Moving A Building W/Pictures!

/ Moving A Building W/Pictures!
Re: Moving A Building W/Pictures! All Done

<font color="blue"> Is that actually curved glass in the turret windows, or is it an optical illusion? </font>

Yes, it is real curved glass. Pretty cool stuff.

We have no overhead lines in our downtown area. Everything is burried, except in some alleys. Makes moves easier.

/ Moving A Building W/Pictures! #42  

Boy, that is quite the difference from a year ago! They did a real good job moving that old building! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Moving A Building W/Pictures! #43  

Yep,

Look like it always belonged there. Bet some townspeople have some memory checks to do, eh?

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Moving A Building W/Pictures! #44  
Moss Road, when i helped my brother when he owned his own dirt moving company he had the job to remove the city mule barn from the face of the earth. It was the oldest building in town where the municpal garbage wagons and mules where kept. We rummage throught the antiques and all then started tearin it down. Some folks vandalized ther equipment one night. They left a note saying it was a disgrace to tear a historic site down. The man that bought it told the historic society they could move it or buy the property for 800 dollars an acre. They refused and tried to have it siezed as a land mark but after they gave that threat he had us come in and haul it out 12 yards at a time. THe historical folks would throw rocks at the truck i drove on the way to the fill. They blocked the road one morning with debris just loaded them up to. I could see their point to keep the place but i think of all the dope pipes and needles in the place that the criminal element left. I didnt like having to lock down the euipmnt at night with pannels and screens.
WroughtNHarv Your post about the 5 ton truck reminded me of a job in In Tuscumbia Alabama about 30 miles from here. Its a solid rock field and we we hauling red clay and shot rock on the job. The boss put me in a 9000 Ford 10 wheeler with a 14 yard bed and a 13 speed while my hoe was down . We had a mile to haul the spoil to a screeining plant all off road. My friend Jerry loaded us all havy for the long trip and I was lead wagon. I got tabout 50 feet away from the loading pit and with a load and this guy in a little cab over Mack was sittin in the road by the office with a load of pipe fittings. I stopped and asked the driver to back up and he told me that it was my problem that if i was a good driver i couldgo arond which mean one side would be elevatd a bit. He swore a and called me an idiot so i hauled tail around him about the time a 500 pound mud and rock chunk rolled off the top and tool out the mirrior, antenna, and drivers glass. He went in the office on on the way back I had got behind my friend driving an old DM600 Mack and the fella in the cabover not having a mirror whipped his door open in front of the 600 which took that all the wy off and bent the jamb.
I cant believe all the folks on a job site that dont use the rule of the lugnut. If it has more lugnuts than you do its got the R O W. There is a logger here that has an old 5 ton for a pull out truck and at a stop light he had lost a car under his nose. He then waited a minute when the light turned green to let the car leave and it didnt so he figured i was gone and proceeded. I gotthere in a few minutes after it hapened and saw the couple and their volvo mashed. It turned out they were having an arguement and missed the light. They were shaking I can imagine as the trucks front differential housing was tail window level.

/ Moving A Building W/Pictures! #45  

Funny thing, this is the third location that building has occupied. It was moved maybe 20? years ago and sat empty for the whole time. Still had cables and plywood on all those round turret windows. Last year it moved again but must have found better soil /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Dave, do you know where it originally sat versus where it is now?

Oops, guess I should have gone back and re-read some of your first posts Dave. It's all covered way back there /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="blue">Dave, do you know where it originally sat versus where it is now?

Oops, guess I should have gone back and re-read some of your first posts Dave. It's all covered way back there </font>

Hee, hee. That building probably has more mileage on it than some of the cars in the Studebaker museum /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Moving A Building W/Pictures! #47  

Thanks for making this post, David. I've looked at all your photos several times and enjoyed them every time. I showed my girlfriend the final photo first and then showed her the photos of the building being moved. She was as amazed as I am. The building is truly a classic and a fitting office for the historical society. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bump from 9 years ago. Someone was asking about moving a brick building, so here you go. Lots of pictures if you start from the beginning. Enjoy!