avatar) belong to a milling machine...

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #23  
David and others, I appreciate your help and advise as I tackle this. To help orientate you with my situation, I've taken a few pictures of the stairway from the garage to the basement. The stairwell is 37" wide, so lots of room with a standard 32" exterior door at the bottom. I will (obviously) move the stuff at the top of the stairs (pressure washer, shop crane and compressor) to clear the path. I don't know if the little 36" wall to the left of the garage door is strong enough to anchor my 2 ton cable winch which I plan to use to control the downslide of the base. I plan to screw a couple 2x12's to the stairs to create a slide for the base. All other pieces of the mill are lighter than the base (1,000 lbs) so I know I can get them downstair ok.

Here's the mill before disassembly in the garage, and then the stairs. Appreciate your ideas. Bill

Attachments

• Mill 1.jpg
    Mill 1.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 3,803
  • Stairway 001.jpg
    Stairway 001.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 572
  • Stairway 002.jpg
    Stairway 002.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 419
  • Stairway 003.jpg
    Stairway 003.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 475
  • Stairway 004.jpg
    Stairway 004.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 421
   / Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #24  
I would give some thought to building a cradle for the base of your Bridgeport out of 2X material so that it could be lowered down the stairs on it's side. It wouldn't have to be fancy, but I would be a lot more comfortable with that much weight more evenly distributed, and closer to the floor than it would be standing. Built with some thought it might even make it easier to get it moved into position for lowering. I.E. you could roll it to the head of the stairs on rollers, etc.

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #25  
Do you have 3-phase power or will you use a converter?

I have mine set-up with a home made rotary 3-phase converter...

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #26  
Do you have 3-phase power or will you use a converter?
It's a 2hp, vari-speed 3 phase motor and I have a couple VFDs (ABB and AB) that I can use to power it from single phase.

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #27  
I would give some thought to building a cradle for the base of your Bridgeport out of 2X material so that it could be lowered down the stairs on it's side. It wouldn't have to be fancy, but I would be a lot more comfortable with that much weight more evenly distributed, and closer to the floor than it would be standing. Built with some thought it might even make it easier to get it moved into position for lowering. I.E. you could roll it to the head of the stairs on rollers, etc.
Chuck, I like your idea there. I had already decided I was not going to try and lower the base down the stairs in an upright position ... there is no point in making the centre of gravity any higher than it needs to be ... and the lower the better. I'm not sure I need to make a 2x4 base to slide it down on, as I'm guessing there is enough weight that it will slide quite readily when laying on it's side, and hence the need to control the slide with my cable winch. The tricky part will be the transition from a vertical position on my shop crane to an angled position as it lays down on the 2x12 slides on the stairs.

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics)
Nightshift, do you know what model ABB VFD you have? My neighbor just dropped a major present to me, an ABB Model CS350, what a score. He asked me for a log to use as a base for his anvil, and noticed the mill sitting there. After I dropped off the log, he handed over an unopened factory box with the VFD. One of his customers didn't use it so.....I'll be making good use of it. I'll have to rewire the motor from 460 to 230 to make it work. When moving my mill I made good use of a Johnson bar. These are kind of a 6' pry bar on wheels. If you don't have one, it could be pretty hand helping you jimmy the mill down that first step from your garage. BTW, don't you just love doing this stuff:D

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #29  
Nightshift, do you know what model ABB VFD you have? My neighbor just dropped a major present to me, an ABB Model CS350, what a score. He asked me for a log to use as a base for his anvil, and noticed the mill sitting there. After I dropped off the log, he handed over an unopened factory box with the VFD. One of his customers didn't use it so.....I'll be making good use of it. I'll have to rewire the motor from 460 to 230 to make it work. When moving my mill I made good use of a Johnson bar. These are kind of a 6' pry bar on wheels. If you don't have one, it could be pretty hand helping you jimmy the mill down that first step from your garage. BTW, don't you just love doing this stuff:D

Mine sounds the same as yours ... it's an ACS350 designed for 220v single phase input with 200-240v 3 phase output for 2 HP motors. So it's the perfect VFD for my 2HP 3 phase 220v motor on the mill. I got it brand new off a seller on eBay who had them left over from a job ... maybe the same guy? Bill

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics)
Wouldn't surprise me if it was. Do you mind me asking what you paid for it? I was getting ready to spend a couple of three bills on one of these.